Overrated / Underrated

DiegoDiego

On 27/01/2023 at 17:15, Les Cabbage said:

Overrated;

Amsterdam - Overpriced, too many tourists, fucking nearly get hit by a bike every 5 minutes, too many stag doos

Budapest - Honestly reminded me of Glasgow centre a bit without the character and good pubs, City is like a big connect 4 grid, the Danube is nice but there’s not all that much near it in terms of good bars/restaurants.

Underrated;

Faroe Islands - Yeah it’s expensive but what a beautiful place

Bucharest - Cheap as anything, good local beer, locals are so helpful and kind, did a Trannsylvania day trip too which was unforgettable

Zadar - Probably the most beautiful place I’ve been, so incredibly clean, beautiful beach and restaurants, totally recommend.

Also I’m not really sure if it’s rated highly or not but Athens is a fucking tip, Poznan another absolute hellhole.

Amsterdam - true , but does have     ,                                   some pluses

e g. Reichsmuseum.

Athens , you might have a point.

Faroe Islands - very interesting !

Depends what you're after I suppose. For example Budapest was really nice (other than the guy behind the bar on a boat who had a Combat 18 shirt on) with lovely architecture and with an interesting and vibrant good scene; and Hamburg is great if you have a family - the zoo, planetarium, Minatur Wonderland etc and if you go when the Dom Funfair is on then even better). Also really like Amsterdam and the surrounding areas but then I tend to avoid the Red Light Area and Dam Square. 

In terms of overrated I find it hard to see past Prague. Overpriced, full of stag dos, seedy in places and just over exposed. A shame as there is a beautiful city under there that is now sadly hidden. Venice can also suffer from over tourism but in the quieter areas and at night it's perfectly pleasant.

Underrated? A few of the Italian cities, like Genoa, Naples, Trieste, Campobasso and Siena. Ljubljana as mentioned is lovely and I liked Zagreb too. Funny hearing tourists there asking how they can do a day trip to Dubrovnik when it's about 6-8 hours drive away. 

Spent some time in UK cities that I’d never previously been to, but with the Covid years, did a couple of UK ‘staycations’. Was extremely surprised by how enjoyable visits to Leicester and Southampton were. Never knew Leicester was such a pretty and historic city, and Southampton’s maritime history and waterfront location was great. Guess it depends what you are looking for, but for a long weekend break, can highly recommend both places. I reckon both are in the under-rated category then.

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated: 

Dublin - Over-priced junkie central. The city is one bug tourist trap. Been numerous times in the last few years. Certainly dirtier than any major city I have been to in the UK.

Underrated:

Ljubljana - City centre is absolutely beautiful along the river and the drink is incredibly cheap. Not overly busy either. Hope to go back again very soon. 

I never thought that 2 cities in Indonesia are listed as top 10 overrated destinations in the world according to Radical Storage's study -  https://www.timeout.com/news/these-destinations-have-been-named-the-most-overrated-in-the-world-121622 On the otherhand, I think Argentina is one of the most underrated countries with a lot of tourist spots or things to do. You can visit Salta and Bariloche which offer natural and scenic view. If you love to experience phenomenal nightlife, Buenas Aires is the best place to go. It is also rich in cultural and national heritage where you can enjoy and learn about its history https://gowithguide.com/argentina/buenos-aires

Though there are other underrated destinations that are worth visiting such as Slovenia and Taiwan.

Edited by WAnnanderer

Prague is lovely but ruined by the stag do crowd. The English ones always look to take over anywhere they go with the noise and at least one of them is scoping the place for his best chance of a bit of bother.

Dublin is horribly overpriced. Do people go there for anything other than having a drink?

Loads of nice wee towns and cities in the Netherlands. Head out of Amsterdam and you can find plenty of places that have canals and great pubs. Their beer scene is overlooked. It's not as good as Belgium but it's not too far behind.

South Korea is a nice add-on to Japan.  Great people, loads to do and worth heading out of Seoul.

Stonehaven is a cracking wee place. Enough bars to do you, decent hotels and very friendly locals.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

On 09/02/2023 at 15:32, latapythelegend said:

Overrated: 

Dublin - Over-priced junkie central. The city is one bug tourist trap. Been numerous times in the last few years. Certainly dirtier than any major city I have been to in the UK.

Worse than Glasgow? I think the place is filthy. 

Guest ICTFCwife
On 10/02/2023 at 11:13, Highland Capital said:

Glasgow - An underrated city overrated by Glaswegians.

Glaswegians get a bad rep tbf however from personal experience I’d say Glaswegians are some of the nicest bunch out there,say it as it is and what you see is what you get. 

Underrated  -

Salta. Nobody outside of Argentina seems to have heard of it, but I had a great time up there. People were great and the scenery is unique.

Osaka. Not got the sights that Tokyo has and missing the traditional elements you get in Kyoto, but the people are great and a lot more outgoing that the rest of Japan in my experience.

Overrated -

Bali. Maybe it’s where I was staying (Nusa Dua) and I missed out on things I’d have seen staying elsewhere but I just thought it was overdeveloped, clogged up with traffic and mobbed with Australian and Russian tourists. Had a good time nonetheless, but don’t think I’d rush back.

I also think San Francisco has gone downhill in recent years. I used to love it but it just felt dodgy last time I was there. Massive homeless problem, people breaking into cars in broad daylight, and dirty.

Edited by S7C

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2023 at 18:35, S7C said:

Underrated  -

Salta. Nobody outside of Argentina seems to have heard of it, but I had a great time up there. People were great and the scenery is unique.

Osaka. Not got the sights that Tokyo has and missing the traditional elements you get in Kyoto, but the people are great and a lot more outgoing that the rest of Japan in my experience.

Overrated -

Bali. Maybe it’s where I was staying (Nusa Dua) and I missed out on things I’d have seen staying elsewhere but I just thought it was overdeveloped, clogged up with traffic and mobbed with Australian and Russian tourists. Had a good time nonetheless, but don’t think I’d rush back.

I also think San Francisco has gone downhill in recent years. I used to love it but it just felt dodgy last time I was there. Massive homeless problem, people breaking into cars in broad daylight, and dirty.

Haven't been to Bali or to Indonesia but I've heard that Bali is indeed overrated. Though I forgot which city they recommended outside Bali.

On 13/02/2023 at 18:35, S7C said:

Underrated  -

Overrated -

Your better heating north on Bali, Ubud and around is great, whereas anything close to Depensar is overcrowded and overdeveloped.

However, your right, it’s massively overrated. It is more or less Australias ‘Ibiza’.

There are many better places in Indonesia than Bali.

It’s been plagued by issues over the past few years with foreigners bending the immigration laws and causing issues and now, as you said, have a large number of Russians arriving due to the war.

Not a destination as such, but I find German public transport to be massively overrated.

The trains are frequently late, or they just stop for no apparent reason. They are often filthy and covered in graffiti. The ticket machines don't always work. The stations are magnets for junkies and all kinds of assorted weirdos.

I've had problems getting around in both Dusseldorf and Berlin. I'm not sure where their reputation for efficiency comes from. My own experience is very different.

On 16/03/2023 at 08:09, tongue_tied_danny said:

Not a destination as such, but I find German public transport to be massively overrated.

The trains are frequently late, or they just stop for no apparent reason. They are often filthy and covered in graffiti. The ticket machines don't always work. The stations are magnets for junkies and all kinds of assorted weirdos.

I've had problems getting around in both Dusseldorf and Berlin. I'm not sure where their reputation for efficiency comes from. My own experience is very different.

I think in-city transport is really good in Germany. Your trams, U-bahns and S-bahns are great for the most part.

Deutsche Bahn IC is so much worse than it used to be though. As you say, constant delays at Düsseldorf. I got stuck in Cologne for a night last year because of it. They did put me up for the night to be fair, but the hotel was a shithole.