Rest in Peace Scottish football

42 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Clearly you do since the point i quoted was you saying leagues like the Bundesliga aren’t in the same state of tedium.

So it can’t be whataboutery if it was you who referenced them in the first instance 🤣

I said they weren't in the same state and you think they are which just means we have a different opinion.  It's your argument that seems to say, 'whatabout the Germans they're just as bad' not mine.  My argument is no top league on the face of the planet is in as bad a place as the Scottish top flight. No ifs, no maybes and most definitely, no whatabouts.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Solidarity, brother ✊

In terms of what changes now both OF teams are in the Champions League...absolutely f**k all.  The enormous gap that was already between them and the rest will get bigger, but who cares anymore?  We've already seen a couple of scuddings dished out by the big two so far this season.  There'll be plenty more. 

I do wonder if the other clubs in the league will just start to fire out weaker sides when they go to Ibrox/Celtic Park.  We've seen Hearts do it already.  Those games don't really matter to our season, the chance of actually getting something is so small these days, so may as well focus on the more important games against your peers.  Every chance both Celtic and Rangers will get 95+ points and it'll be the games against each other that'll decide who wins the league.  I mean, all the best to them, but it'll get really fucking boring for everyone else very quickly I'd imagine.  

I did laugh when I noticed a Celtic fan on Twitter telling the other clubs, in order to compete a bit more against the OF, to "stop underselling their players".  I'll refer back to them the next time they cherry pick a player from another Scottish club when they hit out with the "you'll take what you're given" patter.

All the best to them in the Champions League, however.  I really hope their lack of financial muscle doesn't prevent them from competing and making a good fist of it.

Must have been wastecoatwilly's brother...

1 hour ago, ftk said:

The clubs outside the old firm need to get together and come up with a plan to change things.

That'll be the same clubs that came together in 2012 and decided they'd rather permanently play for 3rd place and an occasional cup while being subsidised by bigot money instead of opening their eyes and seeing the glorious opportunity in front of them. 

47 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

For non-footballing reasons I'd quite enjoy watching Celtic fans sing IRA songs at Stamford Bridge. Or to be more precise, what would then inevitably follow (follow). So go for it lads.

Seeing Chelsea and Celtic fans batter the hell out of each other would be entertaining. 

However, seeing Chelsea and Rangers uniting in some sort of 'festival of gravy drinkers' would not be. 

35 minutes ago, Girth said:

Seeing Chelsea and Celtic fans batter the hell out of each other would be entertaining. 

However, seeing Chelsea and Rangers uniting in some sort of 'festival of gravy drinkers' would not be. 

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

For non-footballing reasons I'd quite enjoy watching Celtic fans sing IRA songs at Stamford Bridge. Or to be more precise, what would then inevitably follow (follow). So go for it lads.

For those reasons alone it will never happen. Celtic fans peddling their IRA pish in many places in England and Rangers going to cities like Liverpool or Manchester with teams that have big Irish diaspora supports is a recipe for utter chaos.  The English attitude I came across was always leave that problem for the Scots, we want no part of it.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don’t think the tourists who follow these teams will have a clue what’s going on 

Almost all European top flight leagues are now following Scotland’s lead in having only two or three clubs hoovering up all the cash available and moving ever further away from their oppositions.

That is why I couldn’t understand the furore over the proposed European Super League. It may have gone away for now but it is inevitable. 

15 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Almost all European top flight leagues are now following Scotland’s lead in having only two or three clubs hoovering up all the cash available and moving ever further away from their oppositions.

That is why I couldn’t understand the furore over the proposed European Super League. It may have gone away for now but it is inevitable. 

Not sure why clubs would want a superleague when their support are glory hunters used to winning?  Would go the same way with 3 or 4 realistic winners and all the other clubs that are used to winning couldnt handle it. 

Just now, Hoose Rice said:

Not sure why clubs would want a superleague when their support are glory hunters used to winning?  Would go the same way with 3 or 4 realistic winners and all the other clubs that are used to winning couldnt handle it. 

I don't agree, in a super league they would put in wage structures or something that made the league competitive. There are many US owners who would look to their sporting systems for ideas. Only Man City, Newcastle and PSG would want unlimited spending and they would be outvoted. 

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I don't agree, in a super league they would put in wage structures or something that made the league competitive. There are many US owners who would look to their sporting systems for ideas. Only Man City, Newcastle and PSG would want unlimited spending and they would be outvoted. 

The other clubs would want they 3 in it.  They wouldn't agree to join if they couldn't spend what they want imo.  Money talks.

30 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

I think the European Super League would be the best outcome for all. Like a 2 tier set up, with possibly relegation back down to home divisions, giving everyone a chance at it.

But how would clubs qualify for the European Super League? Are Celtic and Rangers big enough? Because let's face it, they hardly have a great success rate in Europe. The OF trying to win anything in Europe is as successful as Dundee winning anything in Scotland. The 1 victory years ago and the odd final every 20 years, but that's it.

Would they still be allowed in the Scottish Cup?

12 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

The other clubs would want they 3 in it.  They wouldn't agree to join if they couldn't spend what they want imo.  Money talks.

Well they would get left behind, they are not the biggest historical draw anyway. A 16 team league made up of Real, Barca, Juventus, AC, Inter, Bayern, Man Utd and Liverpool etc. who may decide to put in a spending structure would not be dictated to by Man City and PSG saying we want unlimited spending.