How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

32 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do clubs like Mothewell sell out their home allocation most week? Just wondered as watched the highlights and the home end looked very empty but wondered whether that was due to the opposition

Can't speak for Motherwell, but we have had lower home attendances against the Old Firm than other clubs. 

5 hours ago, Aufc said:

Do clubs like Mothewell sell out their home allocation most week? Just wondered as watched the highlights and the home end looked very empty but wondered whether that was due to the opposition

We don't sell out our home allocation, no, but the home attendance for games v Rangers & Celtic go down by about 20-30%, compared to games v the rest. It's been happening for years now. 

Shite kick-off times, live on the telly (usually) and thousands of them signing the usual party songs. I don't blame anyone for staying away.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

We don't sell out our home allocation, no, but the home attendance for games v Rangers & Celtic go down by about 20-30%, compared to games v the rest. It's been happening for years now. 

Shite kick-off times, live on the telly (usually) and thousands of them signing the usual party songs. I don't blame anyone for staying away.

Cant be many teams that dont have this issue against them? Maybe Hearts?

We seemingly went years with less home fans at OF games than season ticket holders.

I heard Alan Burrows discuss this a couple of years ago and he mentioned that he knew Motherwell and Aberdeen had fewer home supporters at these games. It doesn't surprise me that St Mirren and St Johnstone are saying this as well. I know a Killie season ticket holder who doesn't go to the OF games with his 2 sons. It is likely that all but maybe Hearts and Hibs are seeing lower crowds for these games. Hearts and Hibs may still sell out as they have a big support and they seem to have few results against these teams (within the last 5years).

If you are say a Motherwell fan and haven't won at Ibrox for 29yrs and haven't beat them at Fir park in 58 games and have to listen to their disgusting fan base then no wonder the home crowds are down for these games. There is nothing but misery in it for them. These games are not what football is about for the the non OF fan.

On 17/03/2023 at 07:20, Molotov said:

No joke if it was your town. 

http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2013/01/60-injured-as-celtic-fans-riot-in.html?m=1

Greatest fans in the world eh?

Despite their terrific behaviour in Seville they had significant problems during that UEFA run most notably in Blackburn.

It’s no wonder those teams have not been welcomed to join the leagues south of the border.

Greatest fans in the world...

19 hours ago, Aufc said:

As @Desp said, if by 'sell out' you're meaning that there are literally no seats available in the home end most weeks then the answer is...no.

To put it in numbers terms: Fir Park's capacity is 13,742. The McLean stand that houses the away support holds 4,856 so the maximum possible home capacity comes in at 8,886. I'm not sure about this season but last year's season ticket sales were (a record) 5,226+ which means if you round up to say, 5,300 (roughly 60% of the available seats) you're looking at approx. 3,586 tickets available for walk-up in the home end.

You can't really make the assumption that every ST holder turns up to every home game either but the seat is still 'sold' so won't be re-sold.

As @ahemps just said, Burrows has previously pointed out, possibly on his Twitter during one of his semi-regular explainers as to precisely why we choose not to give the **** and Celtic more tickets, that the club were aware that there was an increase in ST non-attendance for those games based on the data they pulled from STs being scanned in.

I can't remember exactly what the number was but it was a noticeable %.

Edited by capt_oats

You mean to tell me fans are choosing to stay away when the OF are in town? That they don't fancy paying to watch their team get pumped in front of thousands of gloating OF fans? Astonishing if true. I have a great idea for Motherwell. Instead of providing any sort of incentive to their supporters for attending these particular games they should just give three of their stands away to the OF.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65637693

Lee Bullen making a call for the expansion of the Scottish Premiership.

Personally I'd like to see a change made as one could argue the top flight can be little boring playing the same teams 3-4 times a season. Even an increase to 14 teams would make the league a little more interesting.

Up until the 70s the top flight and Division 2 included 16-18 teams. Is it time for an expansion or does it all depend on the size of the TV package secured by the league/what The Rangers and Celtic want?

Edited by HarleyQuinn

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65637693

Lee Bullen making a call for the expansion of the Scottish Premiership.

Personally I'd like to see a change made as one could argue the top flight can be little boring playing the same teams 3-4 times a season. Even an increase to 14 teams would make the league a little more interesting.

Up until the 70s the top flight and Division 2 included 16-18 teams. Is it time for an expansion or does it all depend on the size of the TV package secured by the league/what The Rangers and Celtic want?

I agree with his conclusion but his argument is shit. 

"Making it easier for shite teams to get promoted" is the weakest case for expansion he could make. 

Sky need their 4 old firm games so 12 teams with the split after 33 games is the way it’s going to be for a while.

Edited by TheScarf

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I agree with his conclusion but his argument is shit. 

"Making it easier for shite teams to get promoted" is the weakest case for expansion he could make. 

Yeah that’ll never happen, what they need to do is change the play offs so it matches the format of the other leagues in the SPFL.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah that’ll never happen, what they need to do is change the play offs so it matches the format of the other leagues in the SPFL.

Does that not bring up scheduling issues as Championship clubs have to wait weeks for the top flight to finish their season before the play offs can start?

Or the Championship can just have a random 2 week break somewhere during the season. 

We had a bigger league before. Why did we decide to bin it?

Personally, I think the small leagues work well. Every division in the country has been exciting this season.  Every issue in every division has been up for grabs all season and the vast majority of clubs have been involved in something exciting right up to the end of the season. In the fourth tier there have been clubs involved in promotion and relegation battles in the same season. The Championship is regularly great entertainment. Why do we want to get rid of that?

Making the leagues bigger won't stop the Old Firm winning or make it in any way more competitive. I hate that this shitey argument gets traction.

Adding another four or six Championship-level clubs is not going to take points off the Old Firm. They'll win even more easily. The gap will not get smaller. People need to stop and really think through what a 16 or 18-team league would actually play out like in terms of mid-table top-flight clubs and what kind of second-tier we'd be left with.

I see the "NOT THEM AGAIN" four games a season argument as the same as the "THEY'RE SEVENTH BUT THEY'VE GOT MORE POINTS THAT SIXTH" pish some folk hit out with. Decreasing jeapordy in the leagues is not worth it so you get two games against St Mirren and two games against Partick Thistle rather than four against one of them. And as a Hearts fan, do I f**k want to swap four games with Hibs for two with a couple of games against Queens Park to replace them.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Big leagues can work well  and there can be fewer meaningless games, if you expand the number of promotion places and the number of relegation and playoff places.

The italicised bit is why it will never happen.

In any case, the current Spiffle Premier, even with the split, is packed with meaningless games, ie, every single one not involving the Uglies or relegation candidates.

6 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

1) Big leagues can work well  and there can be fewer meaningless games, if you expand the number of promotion places and the number of relegation and playoff places.

2) In any case, the current Spiffle Premier, even with the split, is packed with meaningless games, ie, every single one not involving the Uglies or relegation candidates.

1) Is that better than what we have now? Say an 18-team league with three down. We could easily have two teams basically relegated by the spring, and likewise two promoted by spring. Is this better than what we have now? Why?

2) This just isn't true. We have four teams playing for European places, a mob of teams trying to avoid going down, and in the few weeks up to the split we had a few teams vying for that, all of whom treated it as a big deal. And it is a big deal. Financially it matters and it gives access to Europe.

People can say the split doesn't matter all they want. It is untrue. Motherwell can't qualify for Europe because they never made it. Hibs can.

Making the leagues bigger has far more downsides than upsides as far as I can see.

5 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Big leagues can work well  and there can be fewer meaningless games, if you expand the number of promotion places and the number of relegation and playoff places.

In any case, the current Spiffle Premier, even with the split, is packed with meaningless games, ie, every single one not involving the Uglies or relegation candidates.

The bottom six this year is as competitive as it’s possible to get.   Increasing the number of promoted teams will only increase the number of meaningless games. With all due respect to Ayr, Partick Thistle and Queens Park, those teams would be absolute whipping boys if they went up.

There is a case to be made for a bigger division, but this isn’t the season to use competitiveness as a reasoning.