Rest in Peace Scottish football

I take solace from the fact they'll con their gullible hordes for about £200 to watch their three home Chumpions League matches in the midst of a cost of living crisis.

They get all this money and their toilets in the 'Big Hoose' are swimming in pish...

New money and all that

I am glad Celtic will now have to share the CL TV money with Rangers as it halves what they would have received. Also means if HMFC win our tie tonight we get all of the EL TV money to ourselves, without Rangers getting a share.

Not seeing how the events of last night make things any worse than they would have been had Rangers dropped in to the EL groups. I mean it’s still shit, but it’s certainly not any worse than it would have been anyway.

I take solace from the fact they'll con their gullible hordes for about £200 to watch their three home Chumpions League matches in the midst of a cost of living crisis.
They get all this money and their toilets in the 'Big Hoose' are swimming in pish...
New money and all that

Celtic's ticket package is £129.

I say this as someone who doesn’t particularly like the old firm (although I do want them to do well in Europe, as with any Scottish team).

Other Scottish clubs always bang on about getting rid of the Scottish football but, the simple fact is, the quality within Scottish football would almost certainly diminish. This would be because there wouldn’t be as much money in the game. The sky tv deal is pretty shit but, as far as I know, it’s the best out there. I can’t imagine the same level of money is offered without the old firm.

I do agree that the old firm doing well in Europe makes the gap even bigger (the gap will never be closed due to the difference in support etc). However, them being successful in Europe has increased the co-efficient which has allowed us to have wider Scottish appearances in Europe. Motherwell made an arse of it. Dundee United came up against a half decent team but got pumped. Hearts will hopefully get through.

If the old firm go, I can’t see teams like st mirren or st johnstone suddenly seeing a large increase in their attendances.

People will argue that it will become more competitive which it may. However, what will probably happen is that there will be a new monopoly. The likes of aberdeen and hearts have much larger supports than the majority of other teams so they will just start to win most things. All of that under, what will almost certainly be, an inferior product which then leads to reduced co-efficient etc.

11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The sky tv deal is pretty shit but, as far as I know, it’s the best out there. I can’t imagine the same level of money is offered without the old firm.

You might want to compare our tv deal with other small leagues around Europe before making the assumptions that;

(a) you need an "old firm" to sign tv deals or that

(b) the money on offer would be smaller................

11 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I say this as someone who doesn’t particularly like the old firm (although I do want them to do well in Europe, as with any Scottish team).

Other Scottish clubs always bang on about getting rid of the Scottish football but, the simple fact is, the quality within Scottish football would almost certainly diminish. This would be because there wouldn’t be as much money in the game. The sky tv deal is pretty shit but, as far as I know, it’s the best out there. I can’t imagine the same level of money is offered without the old firm.

I do agree that the old firm doing well in Europe makes the gap even bigger (the gap will never be closed due to the difference in support etc). However, them being successful in Europe has increased the co-efficient which has allowed us to have wider Scottish appearances in Europe. Motherwell made an arse of it. Dundee United came up against a half decent team but got pumped. Hearts will hopefully get through.

If the old firm go, I can’t see teams like st mirren or st johnstone suddenly seeing a large increase in their attendances.

People will argue that it will become more competitive which it may. However, what will probably happen is that there will be a new monopoly. The likes of aberdeen and hearts have much larger supports than the majority of other teams so they will just start to win most things. All of that under, what will almost certainly be, an inferior product which then leads to reduced co-efficient etc.

This wouldn’t happen because Aberdeen, hearts and hibs simply aren’t as commercially attractive to sponsors, sky etc as the old firm. It’s not the fact the OF are the biggest, it’s the fact that resources are so vastly different that they’re untouchable. That’s driven by the uefa money, tv money, sponsorship deals etc that come with the OF. 

If they left, those three clubs may end up winning the most but they wouldn’t win 95% of the trophies over a 40 year period.

It wouldn’t be my first choice for the old firm to leave, I want to beat them. But I don’t see any other way. 

2 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I am glad Celtic will now have to share the CL TV money with Rangers as it halves what they would have received. Also means if HMFC win our tie tonight we get all of the EL TV money to ourselves, without Rangers getting a share.

Not seeing how the events of last night make things any worse than they would have been had Rangers dropped in to the EL groups. I mean it’s still shit, but it’s certainly not any worse than it would have been anyway.

The TV revenue isn’t what makes the Champions League lucrative for clubs like us, putting that into perspective the 3 Portuguese clubs last season took £600k each from their split. The lions share of the cash goes to the big league clubs and the split also isn’t equal it’s reported to be  55-45 in our favour 

We also get more of the co-efficient cash than Rangers to the tune of around 7 million so we will still walk out of the Champions League with around £33 million to around Rangers £25 million (estimated figures of course) It then comes down to results, who qualifies or parachutes into the Europa

So yeah Rangers being in the CL does nothing to really hinder our earnings. 

Edited by Jinky67

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Something has to change and change now. To all intents and purposes we no longer have a top flight league in any meaningful sense of the word. Is that acceptable for the sake of a couple more coefficient points ? Hearts and Aberdeen becoming a new monopoly/duopoly ? Unlikely and certainly no where near the hegemony the Old Firm have subjected us to. There aren't any easy answers but the starting point is clearer than it's ever been.....kick the secterian Old Firm out of Scottish football.  !!!!