Arbroath 🟣⚪️ vs Patrick Thistle 🔴🟡

2 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Tiff playing tonight?

Tiff hasn’t been our best player this season, so far anyway. This was by no means NOT an important game for us. However the league is more important and I think BG will start Saturday.

Edited by Thistle4eva

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense - yes, Thistle were the better team in the first half, but you were never going to be putting 4 or 5 past Arbroath, no matter who was playing.

This game was close to going into extra time - I agree, Arbroath were short of a few key players, but they still put in a decent performance with very little between the teams .

Thistle were good at attacking, bur Arbroath's defence were never really too troubled - nowhere near being 4 or 5 goals for Thistle, not even close.

Emm it could easy been 4 or 5 by the end of the game to us, Arbroath are organised. That’s about their whack this season 👍🏻.

7 hours ago, Doolan9 said:

I don’t agree with you at all either. If Doch had taken that early chance that he made a complete arse of I think we would have won that game 3/4-0. If our final ball and finishing was sharper it could well have been a few. Apart from you hitting the post followed by that great save in quick succession I genuinly don’t think you had a single shot that wasn’t from 25+ yards and was high and wide. We, outwith that moment, where so so comfortable I felt. As you say though I understand you where missing several players who always impress me. So I won’t take to much from this as I will agree you where hard to break down as always and did well with what you had available and I know for a fact Saturdays game will be far more even and a lot trickier. Glad we’ve finally got the hoodoo off our back though and can look forward to Saturday with a good amount of hope after 3 good wins on the bounce. Wee Stevie lawless was outstanding again.

He’s talking nonsense. He seems to be immune to criticising anything the club do on or off the park. We were dominated for long spells last night. 

8 hours ago, Doolan9 said:

I don’t agree with you at all either. If Doch had taken that early chance that he made a complete arse of I think we would have won that game 3/4-0. If our final ball and finishing was sharper it could well have been a few. Apart from you hitting the post followed by that great save in quick succession I genuinly don’t think you had a single shot that wasn’t from 25+ yards and was high and wide. We, outwith that moment, where so so comfortable I felt. As you say though I understand you where missing several players who always impress me. So I won’t take to much from this as I will agree you where hard to break down as always and did well with what you had available and I know for a fact Saturdays game will be far more even and a lot trickier. Glad we’ve finally got the hoodoo off our back though and can look forward to Saturday with a good amount of hope after 3 good wins on the bounce. Wee Stevie lawless was outstanding again.

Ifs, buts and maybes, we had a great chance late on to take it to extra time but we didn't take it. Thistle were the better team and won the game deservedly so, we were a bit depleted but I see Thistle made some changes also. Good luck in the next roung

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Glad to get the Arbroath hoodoo off our back, even if we made hard work of it.

Saturday will be tougher as we’ve been notoriously shite at Gayfield, but if we’re serious about contending for this title we really just need to step up and win. Arbroath are missing some key players, they’re on a poor run of form, and the conditions at this time of year should be fine. No excuses.

I actually looked and I swear down. The 7 day forecast is for no wind at all… except for Saturday afternoon and Sunday. 😂 The last game against QP was a farce I really hope it’s not the same this week. Inverness was a wee bitty windy but not bad. The start of this seasons been shite so fully expecting another shite day on Saturday.

The winter months when there’s cloud cover and a bit of rain always seem to be less windy, it’s the bright sunny frosty days in January / February and around about just now  that always seem to be the worst days.

10 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Sorry, but this is absolute nonsense - yes, Thistle were the better team in the first half, but you were never going to be putting 4 or 5 past Arbroath, no matter who was playing.

This game was close to going into extra time - I agree, Arbroath were short of a few key players, but they still put in a decent performance with very little between the teams .

Thistle were good at attacking, bur Arbroath's defence were never really too troubled - nowhere near being 4 or 5 goals for Thistle, not even close.

Maroon tinted spectacles. Arbroath were all at sea in the first half, our poor finishing could have come back to haunt us in the second when Arbroath resorted to lumping the ball up and holding it. 

Overall I don't think we played particularly well for a lot of the game, we struggled with the physicality at times as we always do against Arbroath and our finishing was poor again. 

I’d agree we were dominated for large spells last night, kind of expected that. Partick must’ve squared the ball across an open goal 4 or 5 times. 

For all the stick he gets I though Hilson put in a great shift, Thomson was playing well out of position until he went off.

Mckenna & Jacobs we’re awful. 

15 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

I’d agree we were dominated for large spells last night, kind of expected that. Partick must’ve squared the ball across an open goal 4 or 5 times. 

For all the stick he gets I though Hilson put in a great shift, Thomson was playing well out of position until he went off.

McKenna has looked miles off it this season so far. 

Agree about Hilson’s effort last night. Chased everything down and was a nuisance to their back line.  I also thought Scott Stewart done a decent job at CB with Ricky. 

Jacobs was pretty good.

10 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

Whilst I appreciate it’s a subjective thing, I’m astonished anyone can watch him last night and come to that conclusion. 

I thought it was the best game he's had for us.  It wasn't perfect, and he gave the ball away a few times, but he looked much better, and gave us a midfield presence.

On Hilson, as always, I thought he worked hard, ran himself into the ground, but he didn't provide that out ball we needed.  I would have liked to have seen less buzzing about, and more staying up front to provide an out ball. 

Last night is exactly the type of game where Hilson looks "good" though. 90 minutes of pressing and harrying, but still falls so short attacking wise. Great example in the second half, ball played out to him in front of the away fans and he's in acres of space. Takes a million touches and is dispossessed easily. Not as bad as Fosu and Craigen passing it back and forward until one of them was offside, mind you. That was embarrassing.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

McKenna has looked miles off it this season so far.

I’m glad others are noticing and voicing this.

Before I say anything else - he is one of my favourite Arbroath players ever and his form early last season was sensational. That doesn’t make him immune to criticism though.

Yes I know he was the championship’s player of the season last year but every time I’ve seen him this season he’s not even been close to being OUR best player… and that shouldn’t be too difficult the way things are going.

Some of our fans need to actually look at what he’s doing in games at the moment and forget about his previous form. If he was a new signing he would be getting ripped to shreds from the terraces. I actually think his form dipped quite drastically towards the end of last season and has only got worse this season. I’m not talking about his goal scoring, we know he had a great partnership with Nouble - it’s everything else. He has lost his energy, his strength, his commitment and his confidence. I can’t remember the last time I even saw him make a tackle or find a teammate with a pass.

Personally I think he needs a spell on the sidelines to try and re-find his spark - obviously that can’t and won’t happen though as we have no one else to fill that role.

As I said, a big favourite of mine and I hope to hell he hits form again soon.

Moving on to Saturday's game Thistle's match guide says we are in the Pleasureland Terrace, have Arbroath swapped ends again? 🤔

Thistle supporters can choose from sections A and B in the CoelBrew Stand or to stand in the Pleasureland side terracing

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Moving on to Saturday's game Thistle's match guide says we are in the Pleasureland Terrace, have Arbroath swapped ends again? 🤔

Yes the away support now permanently housed at the pleasuerland end. Just a pity we can't swap ends during the match anymore.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m glad others are noticing and voicing this.

Before I say anything else - he is one of my favourite Arbroath players ever and his form early last season was sensational. That doesn’t make him immune to criticism though.

Yes I know he was the championship’s player of the season last year but every time I’ve seen him this season he’s not even been close to being OUR best player… and that shouldn’t be too difficult the way things are going.

Some of our fans need to actually look at what he’s doing in games at the moment and forget about his previous form. If he was a new signing he would be getting ripped to shreds from the terraces. I actually think his form dipped quite drastically towards the end of last season and has only got worse this season. I’m not talking about his goal scoring, we know he had a great partnership with Nouble - it’s everything else. He has lost his energy, his strength, his commitment and his confidence. I can’t remember the last time I even saw him make a tackle or find a teammate with a pass.

Personally I think he needs a spell on the sidelines to try and re-find his spark - obviously that can’t and won’t happen though as we have no one else to fill that role.

As I said, a big favourite of mine and I hope to hell he hits form again soon.

I would also be dropping McKenna, he was beyond stinking last night and really hindered the team. He may be required in defence but if not I would like to see craigen in the middle of the park.