How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

What do you think accounts for the rise in attendances in Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in that time? 

Hearts gained a lot of regular fans, as opposed to walk ups in the Romanov years and that never fully dropped off.

2012 helped and the admin year produced a stick together attitude, then helped by our form in the Championship.

I think Hibs' support was galvanised by the 2016 cup win.

Aberdeen I have no idea.

On 19/05/2023 at 18:34, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s a myth that a bigger league = more competitive. 

If you’re serious about making it more competitive then you have to address the fundamental issue of financial disparity. 

This is the beginning and the end of it.

The same teams finish miles clear at the top all the time because they have so much more money than the rest.  

If that's not tackled, no other tinkering will have the slightest effect on it.

On 29/05/2023 at 10:44, effeffsee_the2nd said:

This one is fairly simple even though you would wish it was not the case. sky always show the old firm away game because that will be the game with the largest amount of viewers,  that and the 4 games per stadium limit means they are limited to the old firms home games,  

When the OF are away from home, they only get a few thousand tickets, there will be another 40-  50k season ticket holders who can't go to the game, both clubs also have large home TV audiences, and also a large number of fans in Ireland.  Also, because they seldom play their matches at the same time, fans of one side tune in to their rivals game when it's televised to see the result and what it means for the league.

There are only a couple of exceptions to this, 1. an Edinburgh derby & 2. when rangers are at home to one of Hearts Hibs or Aberdeen whilst Celtic are away to a Ross county or a Dundee  - or vice versa( I picked those 2 as clubs like livi or St Johnstone give them generous ticket allocations) But even in that scenario they are hampered by the 4 home games limit. 

No matter how much you don't like it, St Mirren V Motherwell for a place in the top 6 just isn't going to get enough viewers for a commercial entity like sky

You see, this is all entirely true.

The problem isn't that it's true; it's that number of viewers (and resulting money) is seen as all that can possibly matter.  The TV companies, as financial entities, see it absolutely that way.  The SPFL, sees it just the same for the same reason.  I don't think it should, but it does.

The fairer set up that people like us would find more attractive, would actually be less lucrative.  I'd love us to reach a time, not just in football, where that bottom line wasn't the be all and end all.  Right now though, we've spent three or four decades accepting that it is.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You see, this is all entirely true.

The problem isn't that it's true; it's that number of viewers (and resulting money) is seen as all that can possibly matter.  The TV companies, as financial entities, see it absolutely that way.  The SPFL, sees it just the same for the same reason.  I don't think it should, but it does.

The fairer set up that people like us would find more attractive, would actually be less lucrative.  I'd love us to reach a time, not just in football, where that bottom line wasn't the be all and end all.  Right now though, we've spent three or four decades accepting that it is.

It's also a bit self perpetuating. If you only show the same 2 teams, you only really get most neutrals beginning to follow one of those two teams. Advertisers pay more knowing they are shown every other week in front of hundreds of thousands on TV or tens of thousands in the ground.

Maybe we all cared once apon a time, but it is now what it is and will not change. When it comes to those 2 teams, authorities have just given up pretending to be seen to be balanced. Anyone mind when Doncaster and Co were going to throw the book at them for bigoted singing etc? Anything ever happen there? No. Cinch deal? League just rolled over and on and on.

On the tv viewing figures, I'd be fascinated to see what kind of drop off there is when Celtic or Rangers go 2-3 up away to the likes of Livi, St Johnstone etc and are coasting. Don't know about others, but when the game is gone and they are coasting, I switch off. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's also a bit self perpetuating. If you only show the same 2 teams, you only really get most neutrals beginning to follow one of those two teams. Advertisers pay more knowing they are shown every other week in front of hundreds of thousands on TV or tens of thousands in the ground.

Maybe we all cared once apon a time, but it is now what it is and will not change. When it comes to those 2 teams, authorities have just given up pretending to be seen to be balanced. Anyone mind when Doncaster and Co were going to throw the book at them for bigoted singing etc? Anything ever happen there? No. Cinch deal? League just rolled over and on and on.

On the tv viewing figures, I'd be fascinated to see what kind of drop off there is when Celtic or Rangers go 2-3 up away to the likes of Livi, St Johnstone etc and are coasting. Don't know about others, but when the game is gone and they are coasting, I switch off. 

It is entirely self perpetuating in the way it's portrayed.

Again, you and I would switch off when one of them goes 3 up.  Unfortunately, far more would stay absorbed hoping it could be 5 or 6.  

Tragically, more people like their football this way, than don't.

7 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

To be honest I love seeing the dandies batter some poor diddies.

Luckily Dundee are back for a few games next season

I’d say any fan enjoys scudding teams. Part of the joy of that is its rarity and generally the element of surprise that comes when it happens. 

If you were hitting 4 and 5 regularly and you turn up disappointed if you don’t then I genuinely can’t see how that’s fun. 

2 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

If Hearts could make all the home games for 3pm on a Saturday that would mean giving up on some tv money which could go to clubs that don't have as big a budget as us. That would help even things up a little bit and give the Hearts fans the best kick off time very weekend.

One of the things that put me off getting a season ticket last season was the prospect of hardly any Saturday 3pms. I think we ended up with maybe 5 or 6 at home?

Same thing for this season. I've been wavering for a few years of maybe jumping back in to the Hearts home and away all the time world, but when you look at how the season will pan out, it's a big commitment knowing that a lot of games will be moved for tv or PPV or us or opponents playing in Europe.

I get there's a balance to be struck with tv money etc, but I just can't be arsed with traipsing along to Tynecastle on loads of Sundays or Saturday lunchtimes. I genuinely just enjoy it less.

8 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

One of the things that put me off getting a season ticket last season was the prospect of hardly any Saturday 3pms. I think we ended up with maybe 5 or 6 at home?

Same thing for this season. I've been wavering for a few years of maybe jumping back in to the Hearts home and away all the time world, but when you look at how the season will pan out, it's a big commitment knowing that a lot of games will be moved for tv or PPV or us or opponents playing in Europe.

I get there's a balance to be struck with tv money etc, but I just can't be arsed with traipsing along to Tynecastle on loads of Sundays or Saturday lunchtimes. I genuinely just enjoy it less.

On the other hand there are people out there that can't do Saturdays

On 04/06/2023 at 20:02, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The standard of football in the Cup final yesterday and the playoffs today was absolutely God awful.

If you're trying to attract people to attend Scottish games rather than watch the EPL then give up. Will never happen.

I didn’t see the cup final, but the standard of entertainment in the playoffs was fantastic.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

No it wasn't, it was shite. 

To be honest I thought the English cup final, for all its technical excellence was an utter bore. I’d far rather watch Ross County v Thistle.