How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

10 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

Get why fans of other clubs would be unhappy with the status quo but talking of splitting ticket sales and the like suggests some seriously clouded judgement. 

Celtic have an inbuilt advantage over every other club in the league, Rangers included, because we sell 10,000 tickets more than anyone else every second week. We are able to do that because rather than chase short term success in the 1990s Fergus McCann built a 60,000 stadium. In other words, we paid for it, we suffered our rivals spending outwith their means and matching our 9IAR and in the long term it has paid off.  

We're not Chelsea or Man City pumped up on unearned funds provided by shady businessmen. The club turn a profit. We fill the stadium not because of glory hunters as some suggest but because for a very long time Irish Scots and their descendants were not welcome in Scotland and naturally whether they were from Parkhead or Peterhead gravitated towards the team that represented them. In every one of Ireland's 32 counties you'll find Celtic fans not because of success but because of what the club represents. 

Don't think there is a way that any other team will have the sustained success that Celtic have had over the past few years. That's not to say others won't win the odd title and cup. Things that have been suggested like changing the structure of the football leagues, in particular moving to a larger premier league, and adding in more promotions and relegations all make sense to me. Other than that, I'd say clubs should sell tickets to fans who want to go to games - we regularly play v teams with half empty stands when we could fill every stadium for every game. Teams are cutting their nose off to spite their face. Failing that, teams could change up their style to get more of their own fans through the door. Pretty rare for Celtic to play a team who don't sit 11 men behind the ball and spend the game trying to launch a long ball on top of Greg Taylor. From experience of watching Celtic in Europe it's better to watch your team have a go and lose than sit in and lose. 

There's a lot of shite in here, but first and foremost the claim that it's some massive misty eyed Irish diaspora that powers Celtic attendances and not glory hunting can be pretty readily disproved by looking at how shite your attendances have been in the very few fallow periods.

You lot like winning, nowt wrong with that, but own it

16 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Celtic’s support in Ireland is wildly exaggerated.

Absolutely dwarfed by United and Liverpool apparently.

I've always wondered and thought, why would folk In South Ireland follow Scottish football when England is closer, is pumped into their living rooms exactly the same as it is in Scotland, and all of their internationals play there.  

4 hours ago, bennett said:

I'm welling up here after reading that.

What celtic have been through and what they do for Scottish fitba is amazing. 

We should have a celtic day every year where we can all celebrate celtics greatness.

We kinda do, it’s called “flag day” and it’s now common because your mob have been pish of late.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I've always wondered and thought, why would folk In South Ireland follow Scottish football when England is closer, is pumped into their living rooms exactly the same as it is in Scotland, and all of their internationals play there.  

Celtic are their wee team, I reckon.

Like when I go and watch Jeanfield Swifts or Auchterarder Primrose on the odd weekend here.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I was in Dublin Airport last month and saw numerous Liverpool shirts whereupon I checked FlashScores to discover Liverpool wwere playing Everton at Anfield that evening.

I also saw ex-Dunfermline gaffer Stephen Kenny bedecked from man-bag to clobber in Calvin Klein which made me think that he hasn't got much about him, personality-wise I mean...obviously the Irish job has deepened his pockets but to what ends?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 hours ago, bennett said:

I'm welling up here after reading that.

What celtic have been through and what they do for Scottish fitba is amazing. 

We should have a celtic day every year where we can all celebrate celtics greatness.

Does that not be when the league trophy gets presented?

10 hours ago, Aufc said:

Maybe I don’t feel as much dislike as you because I support a diddy team who is not really impacted by the old firm and their dominance. 

Is that what you actually believe?

Clubs like yours and mine are absolutely hugely impacted by the OF's dominance.

Massively so.

17 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

Failing that, teams could change up their style to get more of their own fans through the door. 

It's difficult to pick a highlight from this platter of relentless shit, but I think I'll go with the above.

It's just beautiful in its self serving stupidity.

What an absolute dick.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is that what you actually believe?

Clubs like yours and mine are absolutely hugely impacted by the OF's dominance.

Massively so.

How so? The prize money that filters down is part of the overall prize money. The overall prize money is higher for them being in Scottish football.  It’s not like airdrie are suddenly going to be challenging for a place in the premier league if the old firm disappeared. All that would happen is teams like hearts and aberdeen would dominate more albeit it would possibly be spread out a bit more. 

i would say a bigger issue for teams like airdrie is the reluctance of the top teams to expand the league. 

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

How so? The prize money that filters down is part of the overall prize money. The overall prize money is higher for them being in Scottish football.  It’s not like airdrie are suddenly going to be challenging for a place in the premier league if the old firm disappeared. All that would happen is teams like hearts and aberdeen would dominate more albeit it would possibly be spread out a bit more. 

i would say a bigger issue for teams like airdrie is the reluctance of the top teams to expand the league. 

Oh ffs!  Develop some critical faculties.

How many people from Airdrie and thereabouts, who like football, don't support Airdrie because the big shiny, things that get all the glory and coverage, prove too seductive?

Their existence does clubs all over Scotland untold damage.

Your belief in the benefits of tiny amounts trickling down would embarrass Liz Truss.

Introduce US style playoffs at the end of the season. Team that wins the league season gets the champions league spot and associated monies, but the team that wins the playoffs are the champs for the record books.

Lots of ways to do it, but just make the top-6 a split to get into the playoffs and go from there. Clearly a flawed idea in a few obvious ways, but would either result in a non-old firm team getting a knockout game chance to win a title, or you get an old-firm league decider every year which should bring in a fair bit of cash. I used to hate this idea, but what do we really have to lose by trying something like it now?

29 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Introduce US style playoffs at the end of the season. Team that wins the league season gets the champions league spot and associated monies, but the team that wins the playoffs are the champs for the record books.

Lots of ways to do it, but just make the top-6 a split to get into the playoffs and go from there. Clearly a flawed idea in a few obvious ways, but would either result in a non-old firm team getting a knockout game chance to win a title, or you get an old-firm league decider every year which should bring in a fair bit of cash. I used to hate this idea, but what do we really have to lose by trying something like it now?

Nobody in any position of power wants a Diddy club to be taking champions league spots. None. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh ffs!  Develop some critical faculties.

How many people from Airdrie and thereabouts, who like football, don't support Airdrie because the big shiny, things that get all the glory and coverage, prove too seductive?

Their existence does clubs all over Scotland untold damage.

Your belief in the benefits of tiny amounts trickling down would embarrass Liz Truss.

But they won’t disappear so it’s a completely pointless discussion? 

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

But they won’t disappear so it’s a completely pointless discussion? 

If they weren't so dominant, they wouldn't be so attractive.

If incomes were less wildly imbalanced, they wouldn't be so dominant.

Are you new to football?