A couple of things to pick up on here. 

It's been the club's policy for about 20 years that away fans get the away end of the main stand - unless the club is informed to expect more than that area holds (which I think is almost 800 when the whole area is used). More than about 500 and the WDE is opened - which is an area which holds about 3000 and requires additional stewarding. I do sympathise with away fans who'd prefer to be in that end, but this isn't something new and is a cost-based decision. Obviously the club are aware of this, and have made a section for away fans in the Cowshed in recent years - but this has caused issues on occasion (including trouble between the sets of fans when Ayr fans were in there). I get that it's not great for away fans, but I suppose the bottom line is that if you bring enough you don't have to be in the main stand (which isn't particularly cramped unless it's pretty full). You might find out that you actually have the option of either on the day if you bring enough. 

The gmfc ticketing website is a disgrace, and it's horror isn't even mitigated very well by the club. I couldn't, like many others, even purchase my season ticket through it this year (never mind buy tickets for cup matches). But the print or mobile ticket should be there in your purchase history if you buy through the site. It's either that or get your ticket 'at the gate,' which I would take as pay at the gate (because it would say ticket office if it meant ticket office). 

1 hour ago, Cutty Old said:

The staffing requirements for a match are the responsibility of the home club. The costs, additional or not are also the responsibility of the home club. Should the home club find it too difficult to deal with the issue of pitch invasions, they would be well advised to seek advice from the police. Liaison with the security adviser of the away club would also help in identifying transgressors to ensure that appropriate action is taken to deal with them and eradicate the problem. If the home club are unable to deal with this, perhaps they shouldn't be running a football club. 

Most clubs have shied away from having police deployed at matches because of the costs. Instead, they pay a pittance to stewards who are not equipped to deal with pitch invasions.

Unfortunately, some supporters adopt tribal allegiances to respond to the problem. I would suggest that you have a preference for punishing 500 people for the actions of a few people, especially if Morton are the home club, due to that narrow mindset. 

My opinion is not an attack on Morton. I just believe that spectators at away games are treated with contempt. Sadly, some fans are so caught up in their tribal allegiances that they ignore the main issue to focus on the opportunity to have a go at their rivals. 

Aye, it’s definitely Morton’s fault if Ayr/Falkirk/Partick pile onto the pitch for absolutely no fuckin reason whatsoever.

You’ve made your point about Scottish football clubs, Morton included, being terrible at encouraging paying customers and most of us agree; but now you’re just indulging in the same kind of ‘tribal’ bollocks you claim to want to get past, with a dose of sanctimonious pish thrown in for good measure.

I’ve just e-mailed Cappielow to insist that Ayr are behind the goal tomorrow, btw; a casual glance at the weather forecast played no part in my thought process…

4 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

It's been the club's policy for about 20 years that away fans get the away end of the main stand - unless the club is informed to expect more than that area holds (which I think is almost 800 when the whole area is used). More than about 500 and the WDE is opened - which is an area which holds about 3000 and requires additional stewarding. I do sympathise with away fans who'd prefer to be in that end, but this isn't something new and is a cost-based decision. Obviously the club are aware of this, and have made a section for away fans in the Cowshed in recent years - but this has caused issues on occasion (including trouble between the sets of fans when Ayr fans were in there). I get that it's not great for away fans, but I suppose the bottom line is that if you bring enough you don't have to be in the main stand (which isn't particularly cramped unless it's pretty full). You might find out that you actually have the option of either on the day if you bring enough. 

The gmfc ticketing website is a disgrace, and it's horror isn't even mitigated very well by the club. I couldn't, like many others, even purchase my season ticket through it this year (never mind buy tickets for cup matches). But the print or mobile ticket should be there in your purchase history if you buy through the site. It's either that or get your ticket 'at the gate,' which I would take as pay at the gate (because it would say ticket office if it meant ticket office). 

That is spot on and really not difficult for anyone not nursing a manufactured grudge to understand (and that includes most Ayr fans).

The only point you haven’t addressed is embarrassing, totally unnecessary pitch invasions by away supporters… which, quite rightly, reduces their chances of getting that end to zero (again, most Ayr fans seem to get this).

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

That’s not true.  The Ayr fans were in the cowshed as recently as 2018 - it was the 5-1 game when Shankland was running riot.  Coincidentally a period when Ayr were doing well and so brought a healthy away support.  And no, I didn’t see a jot of crowd trouble that day.

Surely the solution for pitch invaders is a stadium ban? Instead of inflicting a punishment on the vast majority of law abiding fans. That's the argument Morton fans are pushing btw. It's a serious case of deflection and obfuscation on their part.

Also, I don't know why anyone would want to stand in the WDE anyway it's the most ramshackle thing I've seen. It should be the Cowshed for those who wish to stand or the Main Stand if you want/need a seat. I've never been given the option of only going into the Main Stand in 20+ visits to Cappielow.

Edit - Upon reflection, I think I have been in the Main Stand once when covid was still a hing.

Edited by Trogdor

1 hour ago, Death in Vegas said:

Wooden stands and smoke bombs are never a good mix

30 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Good point well made, if we don't want to be stuck in it again we should just burn it down. 

13 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Screenshotted those comments in case you've a few idiots in the crowd tomorrow. At least when you're sitting in your jail cell you'll be used to cramped spaces already. 

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sit doon Lee Wallace.

He’s no jokin… clear incitement to an act of terrorist violence. David Harvie will visit you in your cramped prison cell (under the main stand at Cappielow).

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Surely the solution for pitch invaders is a stadium ban? Instead of inflicting a punishment on the vast majority of law abiding fans. That's the argument Morton fans are pushing btw. It's a serious case of deflection and obfuscation on their part.

Also, I don't know why anyone would want to stand in the WDE anyway it's the most ramshackle thing I've seen. It should be the Cowshed for those who wish to stand or the Main Stand if you want/need a seat. I've never been given the option of only going into the Main Stand in 20+ visits to Cappielow.

How is it a punishment? Being put in the main away portion of the ground that most teams have went to for decades without a fuss. 

Knicker-wetting getting a bit ridiculous here from some. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Edit - Upon reflection, I think I have been in the Main Stand once when covid was still a hing.

The pitch invasion thing is clearly just an excuse.  Morton are just penny pinching on stewarding.  Rather than make proper provision for away fans in advance,  their attitude seems to be that they’ll open the WDE if they have to, and if that means fans paying 22 quid to stand in the rain then so be it.  The attitude of clubs towards the paying fan beggars belief at times - some of the photos from FC Edinburgh’s “stadium” are hysterical (in a bad way).

The uncertainty over where you’ll actually find yourself watching on match day coupled with the obtuse ticketing arrangements is just putting people off even going, especially when you can easily watch the game in the house on a dodgy stream.

13 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That’s not true.  The Ayr fans were in the cowshed as recently as 2018 - it was the 5-1 game when Shankland was running riot.  Coincidentally a period when Ayr were doing well and so brought a healthy away support.  And no, I didn’t see a jot of crowd trouble that day.

I'm not sure what you're saying isn't true. I think it was maybe the next visit when there was the trouble. That's why you were in the WDE for the first visit of the 19-20 season. 

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The pitch invasion thing is clearly just an excuse.  Morton are just penny pinching on stewarding.  Rather than make proper provision for away fans in advance,  their attitude seems to be that they’ll open the WDE if they have to, and if that means fans paying 22 quid to stand in the rain then so be it.  The attitude of clubs towards the paying fan beggars belief at times - some of the photos from FC Edinburgh’s “stadium” are hysterical (in a bad way).

The uncertainty over where you’ll actually find yourself watching on match day coupled with the obtuse ticketing arrangements is just putting people off even going, especially when you can easily watch the game in the house on a dodgy stream.

Now you're just making stuff up. The away club advises us on how many fans to expect and if that number fits in the main stand then that's where the fans have went in about 90% of our home games over the past 20 years (there have been some occasions the club have trialled moving away fans in to the cowshed to improve atmosphere but these have only been temporary and never lasted) 

If the away fans expected from the figure the away club gives is higher than the main stand allows or if the numbers are higher than expected on the day then the WDE is opened, along with the main stand which is covered so if you don't want to get rained on you have that option also. 

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

I'm not sure what you're saying isn't true. I think it was maybe the next visit when there was the trouble. That's why you were in the WDE for the first visit of the 19-20 season. 

You stated that it has been Morton’s policy for 20 years to use the main stand for away fans with the WDE used on the day as an overflow if needed.  You stated that if a large away support is expected then the club decides in advance to use the WDE.

I know this isn’t the case given I stood in the cowshed as recently as 2018.