How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

40 minutes ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

We’ve played at Fir Park twice this season, both times the Celtic end was full and there was 5000 empty seats in the rest of the stadium. Motherwell could have sold significantly more tickets and received a relative financial windfall, they chose not to. Not claiming it would not bridge the financial gulf between the clubs but it is cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

Why don't the diddy teams just sell all the tickets to Celtic, and not bother with home fans? That would make more money.

1 hour ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

I'll respond to this because as far as I can see it's the most comprehensive answer to my post, but trying to answer points raised by others within it.

We’ve played at Fir Park twice this season, both times the Celtic end was full and there was 5000 empty seats in the rest of the stadium. Motherwell could have sold significantly more tickets and received a relative financial windfall, they chose not to. Not claiming it would not bridge the financial gulf between the clubs but it is cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

Rangers success in the 1990s was built on a limitless overdraft from the BoS. It was the only sustained period of dominance they’ve had since the 1950s and it was entirely artificial, spending cash they didn’t have. Fergus could have let Celtic die as Rangers fans let their club die in 2012 but he paid our debts. He could have put our financial security in jeopardy by borrowing money we didn’t have as our rivals did. He didn’t, he set in motion a plan to build sustainable success. 

Despite similar roots Hibs have long taken a different path. Celtic stand alone in terms of embracing their Irish identity. That identity and support is passed down through generations. I would presume most on here support their team because their dad or another family member did too. Idea of saying I live in Blantyre so I should go 3 miles to New Douglas Park instead of 6 miles Celtic Park is nuts. Same principle applies to those who stay in other parts of Scotland or Ireland. People don’t pick their team with a map and a ruler. 

Every team has to sell their prize assets, Celtic are no different to other Scottish teams in that regard. Ange has brought in more than he spent. I’d love to have Tierney, Van Dijk and Dembele in the team but we wouldn’t have the squad we have just now without a conveyer belt of players heading out. 

The buzz around Celtic just now isn’t just because they are winning, it’s the style of football they are playing. I seen an Aberdeen fan respond to me scoffing at the idea of actually trying to play football against us. What chance does Scottish football have when a big team with a European trophy are content with creating 0 chances, having 20% of the ball and sitting 11 men behind the ball at home, and still losing, just because it kept the score down? As others have mentioned, we got pumped by Real Madrid and Leipzig this year.  No excuses about budgets, we lost because we faced better teams. Celtic fans aren’t complaining because we went toe to toe with them and had a go anyway.

I mind when hearts were in the championship (2015) we had a great style of play against teams far inferior to ours. I enjoyed it but I’d imagine it would get shite doing that annually. All this joy you talk of you might want to let big Ange know of it as he looks a right miserable cunto!

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's actually part of my 'Play the youth team'  masterplan.

I highly doubt any professional footballer will be happy at the thought of spending up to 22% of their league fixtures at home especially when many professional contracts incorporate bonuses for appearances, goals ete so all you do is limit your ability to sign anyone.

Silly plan

Just now, Jinky67 said:

I highly doubt any professional footballer will be happy at the thought of spending up to 22% of their league fixtures at home especially when many professional contracts incorporate bonuses for appearances, goals ete so all you do is limit your ability to sign anyone.

Silly plan

You're one of the reasonable ones .... you aligning with anything Georgios is saying?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This always tickles me.  

The idea of Dads passing their support on doesn't begin to explain why the gates of most clubs have diminished since the high point of the early 50s; while those of the OF have risen.

It seems that only support for sides that win all the time is hereditary.

Yep, it's also very often untrue too.

Earlier today I had a quick click on our friend Johnny's profile (his recent media was a combination of Scottish football meets busty women :lol:) and was shocked to discover that he regularly attended Cappielow in the early 60s as a kid. He's been supporting Celtic for "more than 55 years" apparently.

Two googles later...

1968.thumb.png.6b3cfb051d8505c1b16d7cab47fc260e.png

...and...

1967.thumb.png.8fa42dc06444cbf389a4108ecf688346.png

...we have our answer.

Probably just a total coincidence, mind you. :whistle

Edited by HibsFan

Fair play to Celtic fans btw, decades of clubs trying to figure out how to bridge the gap and theyve managed to solve the riddle in 48 hours.

The unfallible 3 step plan to glory

- Double/triple your attendances

- Sign multiple players on £20k+ a week

- Play an open expansive game even if you lose heavily 67% of the time

The buzz around Celtic just now isn’t just because they are winning, it’s the style of football they are playing. 

Really? Against the shite you face in the league and cups and that’s the buzz? Ambition knows no bounds.

The buzz around Celtic just now isn’t just because they are winning, it’s the style of football they are playing.

image.gif.4cc5c80e37f29570048045015ff45121.gif

5 hours ago, AndyM said:

And that's what it's meant to be like. Back in my younger days it was "Win or lose we'll be on the booze".

Assume it would be no different if you followed Hearts or Aberdeen.  I have real admiration for those Hibees going to Parkhead this weekend. Arguably the most pointless soul crushing journey outside of a trip to fucking IKEA with the Mrs.

Maybe that was the alternative...

2 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

No excuses about budgets, we lost because we faced better teams. Celtic fans aren’t complaining because we went toe to toe with them and had a go anyway.

Rangers success in the 1990s was built on a limitless overdraft from the BoS. It was the only sustained period of dominance they’ve had since the 1950s and it was entirely artificial, spending cash they didn’t have. 

The Office Reaction GIF

11 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

What "buzz" is there around Celtic? 

There's a strong Roy Keane "burst on to the scene did ya?" about that

Wasn't "there's a buzz about the place" an Only an Excuse? sketch probably the 1990's when it was last funny.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

You're one of the reasonable ones .... you aligning with anything Georgios is saying?

You seem to have triggered the fan club mate. I haven’t actually read what he posted but I’ll go back and have a look

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is he Hell?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Since when? 🤣

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

Edited by Jinky67

I'll respond to this because as far as I can see it's the most comprehensive answer to my post, but trying to answer points raised by others within it.

Rangers success in the 1990s was built on a limitless overdraft from the BoS. It was the only sustained period of dominance they’ve had since the 1950s and it was entirely artificial, spending cash they didn’t have. Fergus could have let Celtic die as Rangers fans let their club die in 2012 but he paid our debts. He could have put our financial security in jeopardy by borrowing money we didn’t have as our rivals did. He didn’t, he set in motion a plan to build sustainable success. 

Despite similar roots Hibs have long taken a different path. Celtic stand alone in terms of embracing their Irish identity. That identity and support is passed down through generations. I would presume most on here support their team because their dad or another family member did too. Idea of saying I live in Blantyre so I should go 3 miles to New Douglas Park instead of 6 miles Celtic Park is nuts. Same principle applies to those who stay in other parts of Scotland or Ireland. People don’t pick their team with a map and a ruler. 

Every team has to sell their prize assets, Celtic are no different to other Scottish teams in that regard. Ange has brought in more than he spent. I’d love to have Tierney, Van Dijk and Dembele in the team but we wouldn’t have the squad we have just now without a conveyer belt of players heading out. 

The buzz around Celtic just now isn’t just because they are winning, it’s the style of football they are playing. I seen an Aberdeen fan respond to me scoffing at the idea of actually trying to play football against us. What chance does Scottish football have when a big team with a European trophy are content with creating 0 chances, having 20% of the ball and sitting 11 men behind the ball at home, and still losing, just because it kept the score down? As others have mentioned, we got pumped by Real Madrid and Leipzig this year.  No excuses about budgets, we lost because we faced better teams. Celtic fans aren’t complaining because we went toe to toe with them and had a go anyway.