Hearts v St Johnstone 28/8/22

Never mind Hearts big game tonight, what about this domestic fixture? Used to go to Tynecastle, our favourite away ground, with a sense of anticipation. Under Tommy Wright we owned the Jambos. Now that CD has sucked any enjoyment and threat from our play, we go (some don’t even do that) with zero hope and with little expectation of anything other than a (heavy) defeat. It’s as miserable as I’ve ever been following the club and I recall the dark days pre-Geoff when we were in the bottom tier.

May will come on for Bair on precisely 60 minutes.

I feared at the start of the season we’d be on zero points just now. I thought this game would be a write off and we’d be looking for something next week against St Mirren, after which it would be unthinkable Davidson would be able to stay if we were still winless.

As it happens we already have a win in the bag - but it turns out St Mirren are actually not too bad and that is going to be a very, very tough game.

Hearts are a good side - but they could well go into this after a very hard 120 minutes tonight and they’ll at least be missing Sibbick and Cochrane.

I think this is a huge game for Davidson - serve up the same dross and lose and it surely, has to, be the end.

Big game for Scotland’s third force.

Not so much for trophy-averse-in-the -last-decade, Heart of Midlothian, who will have a big European game on their minds most of this week.  The perfect time to play them ordinarily, and to get after them.  

Hearts are precisely the kind of over-hyped team of underachievers St Johnstone have enjoyed putting in their place over the past 10 years or so.     Can’t see it this weekend sadly, as we play for 0-0 and at least fulfil one side of that lowly ambition.  A long wind-assisted clearance from our keeper going out for a hearts goal kick being our only ‘shot’ at goal.

Hearts to eventually get going and stroll to a routine victory, satisfied with the points and the fact that they were never really threatened in a fixture they couldn’t be arsed with.

5 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Absolutely screaming a 1 nil St Johnstone shitfest as Hearts suffer a euro hangover

Cute . Davidsonball in full effect here. Will set up for 0-0 . Barrie McKay to score a decent goal just before the hour, Bair and May switch depending on which one started in an attempt to 'chase the game', finishes 1-0 and Davidson 'happy with the effort the boys put in' as we 'controlled the game up to the wonder strike' and now we 'just need 4 or 5 players in' to compete.

At least my saturday wont be ruined

Saints to defend well, but probably won’t leave their own half, definitely won’t have a single shot on target. Callum to be pleased with the performance. 

Copy and paste for next week. 

Ginnelly will probably score. 

Edited by PSJ.84

Reading some of the posts on this thread, and particularly the OP, you wouldn't know that the record on this fixture is Hearts 10-3 St Johnstone since 2012. Or that St Johnstone had scored 2 goals at Tynecastle in the last 6 years.

Maybe stop acting like you're Kilmarnock or something eh?

Can't wait to see what our defence is going to look like for this. No Halkett, Cochrane or Sibbick and very possibly no Smith or Kingsley either. Souttar still to be replaced.

Ideally this is a game you'd rest Shankland for but I'm not sure we can afford to with the current options.

20 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Reading some of the posts on this thread, and particularly the OP, you wouldn't know that the record on this fixture is Hearts 10-3 St Johnstone since 2012. Or that St Johnstone had scored 2 goals at Tynecastle in the last 6 years.

Maybe stop acting like you're Kilmarnock or something eh?

Perhaps my memory is failing me, certainly at home Hearts didn’t beat us for ten years? I do recall when we had a great period when we visited Edinburgh and rarely lost. Maybe I was including the other big team from there but the two teams are fairly indistinguishable.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Can't wait to see what our defence is going to look like for this. No Halkett, Cochrane or Sibbick and very possibly no Smith or Kingsley either. Souttar still to be replaced.

Ideally this is a game you'd rest Shankland for but I'm not sure we can afford to with the current options.

You don’t need a defence against Davidson. No attacking threat a couple of your youth squad couldn’t handle.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Yeah our lack of depth is a bit of a worry.

I really hope we don't throw Sibbick in given recent performances and his confidence must be at rock bottom, although it's hard to tell if confidence or ability is the real problem. 

Just now, Duffy_ said:

Yeah our lack of depth is a bit of a worry.

I really hope we don't throw Sibbick in given recent performances and his confidence must be at rock bottom, although it's hard to tell if confidence or ability is the real problem. 

We'll be in bother if we put Sibbick in

Won't be paying much attention to this - Callum has completely taken every bit of joy out of being a St Johnstone supporter.

Will be a sorry defensive display that ends in us losing and not attacking, never mind scoring.

No doubt I'll notice the score at some point on Sunday evening and my reaction will be 'meh', regardless of the result.

Davidson out!!

We know with maybe 80% certainty what Davidson is gonna do here - same back 6, likely Phillips and Hallberg, then Carey and Murphy with one of Bair or May chasing lost causes up top. But what would Saints fans want us to do if Davidson wasn’t the manager?

I’d have something like this:

Matthews
McGowan Mitchell Gordon Montgomery

Davidson Phillips
Hallberg

Wright Bair Murphy

7 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

We know with maybe 80% certainty what Davidson is gonna do here - same back 6, likely Phillips and Hallberg, then Carey and Murphy with one of Bair or May chasing lost causes up top. But what would Saints fans want us to do if Davidson wasn’t the manager?

I’d have something like this:

Matthews
McGowan Mitchell Gordon Montgomery

Davidson Phillips
Hallberg

Wright Bair Murphy

It's possible that the formation could work under a different manager. It just needs someone who is actually prepared to be positive and attack teams.