How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

27 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

1) Ask teams in, say, the English Championship.

2) I think you find the Spiffle Premier rather more exciting than most people.

The English Championship is full of full-time clubs, many of whom can pull in upwards of 20,000 punters. Of course it's exciting.

Our 18-team leagues would look absolutely nothing like that whatsoever. The second-tier, especially, would be fucking tedious. The nature of Scotland's population centres and the number of full-time clubs we have mean that we'd regularly have sides absolutely strolling the second tier or being whipping boys in the top one.

The Premiership is garbage, obviously. But the current form it takes is probably about as exciting as it can be. If you don't think this season has been competitive and exciting in all areas of the table (and that's all four tables), then I'm afraid I just completely disagree.

I don't see how we'd have been better off in terms of excitement from two bigger top leagues.

Edited by VincentGuerin

The SPFL financial statements state that the principal activity of the company is to ‘commercially exploit the premier mens football league competition in Scotland’. 

this is front and centre why an expanded league the way people want it won’t happen. Unless you can find a way for it be more commercially successful than accepting sky’s crumbs from the table to show 40 old firm games season then you’re pissing against a wall. 

And that is the objective set by all clubs, by the way. 

Just read through this thread for first time, why?

Absolutely no idea other than fate maybe.

I have a solution for all you disillusioned non CeltGers fans and maybe even some CeltGers followers.

Go watch your local non league team or even teams. And enjoy your fitba fix once more.

Oh yeah afore ye go non league. Get yer big team to vote no feckin way to this Conference League Shite.

Plus yes I am an Irish immigrant as my handle suggests. And no I don't follow the Celt part of Celt/Gers. 

Pollok F.C. fan all my days.

On 25/08/2022 at 22:52, Nae Union said:

I'm sure there have been other threads to try this but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this seemingly hopeless situation we are in? What do other European leagues do to keep themselves competitive? For a start, I can't imagine they have a similar voting structure to ours. Fairer distribution of wealth has to be the start but the apathy that has set in will take time to reverse. Does anyone have ideas on the structure of the league that could lead to change? No idea is too outlandish but hopefully we can all be constructive.

Try to look long-term. Celtic, Rangers and Hearts are all doing that with their B teams idea in a new Conference League below Division 2.

They seem to believe that is a better idea than a decent Reserves and or Under 21's league which might also help other clubs. If they are right then they are creating a future long-term advantage for themselves over all other clubs.

It doesn't make sense to let them add to their existing advantages of huge support etc. What happens if their B teams eventually get rule changes which allow them into Division 2? Having B teams in the SPFL lower divisions would not only kick out existing clubs but, if they rise as far as the Championship, it will relegate normal first team clubs from the Championship downward throughout the whole league, and beyond.

Member clubs should not support this biased proposal by the SFA.

I prefer the variance in different teams to play. That top 6 of the championship would be a fantastic bunch of away days IMO and no disrespect I'll take those of Livingston and St Johnstone twice any day. Plus I feel like it will make the games against Hibs mean more if it's only twice. Something about playing them 5 times this season brings a staleness to it for me.

In terms of quality of the lower leagues there are plenty of good teams coming into the pyramid now that could fill the vacuum. I honestly don't see a diminishing it quality. Nothing to stop making the playoffs and bringing as many as 6 teams into them similar to the English national League to keep things to play for.

In terms of the OF 4 games, bring in a super cup and it will give at least 3. They'll probably be playing in it anyway. I'm willing to bet them playing each other 6 times this season is boring as shite.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Sky need their 4 old firm games so 12 teams with the split after 33 games is the way it’s going to be for a while.

Sky need ! Sky need ! What about what Scottish football needs ? I'm pretty certain that Sky would like 4 Liverpool v Man Utd league games a season or Sky's Spanish equivalent 4 Barcelona - Real league games a season.  Maybe, just maybe, we don't need Sky.

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

For whom? 

Lots of us

All the leagues are competitive

With 4 league you get 4 champions , 15 teams in play offs over the 4 leagues and club 42 play off 

16 or 18 will result in a lot of end of season drama and jeopardy just going away. 

14 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Good cover story up until this part. 4/10.

You'd be surprised or maybe not how many times my handle becomes the topic.

Thought I would get it out the way pronto and then can have an adult-ish talk.

Had a thought when reading the comments 're sizes of each division.

Why does every game need to mean something wrt promotion/relegation.

Fitba is an entertainment and most attending fans love their own team and would watch them play in their back garden.

What is wrong with mid-table teams in a division.

Some will after a few seasons of stability be able to challenge for European places and all that it brings. Some will fall and maybe even get relegated. Surely it shouldn't affect the thrill of watching your team. Also more clubs to visit and be visited by making new friends/enemies along the way.

Personally can watch a game in a local field and still enjoy it without needing it to mean something.

4 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Lots of us

All the leagues are competitive

With 4 league you get 4 champions , 15 teams in play offs over the 4 leagues and club 42 play off 

16 or 18 will result in a lot of end of season drama and jeopardy just going away. 

Battle for Europe, top 6, relegation, promotion & playoffs all interesting most seasons.

Least interesting bit is the top league winner.

39 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Sky need ! Sky need ! What about what Scottish football needs ? I'm pretty certain that Sky would like 4 Liverpool v Man Utd league games a season or Sky's Spanish equivalent 4 Barcelona - Real league games a season.  Maybe, just maybe, we don't need Sky.

Yeah, let me tell you how Scottish football works around here.

8 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

You'd be surprised or maybe not how many times my handle becomes the topic.

Thought I would get it out the way pronto and then can have an adult-ish talk.

Had a thought when reading the comments 're sizes of each division.

Why does every game need to mean something wrt promotion/relegation.

Fitba is an entertainment and most attending fans love their own team and would watch them play in their back garden.

What is wrong with mid-table teams in a division.

Some will after a few seasons of stability be able to challenge for European places and all that it brings. Some will fall and maybe even get relegated. Surely it shouldn't affect the thrill of watching your team. Also more clubs to visit and be visited by making new friends/enemies along the way.

Personally can watch a game in a local field and still enjoy it without needing it to mean something.

I personally go to around 100 games a year , with around 50 being in the pyramid at levels 6 and below

From the spring when picking a game i select a game that means something to one of the teams. An 8th v 10th in one of the East or Wesr of Scotland leagues will not be of interest unless its a new ground or the only game on that night. Now ive completed the Midland league with 19 teams its the same.

yes you are correct in that the core of fans will go every week but a standard Dunfermline v Falkirk match will not get the same crowds that all 4 games got this season. There is a danger that bigger leagues will result in smaller aggregate attendances across the 42 teams in the league

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

You could possibly get by that by not mentioning it.

No some posters see my handle and presume away. I get your point though. Some have said change it but heh ho. It is what it is.

Edit it's the first time I've mentioned it without being asked, maybe I did it considering the forum I'm in. Didn't really think too much about it.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

I personally go to around 100 games a year , with around 50 being in the pyramid at levels 6 and below

From the spring when picking a game i select a game that means something to one of the teams. An 8th v 10th in one of the East or Wesr of Scotland leagues will not be of interest unless its a new ground or the only game on that night. Now ive completed the Midland league with 19 teams its the same.

yes you are correct in that the core of fans will go every week but a standard Dunfermline v Falkirk match will not get the same crowds that all 4 games got this season. There is a danger that bigger leagues will result in smaller aggregate attendances across the 42 teams in the league

All excellent points and it can be the case we are all at the same game for different reasons.

The positive about Scotland is at all levels fans attend games. Would be perfect if less followed they 2 and visited local clubs. But can't have everything.

A bit like you I visit different games, but have only been at Tier 6 and below this year. South, West and East games below the Maginot Line as living in deepest Galloway makes North games slightly unfeasible.

The lower tiers have been exciting this year and sometimes 8v10 has been a relegation and promotion battle simultaneously. Not quite that  but hopefully you see what I'm saying.

Anyway I'll sign off in my normal manner.

Enjoy your football and keep attending.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Here’s a thought - “meaningless” games aren’t the devil. Not every game needs to be a matter of life or death.

Depends what you want.

If you're genuinely saying you're fine with making the set-up less exciting, then I'd need a really convincing explanation of the tangible benefits of doing so.