How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

Perhaps the solution is to give Sky, BT et al exactly what they want. All 10 of the non bigots agree to play their under 8 sides against the cheeks. Goalfests every week and the only games that count are against each other. Celtic win the league with a plus 300 goal difference. 

I would love to see the OF move to the second/third tier of a pan-European set up and not be guaranteed their regular feed of trophies - see how many of their patronizing fans would still be supporting them after 10 years.

19 minutes ago, btb said:

I would love to see the OF move to the second/third tier of a pan-European set up and not be guaranteed their regular feed of trophies - see how many of their patronizing fans would still be supporting them after 10 years.

Into the 3rd division,  10 years without a major trophy and attendances stayed high.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You skooshed the bottom 2 tiers though, would be different losing a lot of your games year after year in a European league.

Yep that's the difference. Winning almost every week, and guaranteed (lower league) title at the end.

Try a significant spell of mediocre at best league finishes and they'll evaporate.

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You skooshed the bottom 2 tiers though, would be different losing a lot of your games year after year in a European league.

That's goal post shifting, this is what I replied to "I would love to see the OF move to the second/third tier of a pan-European set up and not be guaranteed their regular feed of trophies"

2 major trophies in 10 years hasn't seen attendances plummet. 

10 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yep that's the difference. Winning almost every week, and guaranteed (lower league) title at the end.

Try a significant spell of mediocre at best league finishes and they'll evaporate.

Without arguing too vociferously against the over-riding point, do you not feel that Rangers are in a significant spell of mediocrity?

1 minute ago, bennett said:

That's goal post shifting, this is what I replied to "I would love to see the OF move to the second/third tier of a pan-European set up and not be guaranteed their regular feed of trophies"

I would say there were special circumstances for Rangers in 2012 and that there would not be the same sense of defiance if you decamped to become European mediocrity.

1 minute ago, btb said:

I would say there were special circumstances for Rangers in 2012 and that there would not be the same sense of defiance if you decamped to become European mediocrity.

We've got the worse record in champions league history, if that's not mediocre then what is.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Without arguing too vociferously against the over-riding point, do you not feel that Rangers are in a significant spell of mediocrity?

Youve won the top flight, won the Scottish Cup, and played in a European Cup Final within the last 3 years.

How dreadful it must be.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Youve won the top flight, won the Scottish Cup, and played in a European Cup Final within the last 3 years.

How dreadful it must be.

celtic fans incoming.....

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

No I do not.

You have won something like 12 out of your last 13 games (excuse my inexactitude), will finish far over the horizon from everyone else in second, won the Scottish Cup 10 months ago, reached the Europa League final 10 months ago, and probably have a 40% chance of winning the Scottish Cup this year.

I mean, what more do you people want? To win the league, obviously, but you've only lost two games all season! By mediocrity I mean finishing mid-table and getting launched out the cups before the final.

Think early 80s.

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

We've got the worse record in champions league history, if that's not mediocre then what is.

That's not the same as mediocrity in division two/three of a pan-European league - this time it's you shifting the goalposts. 

28 minutes ago, bennett said:

You've won about 85% of your domestic games in that time.  That's why attendances haven't fallen.  If you played in a European league, your win % would be less than 50, you and your fellow fans wouldn't be able to hack it and stay away.  

4 minutes ago, btb said:

That's not the same as mediocrity in division two/three of a pan-European league - this time it's you shifting the goalposts. 

Maybe I read your post wrong, that's the way it came across to me.

Edited by bennett

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How dreadful it must be.

I think this is the problem with using arbitrary time periods to gauge something. As you frame it, it doesn't sound bad at all, does it? But when you consider those 3 successes have come within a 7 year period since we were promoted, (if we discount the years in the lower divisions), is a league title, Scottish Cup and Europa League final viewed as above average for a Rangers team over 7 years?

This is not a comparison to other teams, it's a comparison of our own performance and expectations.

22 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No I do not.

You have won something like 12 out of your last 13 games (excuse my inexactitude), will finish far over the horizon from everyone else in second, won the Scottish Cup 10 months ago, reached the Europa League final 10 months ago, and probably have a 40% chance of winning the Scottish Cup this year.

I mean, what more do you people want? To win the league, obviously, but you've only lost two games all season! By mediocrity I mean finishing mid-table and getting launched out the cups before the final.

Think early 80s.

Mediocrity is relative to the individual team, though. Are you arguing that we should not consider finishing 2nd as mediocrity?

I would argue finishing mid-table would be deemed far below mediocrity.

Bear in mind mediocrity is considered to be average, do you genuinely feel we have performed above average for the majority of those seasons. If so, I suppose we deserve more credit than we are getting, eh.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think this is the problem with using arbitrary time periods to gauge something. As you frame it, it doesn't sound bad at all, does it? But when you consider those 3 successes have come within a 7 year period since we were promoted. Even if we discount the years in the lower divisions, is a league title, Scottish Cup and Europa League final viewed as above average for a Rangers team?

Can use any time period you want tbh, id be stunned if youve lost more than 50 league games in the past decade.

You can claim Rangers fans are being "loyal" by sticking a club thats only winning 80+% of games and challenging for 3 trophies, but was the point not that your fans would disappear if you dropped to the level of every other club (only hope is a miracle cup run, winning 50% of league games a great season, guaranteed a couple of thumpings a season, never in europe)?