1 minute ago, Nelson said:

You stated that it has been Morton’s policy for 20 years to use the main stand for away fans with the WDE used on the day as an overflow if needed.  You stated that if a large away support is expected then the club decides in advance to use the WDE.

I know this isn’t the case given I stood in the cowshed as recently as 2018.  

Aye, and you stated that ‘the pitch invasion thing is clearly just an excuse’, so sit the f**k doon.

This has been explained to you by (at least) three separate posters now, so you ‘clearly’ just want something to moan about.

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, and you stated that ‘the pitch invasion thing is clearly just an excuse’, so sit the f**k doon.

This has been explained to you by (at least) three separate posters now, so you ‘clearly’ just want something to moan about.

Hence the reason I said it was clearly an excuse and not remotely a justification for the shambolic ticketing arrangements..  Telling the paying customer that you can pay 22 quid up front for a covered seat in the stand but might end up standing in the rain is pretty abysmal.  I’m still not clear whether there really is a genuine pay at the gate option.   I get that fans will always jump to defend their own club from criticism, but sometimes you have to consider whether the “moaners” might have a point.

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Hence the reason I said it was clearly an excuse and not remotely a justification for the shambolic ticketing arrangements..  Telling the paying customer that you can pay 22 quid up front for a covered seat in the stand but might end up standing in the rain is pretty abysmal.  I’m still not clear whether there really is a genuine pay at the gate option.   I get that fans will always jump to defend their own club from criticism, but sometimes you have to consider whether the “moaners” might have a point.

The legitimate ticketing concerns have been addressed and agreed with by multiple Morton fans. The knicker-wetting over what has been club policy for decades because you once experienced a life affirming Woodstock-like experience  at cappielow in 2018 is rightly getting the pelters it deserves. 

Edited by port-ton

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

I wouldn’t defend ‘my club’ against general criticisms about how they deal with their ‘customer base’ (home or away); it’s generally atrocious and has to improve (and don’t get us started on why there’s no roof on the WDE, or the thread will burn…).

But that doesn’t explain why, suddenly, arrangements that have been in place for decades, with the occasional experiment, are being talked about as if it’s a feckin human rights issue.

Bring more supporters and don’t invade the pitch and there is no issue with where you’re accommodated (and then you can legitimately complain about the shit ticketing arrangements).

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

You stated that it has been Morton’s policy for 20 years to use the main stand for away fans with the WDE used on the day as an overflow if needed.  You stated that if a large away support is expected then the club decides in advance to use the WDE.

I know this isn’t the case given I stood in the cowshed as recently as 2018.  

Yes, and I followed that up by writing:

'Obviously the club are aware of this, and have made a section for away fans in the Cowshed in recent years.'

So while it has been a policy over the last 20 years or so, there have been times in recent years when an alternative has been tried. I thought I was being clear in what I was saying, but perhaps not clear enough. To try to be as clear as possible - about the time when the Rae's took over and the Cowshed was rebuilt (from around 2001), a policy began which meant that away fans are in the end of the main stand unless they are bringing big enough numbers to warrant opening the WDE. My point here was only to say that it's nothing new. The club know that away fans don't like this, so made a section at the end of the Cowshed for away fans. This had been used on numerous occasions for half decent away supports in recent years. For whatever reason, it hasn't been used much recently. I'm not sure if we actually still have the banner that used to separate fans, and it's difficult to steward otherwise. I'm not sure of the reasons (I assume it's cost related, i.e. stewarding) but Dundee fans would've been in there last week if were still using that area. So we seem to be back to the long held policy of main stand or WDE. 

1 hour ago, Cutty Old said:

Surprise, surprise. virginton reverts to attempts at being a smart ass to deflect from his inability to engage in sensible debate. Quick VT, get another red dot in before they run out. 

There was nothing sensible at all about your 'home clubs need to pay the costs of pitch invasions by the away side, or the costs of preventing them'. A third option is entirely open to the club instead: use a separate part of the ground, that can be stewarded appropriately. 

And so here we are again. 

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, it’s definitely Morton’s fault if Ayr/Falkirk/Partick pile onto the pitch for absolutely no fuckin reason whatsoever.

You’ve made your point about Scottish football clubs, Morton included, being terrible at encouraging paying customers and most of us agree; but now you’re just indulging in the same kind of ‘tribal’ bollocks you claim to want to get past, with a dose of sanctimonious pish thrown in for good measure.

I’ve just e-mailed Cappielow to insist that Ayr are behind the goal tomorrow, btw; a casual glance at the weather forecast played no part in my thought process…

My point in this post is about the way most clubs, including Ayr United, treat away supporters with contempt. Try reading this again and point out where I indulged in tribal 'bollocks'. If Morton are the home club it is their fault. If Ayr are the home club it's their fault. The fact is that, whether you like it or not, home club are tasked with managing their event. 

20 minutes ago, Cutty Old said:

My point in this post is about the way most clubs, including Ayr United, treat away supporters with contempt. Try reading this again and point out where I indulged in tribal 'bollocks'. If Morton are the home club it is their fault. If Ayr are the home club it's their fault. The fact is that, whether you like it or not, home club are tasked with managing their event. 

Yes, home clubs are quite clearly tasked with managing their events (which is exactly why Morton are doing what they’re doing tomorrow)… and away fans are tasked with learning to behave themselves if they want nice things.

Morton don’t discriminate against away fans, btw… they’ve treated their own fans badly (I.e. complacently) over many years. We agree this has to improve across the board; the unnecessary bleating on this thread and some of the selective arguments won’t help that, which is a point I and others have already made.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You completely ruling out the prospect of Jack Baird cigaring it?

Laugh? I’d piss myself.

I've dug a grave for myself obviously, but Jack Baird was just useless for us and Dipo is exactly the sort of player I would have seen him struggling a lot against. 

Baird will stroll it now, inevitably.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Yes, home clubs are quite clearly tasked with managing their events (which is exactly why Morton are doing what they’re doing tomorrow)… and away fans are tasked with learning to behave themselves if they want nice things.

Morton don’t discriminate against away fans, btw… they’ve treated their own fans badly (I.e. complacently) over many years. We agree this has to improve across the board; the unnecessary bleating on this thread and some of the selective arguments won’t help that, which is a point I and others have already made.

I'm still waiting for the example of my tribal 'bollocks'. The main thrust of my point throughout this debate has been that supporters of all of our clubs are treated badly. Instead of trying to score cheap points over our rivals, we would be better employed in trying to make it better for all of us. That means calling out our own clubs when they treat away fans badly. When away fans come to Somerset, they should be given the choice of the west stand, Railway end or the away section of the North terracing. If it costs more money, too bad. They've paid good money to be treated properly. Instead of Morton forcing Ayr fans into the end of the main stand, they should organise their ground with a view to assisting away fans in having a good experience. My God, both clubs have plenty of room. The costs they incur in doing this is the price they pay for offering this form of entertainment. I can't see what's sanctimonious about standing up for ourselves. 

My memory is atrocious for individual games but I've been to Morton away the last half dozen times in a row at least, and we admittedly are not usually behind the goals. We get a small area of the cowshed (nearest behind the goals) and then there's the select very few who walk round and sit in the main stand, but the vast majority are in the cowshed always. 

So, I understand us not getting behind the goals, but why are we all of a sudden not getting the small part of the cowshed we always get?

Baird was absolute shite for us in his first season, but was largely fine last season. At the time it was hugely unfair that he was dropped over McGinty, but it was obviously the correct decision. 

Dipo will give every centre half in this league a hard time when he is on his game - if Morton sit deeper and are compact he will obviously find it harder though. 

Im interested to see Crawford and Dempsey play against each other too. Both with huge amounts of energy - Crawford with more skill but Dempsey with more aggression and drive.