How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

• 3 months later...

The solution is for them to leave, which will never happen. The reality is that due to the financial disparity it’s a guff product and we know who the two winners of this league will be for the next 30+ years - it will be the same two winners for the last 30+ years.

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

we know who the two winners of this league will be for the next 30+ years - it will be the same two winners for the last 30+ years.

There have been three winners in the past 30 years, but one of them died the same death of liquidation as Third Lanark and Gretna before them.

33 minutes ago, Squonk said:

There have been three winners in the past 30 years, but one of them died the same death of liquidation as Third Lanark and Gretna before them.

Yep and that once in a lifetime event presented a unique opportunity for the other clubs to get involved in the title race. They did not, and it’s now back to normal. There’ll never be another occasion where one of them is out the league and the other one is rubbish.

57 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s utterly broken. If the fans of the two clubs weren’t so pathetic they’d be able to see how pointless it is. But here we are. 

There was a chance to change Scottish fitba but Aberdeen knew best.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

Every Aberdeen fan I’ve ever spoken to hated that decision. 

Struggling to see what your point is other than a glib attempt to deflect. 

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

The biggest opportunity for change came when Rangers self-destructed and died, but Scottish football's administrators and club chairmen opted for the lure of financial security that would somehow be provided by the recently worthless but nonetheless fabled blue pound, over opportunism.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

The solution is for them to leave, which will never happen. The reality is that due to the financial disparity it’s a guff product and we know who the two winners of this league will be for the next 30+ years - it will be the same two winners for the last 30+ years.

As much as I hate them I personally wouldn't want them to leave. I'd be happier with a situation in that there's at least a chance someone else can win the league. Like the 80s. It wouldn't bother me as much if the Old Firm continue to win most of the trophies, but knowing that there's a truly realistic chance of other clubs challenging for the league and cups would be far more exciting. The problem lies with the SPFL/SFA who have geared the whole of Scottish football in a way that caters for the Old Firm. Rather than have an exciting league that would ultimately gather more interest from fans and TV companies they would rather our league was a foregone conclusion every season. Completely brainless.

Edited by jamamafegan

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s utterly broken. If the fans of the two clubs weren’t so pathetic they’d be able to see how pointless it is. But here we are. 

I think fans can accept that it is broken without believing it is pointless.

You wouldn't get many that would argue against the fact the current set-up in Scotland means Rangers but more so Celtic, are the only teams that have a chance of winning the title.

Personally I feel that a structure that allowed competition from a wider variety of teams would be a more appealing one than a personal competition with 1 other team, for obvious reasons. I still wouldn't label that competition we have with Celtic pointless though, just diminished. But I obviously appreciate how it will be different for fans of other clubs.

As pointed out in the mathematical milestones thread, that's it officially a 2 horse race with 10 games left. 

Celtic are winning games by an average of 2.5 goals and are on target for a goal difference of 95. At the current rate, there's a possibility that the team in 3rd could land up as many as 50pts behind the champions.

Only 2 ways i can see of the league being made competitive, first one def wont happen, pooling the money into an even split, or sharing gate money. Or a handicap system with the top 2 teams starting with minus 50pts, to give everyone else a chance. With the financial gulf between those two teams there just isn't going to be a hope of anyone else winning the league, not unless some billionaire takes an interest in another team and bankrolls them to match their playing budgets.

22 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

As pointed out in the mathematical milestones thread, that's it officially a 2 horse race with 10 games left. 

Celtic are winning games by an average of 2.5 goals and are on target for a goal difference of 95. At the current rate, there's a possibility that the team in 3rd could land up as many as 50pts behind the champions.

All they have to do is want to win 17 more games, by applying some football knowledge and showing ambition...

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Yep and that once in a lifetime event presented a unique opportunity for the other clubs to get involved in the title race. They did not, and it’s now back to normal. There’ll never be another occasion where one of them is out the league and the other one is rubbish.

Relatively speaking. They still had far better players than anyone else and were still massively outspending everyone. They were still massively ahead of the rest.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Relatively speaking. They still had far better players than anyone else and were still massively outspending everyone. They were still massively ahead of the rest.

No doubt, but they were just about within reach if one of the other city clubs could have put together a great season. In 2013 Celitc won the league with 78 points, they drew seven and lost seven games that season.  To give that a bit of context, the current Celtic team have 79 points with 10 games left and Rangers are struggling along in second spot with a meagre 70 points.  There was an outside chance someone outside of those two could have won the league between about 2012 and 2016. Now there is no chance and I don't expect any of us will live to see it happen.