How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You wouldn't think there's any connection between football supporters at Ibrox and Parkhead and political gestures if you visited matches they attend, right enough.

Of course there's social and political connections at a lot of clubs, not quite sure what your point is though.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

This doesn't really add up for me as most get told who they support at childhood by family members or just copy whoever their pals support at school. At that stage I never really knew the history of dominance and just liked to have a new strip to kick a ball about. Of course it's different if you decide supporting a team in your more adult years as you can research the history etc but realistically the vast majority support the same team from childhood.

If it's all hereditary or dependent on your school, how come it's changed so much over time? 

In the first few seasons after the war, Celtic's gates were on average less than twice the size of those at Queen of the South.  Now they're around 40-50 times as big.

Obviously, various factors play into that, but the idea that this ludicrous current imbalance is entirely historically rooted and somehow consistent with long established family patterns, doesn't really wash.

10 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

You can call someone who seriously believes that Celtic once winning the European Cup is the greatest achievement in the history of world football many thing, I'm not sure ' reasonable' is one of them. 'Delusional' perhaps, a fantasist, almost certainly. A nice and harmless chap, more than likely, but not ' reasonable '.  He's very good at memes and GIFs though, highly droll !

What is delusional Kennie is the utter work of fiction you just posted. Never at any point did I say Celtic winning the European Cup is the greatest achievement in world football 🤣 

What i said it was unrivalled in the European Cup/Champions League with the fact it was won with 11 players of the same nationality and born with such close proximity to where the team played. 

So if you can be anything mate at least try be honest 😉

Edited by Jinky67

13 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

What is delusional Kennie is the utter work of fiction you just posted. Never at any point did I say Celtic winning the European Cup is the greatest achievement in world football 🤣 

What i said it was unrivalled in the European Cup/Champions League with the fact it was won with 11 players of the same nationality and born with such close proximity to where the team played. 

Unrivalled in the European cup is a very bold statement to be honest. Unless you just mean that it’s unique in its nature. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unrivalled in the European cup is a very bold statement to be honest. Unless you just mean that it’s unique in its nature. 

Unique is probably a better description actually however he knows exactly what I was referring to.

To say it’s the greatest footballing achievement is a wild take considering Real Madrids 14 European Cups, Denmark and Greece winning the Euros, Leicester City winning the Premier League, Nottingham Forests achievement and I suppose what Aberdeen done in the the 80’s should be part of the conversation too.

Edited by Jinky67

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If it's all hereditary or dependent on your school, how come it's changed so much over time? 

In the first few seasons after the war, Celtic's gates were on average less than twice the size of those at Queen of the South.  Now they're around 40-50 times as big.

Obviously, various factors play into that, but the idea that this ludicrous current imbalance is entirely historically rooted and somehow consistent with long established family patterns, doesn't really wash.

I wasn't really talking about the imbalance more so as why people pick their teams. And no I'm not saying it's entirely historically routed, the social demographic of those visiting Celtic park these days would be a fair bit different to war times in I would imagine. And yes obviously other factors play in to this such as the advancement of transport meaning less likely to have a big and wee team these days etc.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I wasn't really talking about the imbalance more so as why people pick their teams. And no I'm not saying it's entirely historically routed, the social demographic of those visiting Celtic park these days would be a fair bit different to war times in I would imagine. And yes obviously other factors play in to this such as the advancement of transport meaning less likely to have a big and wee team these days etc.

Before you got your SPT Zonecard, who was your big team?

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Don't let that GeorgiosSamoros twit see this Jinky.

He doesn't like the idea of proximity to come into play at all, even with fans.  It's not about a map and a ruler you know.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 14/03/2023 at 18:02, GeorgiosSamaras said:

(1) We’ve played at Fir Park twice this season, both times the Celtic end was full and there was 5000 empty seats in the rest of the stadium. Motherwell could have sold significantly more tickets and received a relative financial windfall, they chose not to. Not claiming it would not bridge the financial gulf between the clubs but it is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

(2) Despite similar roots Hibs have long taken a different path. Celtic stand alone in terms of embracing their Irish identity. That identity and support is passed down through generations. I would presume most on here support their team because their dad or another family member did too. Idea of saying I live in Blantyre so I should go 3 miles to New Douglas Park instead of 6 miles Celtic Park is nuts. Same principle applies to those who stay in other parts of Scotland or Ireland. People don’t pick their team with a map and a ruler. 

(3) The buzz around Celtic 

Point 1 - The sense of entitlement amongst parts of the Celtic support is something to behold. Home advantage is one of the last slivers of hope the diddies have, catching you on a bad day with the crowd behind us. Why would we give that up for a few extra quid that makes not one iota of difference to the strength of our squad in making us remotely more competitive against you regularly in the long run? Fùck off.

Point 2 - Misty eyed, revisionist pish. Spin it any way you want, but glory hunting and vile religious bigotry alone account for a large part of your fanbase and is worth millions per year to your club, taking people away from every geographical region and rendering them out of touch from the rest of us straight away, and that's before you consider the multi million £££'s from European football etc. It's very much the case in many instances that bigotry is ingrained and passed on down through the generations. It's a scourge and embarrassment in this day and age, and until more folk are prepared to break this disgusting cycle things will never change, so again, fùck off.

Point 3 - Literally no one else in the country outwith yourselves and the sycophantic media who turn a blind eye to all your ill's and questionable baggage is buzzing about your team. Please just fùck off.

On 14/03/2023 at 19:17, Kapowzer said:

You're one of the reasonable ones .... you aligning with anything Georgios is saying?

Not really tbh, I’d much rather see away grounds full of their own fans rather than ours. I like the occasion of going to a hostile away ground outnumbered, the noise etc so I’d much rather see grounds full to capacity but where away fans are a minority.

I live in Wishaw so I can’t say I picked my team with a ruler 🤣 Stranger still in the 80’s I remember being quite fond of Dundee Utd and Kevin Gallagher being my player of choice when playing fitba with my pals. I wasn’t allowed a Celtic top, my mum and dad refused to buy me one despite my dad being a fan.
The turning point was going to the Celtic v Liverpool game post  Hillsborough with my uncle and i hadn’t experienced anything like it before and then I remember going to the St Patrick’s day massacre game and that was it for me, a regular ever since 🤷‍♂️ I don’t really identify with the Irish roots piece, my racial heritage is a bit different and I also served in the armed forces so I don’t really fit the normal Celtic fan stereotype.

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not really tbh, I’d much rather see away grounds full of their own fans rather than ours. I like the occasion of going to a hostile away ground outnumbered, the noise etc so I’d much rather see grounds full to capacity but where away fans are a minority.

I live in Wishaw so I can’t say I picked my team with a ruler 🤣 Stranger still in the 80’s I remember being quite fond of Dundee Utd and Kevin Gallagher being my player of choice when playing fitba with my pals. I wasn’t allowed a Celtic top, my mum and dad refused to buy me one despite my dad being a fan.
The turning point was going to the Celtic v Liverpool game post  Hillsborough with my uncle and i hadn’t experienced anything like it before and then I remember going to the St Patrick’s day massacre game and that was it for me, a regular ever since 🤷‍♂️ I don’t really identify with the Irish roots piece, my racial heritage is a bit different and I also served in the armed forces so I don’t really fit the normal Celtic fan stereotype.

Given his links to Patsy Gallagher it's a bit gutting Kevin never ended up at Celtic at some point. And there's plenty regulars I know at CP over the years that served in the armed forces, couldn't do it myself but you can't blame a guy taking a decent paid job like that when your young.

9 hours ago, gannonball said:

Given his links to Patsy Gallagher it's a bit gutting Kevin never ended up at Celtic at some point. And there's plenty regulars I know at CP over the years that served in the armed forces, couldn't do it myself but you can't blame a guy taking a decent paid job like that when your young.

Yeah always a player I’d have liked to have seen at Celtic. I doubt at the time he left to go to Coventry we would have paid the money they wanted, i think it was £1 million at the time? 

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Why did your mum and dad refuse to buy you a Celtic top?

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Steau Bucharest won in it 1986 with 11 (+2 subs) Romanian players. I doubt they all lived within 30miles of Bucharest though.

Real Madrid won it they year before you with 11 Spaniards

Benfica won it in 62 with 11 Portuguese although Eusebio was technically from Mozambique

There were lots of runners up with 11 players of the same nationality, even the Inter team you beat was all Italian.

8 hours ago, ahemps said:

Steau Bucharest won in it 1986 with 11 (+2 subs) Romanian players. I doubt they all lived within 30miles of Bucharest though.

I checked Wikipedia and midfielder  László Bölöni was born in Târgu Mureș, Transylvania  in 1593

Wait a minute!

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)