Overrated / Underrated

DiegoDiego

On 27/09/2022 at 10:42, kennie makevin said:

Overrated - Glasgow. Is there an uglier, more filthy city in Europe ?

Underrated - Edinburgh. Is there a more beautiful city in Europe ?

Glasgow city centre is definitely not ugly. Nor the north western parts of town . 

I like Edinburgh. Good to look at, good pubs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 10:42, kennie makevin said:

Overrated - Glasgow. Is there an uglier, more filthy city in Europe ?

Underrated - Edinburgh. Is there a more beautiful city in Europe ?

There is. Frankfurt is a fucking hole.

There is. Mannheim and Heidelberg are both great.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Mannheim being more beautiful than Edinburgh surely belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread.

Edinburgh has far too much tourist shite. It brings the look of the place down really badly. And outside  of the older parts of the city centre and the trendy bit of Leith docks, its really not that great to look at. There are far better places in the UK than Edinburgh.

Mannheim University in the old palatinate palace is outstanding. As are the old Mannheim churches and the Luisenpark. Heidelberg suffers from the same abundance of tourist shite that Edinburgh does, but it just feels like a nicer place to be.

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

There is. Mannheim and Heidelberg are both great.

I don't mind Frankfurt. I reckon that the skyscrapers look pretty cool.

It is absolutely crawling with junkies though. When I was there I walked round a corner and very nearly tripped over two guys who were sitting on the pavement in broad daylight casually shooting up.

• 1 month later...
On 30/10/2022 at 09:01, Paul Kersey said:

I don't mind Frankfurt. I reckon that the skyscrapers look pretty cool.

It is absolutely crawling with junkies though. When I was there I walked round a corner and very nearly tripped over two guys who were sitting on the pavement in broad daylight casually shooting up.

Agreed with this, didn't do enough research on frankfurt. 50 yards from the hotel a junkie quite possibly overdosing, people walking over and around him like a dog shit on the pavement.

Really ?
Understandable up to a point , but so many wonderful attractions

Once you've seen the historical stuff on your first visit what is there to do on your second? Many far better cities in Italy to see instead.

I found modern Athens to be a pretty interesting place with plenty going on. Wouldn't mind going back.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Once you've seen the historical stuff on your first visit what is there to do on your second? Many far better cities in Italy to see instead.

I found modern Athens to be a pretty interesting place with plenty going on. Wouldn't mind going back.

My old man got sunburnt on his feet in Glyfada (just outside Athens) and we bough cheap shite socks from a street seller in Athens (probably 3 pair for 10 drachma at that time).  That's my abiding memory of Athens.  

On 29/10/2022 at 19:42, BallochSonsFan said:

Agree. Frankfurt is a rotten place. Never seen so many junkies in my life. A complete shit tip. Also thought Berlin was pretty grim. 

Went to Brussels in September and high hopes, but again bit of a dump. Then Bucharest in November which I was dubious about but found it to be a brilliant place. 

On 08/12/2022 at 02:13, DiegoDiego said:

Genuine questions

Apart from Venice and Florence , what cities ?

What was going on in Athens ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Overrated;

Amsterdam - Overpriced, too many tourists, fucking nearly get hit by a bike every 5 minutes, too many stag doos

Budapest - Honestly reminded me of Glasgow centre a bit without the character and good pubs, City is like a big connect 4 grid, the Danube is nice but there’s not all that much near it in terms of good bars/restaurants.

Underrated;

Faroe Islands - Yeah it’s expensive but what a beautiful place

Bucharest - Cheap as anything, good local beer, locals are so helpful and kind, did a Trannsylvania day trip too which was unforgettable

Zadar - Probably the most beautiful place I’ve been, so incredibly clean, beautiful beach and restaurants, totally recommend.

Also I’m not really sure if it’s rated highly or not but Athens is a fucking tip, Poznan another absolute hellhole.

10 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Zadar - Probably the most beautiful place I’ve been, so incredibly clean, beautiful beach and restaurants, totally recommend.

Looks very similar to Porec where I spent my honeymoon many moons ago. 

On 27/08/2022 at 15:31, Paul Kersey said:

I thought Budapest was overrated. There are some nice old buildings but the pubs and restaurants just seemed tacky.

Szimpla Kert, the famous ruin pub, was a big disappointment. The walls were covered in graffiti from various Eastern European football hooligan mobs, the beer was pish and they were playing really bad techno music at a reasonable volume so as not to disturb the neighbours. The place was packed out with English stag and hen parties. It's just a tourist trap and nothing like the counter-cultural hub that it may have been at one time.

Antwerp in Belgium is underrated. A beautiful city with good food and beer but less of a "touristy" feel than other places.

Tel Aviv is another underrated destination. Good beaches, wild nightlife and the Bauhaus architecture in the centre is interesting. 

Ohhh, I always see Budapest as a must-visit city.