Hearts v St Johnstone 28/8/22

Beaton was very poor. As is often the case.

I thought the Murphy incident was a clear penalty, Phillips should have walked (and Beaton rushed that one, should have let it sink in and think about it), the foul not given for dragging Ginelly about was laughable. He also had a few poor advantage/no advantage calls.

But it's more the sense that he wasn't really in control. He let the game become frantic and ragged. A really poor referee unable to exert authority and allow for a good game.

I think that was one of the worst-quality 3-2s I've ever seen. Honestly didn't really enjoy it.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I thought the Murphy incident was a clear penalty, Phillips should have walked (and Beaton rushed that one, should have let it sink in and think about it), the foul not given for dragging Ginelly about was laughable. He also had a few poor advantage/no advantage calls.

But it's more the sense that he wasn't really in control. He let the game become frantic and ragged. A really poor referee unable to exert authority and allow for a good game.

I think that was one of the worst-quality 3-2s I've ever seen. Honestly didn't really enjoy it.

Interested to see several Hearts fans saying we should have had a penalty. I thought the defender was playing a dangerous game putting his arm into Murphy’s back but that it would have been a soft one. That said, if it was given it would presumably have been a red card? Would have been a game changer for sure.

As for Philips, I felt like that tackle alone probably wasn’t worth a red. A hard tackle for sure, but he wasn’t over the ball, wasn’t particularly showing his studs (though I’m willing to be proved wrong if there are angles that show something else that weren’t on the absolutely 100% legitimate stream I was watching) and he obviously got and came away with the ball. I think the fact that Boyce somehow got himself horrendously injured at the same moment maybe colours peoples view of that one.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Interested to see several Hearts fans saying we should have had a penalty. I thought the defender was playing a dangerous game putting his arm into Murphy’s back but that it would have been a soft one. That said, if it was given it would presumably have been a red card? Would have been a game changer for sure.

As for Philips, I felt like that tackle alone probably wasn’t worth a red. A hard tackle for sure, but he wasn’t over the ball, wasn’t particularly showing his studs (though I’m willing to be proved wrong if there are angles that show something else that weren’t on the absolutely 100% legitimate stream I was watching) and he obviously got and came away with the ball. I think the fact that Boyce somehow got himself horrendously injured at the same moment maybe colours peoples view of that one.

Nothing to do with the Boyce injury personally, just thought it was a red. Jumped in with a straight leg and sole of his foot showing, can't tackle that way these days.

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I agree regarding Beaton. Not claiming any bias, just that he never had a grip of it at all.

As for the game, I enjoyed it. Apart from being burnt to a crisp in the main stand. Sun was directly on me for about 35 minutes, I'm too pasty to handle that!

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Nothing to do with the Boyce injury personally, just thought it was a red. Jumped in with a straight leg and sole of his foot showing, can't tackle that way these days.

If it had been red I doubt it’s one that would have been overturned on appeal anyway. It’s such a stupid type of tackle to make these days, needless. Philips is almost a guaranteed booking every game from what we’ve seen so far.

I think the Murphy one is one of those that when we get VAR it wouldnt be overturned whatever the ref decided.  Seen them given but also it would be soft because there's not much force in the challenge.

Phillips i thought the tackle was a yellow.  He was lucky not be booked in the build up to the corner for the equaliser when he gave the ball away and clattered Devlin though.

26 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Gutted that we didn't win the crowd w**k but will settle for the scratch side picking up the 3 points. Enjoy this season's relegation scrap boys.

We’ll need to be near the team in 11th for it to qualify as a scrap. More of a long farewell. 

Add Beaton to the list of abysmal Scottish refs. WTF was he doing?

Pleased to see Gino having a good game. Boyce too until his injury - wonder if it was a coincidence that SJ came into game more in the second half in Boyce's absence? Neilson, Mackay and Smith all good too. Shankland didn't do much but score which is kind of his thing. Looks like he needs to sharpen up a bit though.

As to St Johnstone...

dexter murder GIF by Challenger

I'd be a bit gutted winning both cups in the same season and not being there to see or celebrate any of it, like. Similar to Rangers and Liverpool being Covid TV Champs. Also probably why you all hate your manager so much and don't give him any 'respect', when he should have massive credit in the bank seeing as merely keeping a tiny club like St Johnstone in the league should be acceptable.

Hearts fans seem a wee bit bitter towards St Johnstone. Other than a st Mirren fan mentioning the atmosphere,  I dont think any Saints fans have mentioned much about the game other than our poor performance., certainly little for hearts fans to get so animated over after a fairly routine victory.

When you spend all that money only to win nothing (zero) in over a decade and suffer two relegations, whilst a tiny club like St Johnstone win three major honours, it must be a bit hard to take.

9 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

The lack of respect being shown to the Double Winning Champs by fans of a yoyo club like Hearts is very disappointing.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hearts fans seem a wee bit bitter towards St Johnstone. Other than a st Mirren fan mentioning the atmosphere,  I dont think any Saints fans have mentioned much about the game other than our poor performance., certainly little for hearts fans to get so animated over after a fairly routine victory.

When you spend all that money only to win nothing (zero) in over a decade and suffer two relegations, whilst a tiny club like St Johnstone win three major honours, it must be a bit hard to take.

Double whining St Johnstone thread for this pish.

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

Might be a wee bit pricey for you fermers, mind.

13 hours ago, Mr. X said:

You wouldn't know what noise a big home crowd makes ffs.

12 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

😀. What a fanny.

St Johnstone can have the sing when you're winning or getting an unexpected draw points. we'll take the 3 points.

11 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Beaton kept the score down. The Welly-boys should erect a statue of him.

11 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

Gutted that we didn't win the crowd w**k but will settle for the scratch side picking up the 3 points. Enjoy this season's relegation scrap boys.

8 hours ago, Elixir said:

I'd be a bit gutted winning both cups in the same season and not being there to see or celebrate any of it, like. Similar to Rangers and Liverpool being Covid TV Champs. Also probably why you all hate your manager so much and don't give him any 'respect', when he should have massive credit in the bank seeing as merely keeping a tiny club like St Johnstone in the league should be acceptable.

53 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Keyboard taking a beating here much like your dug shite fitba team☺️

5 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Double whining St Johnstone thread for this pish.

Happy The Sopranos GIF