Hearts v St Johnstone 28/8/22

Massive win in the circumstances. We had a back three of Halliday, Neilson and Smith for most of that.

Neilson was excellent and looked much better than Sibbick has. Ought to be ahead of him in the pecking order now.

I thought we needed to bring in a CB and a couple of attackers before that. Now we've got Rowles and Boyce on crutches.  Hopefully we've got a busy week ahead.

Delighted to get three points out of that. The changes with injuries, suspension, and rotation meant we lacked fluency to begin with, then the injuries made it a nightmare. 

Very big day to just dig out a win. St Johnstone are horrific and they’ll go down. Shambles to face an opponent with Hearts’ problems today and take nothing from the game. 

I’ve said before our schedule will be a major hindrance to league form, and that was a good example today. Against almost any other opponent we’d have lost today. The injury list already looks dreadful. 

Edited by VincentGuerin

14 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Massive win in the circumstances. We had a back three of Halliday, Neilson and Smith for most of that.

Neilson was excellent and looked much better than Sibbick has. Ought to be ahead of him in the pecking order now.

I thought we needed to bring in a CB and a couple of attackers before that. Now we've got Rowles and Boyce on crutches.  Hopefully we've got a busy week ahead.

Attackers i agree.  If we bring in another CH i think it's overkill, unless the 3 injuries are worse than they look.  Neilson looked more than capable today

14 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Attackers i agree.  If we bring in another CH i think it's overkill, unless the 3 injuries are worse than they look.  Neilson looked more than capable today

On the subject of potential squad player signings to provide cover at the back how did Ryan McGowan get on today?

37 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Yeah poor noise from a big home crowd

Delicious.

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Hearts benefit from an awful penalty decision in the first half. Referees terrified of these rocking fans.

Also delicious.

Aberdeen should know shan penalty awards inside out, tbf.

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The injury to Rowles looked pretty worrying to me. Robbie Neilson mentioned his metatarsal I think. Halkett and Kingsley being injured at the same time is also not a big surprise unfortunately given their history of picking up niggles.

Neilson looked really promising but it's worth remembering that it's St Johnstone and it's one game. Not much to go on from his time at Dundee United.

I'd maybe accept signing a right-back instead and allowing Smith to cover across more often, but otherwise I think it's a must. Especially if we want to use a three frequently (I'm sure we will).

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

The injury to Rowles looked pretty worrying to me. Robbie Neilson mentioned his metatarsal I think. Halkett and Kingsley being injured at the same time is also not a big surprise unfortunately given their history of picking up niggles.

Neilson looked really promising but it's worth remembering that it's St Johnstone and it's one game. Not much to go on from his time at Dundee United.

I'd maybe accept signing a right-back instead and allowing Smith to cover across more often, but otherwise I think it's a must. Especially if we want to use a three frequently (I'm sure we will).

I think a RB that can maybe cover CH would be my preference - Atkinson isn't trusted in a 4 and Smith is getting on.  I've also not given up on Sibbick but he's clearly down the queue.

We desperately need a physical striker, preferably quick.  There's no many of them in our price range so we might need 2 separate ones.

Pretty feeble stuff from Saints against what was an essence a Hearts reserve side. Really poor defensive display, the one bright light of our season so far. 

I didn’t see our Rangers performance but the write up of Phillips suggested he was a real find but the early evidence suggests he’s well below the standard required. 

we are in so much trouble, even if we sack Davidson the replacement manager will now be saddled with this terrible squad too. Could take years to sort the complete mess that’s been made of the team out.