Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager - 2nd Edition of 2022

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Regarding the Duncan Ferguson speculation; this is surely an example of the worst type of shite we see around Scottish managerial speculation.

1) Kens the club from years ago. So what?

2) He's hard and will 'sort them oot'. Firstly, it's not the 1980s anymore. Secondly, this is based purely on his reputation for being mental years ago. Do folk think he's going to walk into the dressing room, batter the players, and they'll start winning? Fucking idiocy.

3) He's worked with famous people. Completely irrelevant. He has extremely limited experience as a first-team coach and United are bottom of the league.

Any coaching appointment is a 'wait and see' effort, as there's a million reasons why it might work or not work. But the basis for hiring Ferguson at the moment seems flimsy. Maybe he'd do a tremendous interview, I don't know. But from what's public about him, there's nothing to suggest a strong candidate.

I've seen some people suggesting he hates the SFA so much that he'd never consider returning to Scotland. These people obviously missed that he did his coaching badges with the SFA in Largs just a few years ago. So, maybe he'd be up for it, maybe not, but I don't see a strong basis for him being a good candidate.

I heard one United fan on the radio say they wanted "an experienced manager like Duncan Ferguson" 🤨

It would be a great 'banter' appointment though and would generate some interest in the Scottish game although I find it unlikely that it would be particularly beneficial for United.

Ferguson gives me the impression that he's something of a manchild.

Surely Duncan Ferguson would be wanting a wage Dundee United couldn't match? Folk will say some guys would take a cut for a shot at their managerial job, but I imagine he's on very good cash at Everton and has a job for as long he wants. If he's going to take the risk of leaving that behind then he's surely going to demand a substantial wage. How will Dundee United be able to pay that?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Surely Duncan Ferguson would be wanting a wage Dundee United couldn't match? Folk will say some guys would take a cut for a shot at their managerial job, but I imagine he's on very good cash at Everton and has a job for as long he wants. If he's going to take the risk of leaving that behind then he's surely going to demand a substantial wage. How will Dundee United be able to pay that?

I thought he had already left Everton?

Big Dunc might, or might not, be offered the job, but I don't think the salary will be a deal breaker. He chose to leave Everton so that he could move into the Manager's role and he's probably already wealthy through his 'property empire'. 

39 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

This is off the mark. Ferguson is a lot more intelligent than given credit for. As people have said, it's his lack of experience that is the big red flag.

I hadn't realised he has already left Everton looking for a management post so it maybe isn't as outlandish as I first thought.  Ferguson also looked after his money very well so perhaps salary may not be his main concern.

58 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I heard one United fan on the radio say they wanted "an experienced manager like Duncan Ferguson" 🤨

It would be a great 'banter' appointment though and would generate some interest in the Scottish game although I find it unlikely that it would be particularly beneficial for United.

That guy is the dad of one of the kids in my bairns team. It would be very generous to say he's a few pence short of a shilling. 

20 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

How does two months & a bit as permanent manager stack up in terms of shortest tenures as permanent manager in Scottish fitba history?

He at least managed 7 games.  Didn't Ray McKinnon dump Morton for Falkirk after managing 0 competitive games (and then lead Falkirk to relegation) a few years ago?