Rest in Peace Scottish football

7 minutes ago, A96 said:

You’re missing the point. 

No surprise , though as glory hunters just don’t get it

Extremely lazy to label every Celtic fan a glory hunter when essentially the other Aberdeen fan suggested your stadiums would be full if you had a better chance of winning. 

Are they out there? of course they are but that's just football and you see that down south as well

Edited by Jinky67

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Then just accept that many people find our clubs domestic success very meaningful and that too will never change.

I’ve had to accept that these people walk among us my whole life jinky. I’m very tolerant really. 

Doesn’t stop me thinking they are deeply stupid. 

3 minutes ago, kent_don said:

Apart from when Sevco were out the league and your top tier was closed. Away fans also had an extra section…

That's up to the folks who chucked their season tickets then, i didn't. I picked my 1st one up the season we almost went tits up so the glory hunting label isn't one i feel fits me. You may disagree, cool

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Extremely lazy to label every Celtic fan a glory hunter when essentially the other Aberdeen fan suggested your stadiums would be full if you had a better chance of winning. 

Not at all.  I recognise that a minoriity of their fanbase will actually have a genuine local community based affinity for Celtic.

The majority though are just taking the easy option of latching on to a successful team. 

Same goes for the other arse cheek.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve had to accept that these people walk among us my whole life jinky. I’m very tolerant really. 

Doesn’t stop me thinking they are deeply stupid. 

That's your opinion, i'm absolutely fine with that but i do take some umbrage with people telling me i shouldn't enjoy it. I enjoy it very much all of it even the absolute pumpings we take off the big boys. 

Both of us want to close gaps, just at different levels and that means we are never likely find something we agree on that doesn't involve wide scale change at Uefa level

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can't.

Genuinely. 

I think it must be shit.  I wouldn't bother with it.

Natural selection evolved a brain that rewards you with a good feeling when you win at something or come out on top. It's called Serotonin and it's been that way for millions of years. It's just biology mate and if you don't get that yours might be broken ;) 

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Natural selection evolved a brain that rewards you with a good feeling when you win at something or come out on top. It's called Serotonin and it's been that way for millions of years. It's just biology mate and if you don't get that yours might be broken ;) 

Not if the outcome is effectively pre determined. 

I could challenge my 15 month old daughter to a game of fifa, win heavily and play some football that may have the neutrals purring but I’m unlikely to get that serotonin injection you refer to. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not if the outcome is effectively pre determined. 

I could challenge my 15 month old daughter to a game of fifa, win heavily and play some football that may have the neutrals purring but I’m unlikely to get that serotonin injection you refer to. 

Difference being is that 15 month old child won't really understand what Fifa is as a concept, know how to hold the controller properly, know what buttons to press, adjust tactics and instructions appropriately, which direction to shoot, what the op skill moves are etc etc etc.

Most professional footballers do at least know how to put their boots on, know who their team mates are in what direction the net to put the ball in lies.

But i don't buy the pre-determined argument, if i did then 20/21 would have been a very very different season ;)

I was being a little facetious in my post though....just a little

Edited by Jinky67

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

But "you" are not actually winning anything, you're just a fan. Do people really derive their self worth from being a spectator for a sports team?

1 minute ago, EpicMike said:

But "you" are not actually winning anything, you're just a fan. Do people really derive their self worth from being a spectator for a sports team?

I would say yes is the answer to that for many 

Shouldn't be but is

Just now, EpicMike said:

Then why do fans lose their shit when they score a goal or win a trophy?

If Dundee win the Championship this season are you going to celebrate with some light applause and then go home to read a good book?

13 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Critical faculties have also evolved and been developed in some more than others.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Difference being is that 15 month old child won't really understand what Fifa is as a concept, know how to hold the controller properly, know what buttons to press, adjust tactics and instructions appropriately etc etc etc.

Most professional footballers do at least know how to put their boots on, know who their team mates are in what direction the net to pull the ball in lies.

But i don't buy the pre-determined argument, if i did then 20/21 would have been a very very different season ;)

It’s an extreme example but the principle is the same. 

A better one would be - beating livi 5-0, very satisfying although even that has the asterisk of a red card in the first half vs beating Stirling Albion 5-0. Satisfying as a ‘signs may be good for when we play league games’ but not any real enjoyment that we pumped them. 

It’s quite simple human nature. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Critical faculties have also evolved and been developed in some more than others.

Ignoring the facts about your neurochemical inheritance comes with some consequences such as ridiculing assertive impulses in others while denying or rationalising them in yourself and your social allies which results in sustained resentment and hostility.

Sounds familiar eh?

I've had one season of seeing my side sweep all before them with ease.

It was 2012/13, the last time we were in the tier we've again just joined, much less impressively.

We didn't lose until December and won the league in March on a snow banked pitch.  

We didn't have massive advantages over the other sides, but significant ones over all but Ayr.

I enjoyed it when we won the Challenge Cup, beating Rangers and the top 2 in the Championship en route.  

The league got bloody boring though.  I found myself greeting goals with a wee cheer and seated applause.  That's how most people greeted what felt inevitable.  

That was one season in over forty for me.  How people keep coming back for similar, I've literally no idea.  I honestly think it requires a certain emotional immaturity.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Then why do fans lose their shit when they score a goal or win a trophy?

If Dundee win the Championship this season are you going to celebrate with some light applause and then go home to read a good book?

I'd celebrate the success of the team I support, but I wouldn't treat it as a personal accomplishment.