GERS Day 2022

The_Kincardine

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, does your passport say "United Kingdom of Great United Kingdom & Northern Ireland" or "Britain of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"?

Like some US visitors, do you also consider "England" to be synonymous with "Britain"& "UK"?

My passport says ‘United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland’

No, I see England as being part of Britain/UK, same as Scotland is.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

Hopefully to get back on topic, I believe that the GERS figures are a picture of how Scotland is performing whilst being part of the Union.  They would not be accurate for an Independent Scotland.  Craig Dalzell of the Common Weal explains things better. 

This isn’t to say that Scotland can do nothing here. First and foremost, we need our independence so that we can properly restructure our economy into something that actually benefits both us and the planet. Before then, we need to do more to make our society bearable in the face of the UK’s economic failures. If I could have the ear of the Scottish Government now I’d call for a few policies to be enacted immediately. First, we need to fix the housing sector. An emergency rent freeze which would later give way to rent controls and tenants rights and a massive acceleration in the programme to retrofit houses. Every house we bring up to passive energy standards is a house that frees its occupant from fuel poverty permanently.

https://commonweal.scot/analysis-gers-2021-22/

On 25/08/2022 at 17:57, Duries Air Freshener said:

I know Ulster is the 9 counties, but many people refer to NI as Ulster on it’s own, hence UTV.

You can get UTV in Donegal though (I'm assuming this as we used to get it from Ayrshire).

9 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You’ve mistaken Great Britain for Britain.

Nope. You're just an idiot.

The "great" in Britain refers to size and size alone. There's a weeee bit of debate about whether it refers to Britain being the largest of the British Isles (in a similar way to the largest of the Cayman Islands being called Grand Cayman, etc.) or if it refers to it being bigger than the other Brythonic area of Europe: Brittany. The Gaelic for Brittany, for instance, still refers to it as "Little Britain". 

Happy to help

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

54 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Fucking hell. The idiot's showing himself up again

File:British Isles Venn Diagram-en (3).png - Wikimedia Commons

Hopefully the pretty colours will help it sink in for him this time

I can only think he's American or he would know this stuff from primary school. 

39 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The "great" in Britain refers to size and size alone. There's a weeee bit of debate about whether it refers to Britain being the largest of the British Isles (in a similar way to the largest of the Cayman Islands being called Grand Cayman, etc.) or if it refers to it being bigger than the other Brythonic area of Europe: Brittany. The Gaelic for Brittany, for instance, still refers to it as "Little Britain". 

Happy to help

All that does is back up my point.

It certainly doesn’t indicate that the UK isn’t the same as Britain, which is the premise of your argument.

'Great Britain & Northern Ireland' being on the passport indicates a difference between GB and NI, which the diagram confirms, but Great Britain is not the same as Britain.

Not saying this to wind you up btw, but you should look at Div’s sticky and Tynie’s update.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

Isn't it strange that so many Unionists are confused about the various descriptions currently in use to describe geographical entities within the British Isles?

The term 'Britain' derives from 'Britannia', the Roman name for the areas conquered by the Romans. Either Hadrians or Antonines Wall may be considered to be the limit of the Roman empire, but whichever definition is used, Britain does not include any of Ireland or most (or any) of Scotland.

In simple terms that even Unionists can understand, 'Britain' is roughly equal to E&W, whilst Great Britain is equal to E,S&W

As DAF says, Britain is not the same as Great Britain. It's significantly smaller.

TL:DR

More Unionist misinformation tonight!

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

...but Great Britain is not the same as Britain

It is. You're just very stupid.

40 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The term 'Britain' derives from 'Britannia', the Roman name for the areas conquered by the Romans. Either Hadrians or Antonines Wall may be considered to be the limit of the Roman empire, but whichever definition is used, Britain does not include any of Ireland or most (or any) of Scotland.

In simple terms that even Unionists can understand, 'Britain' is roughly equal to E&W, whilst Great Britain is equal to E,S&W

As DAF says, Britain is not the same as Great Britain. It's significantly smaller.

TL:DR

More Unionist misinformation tonight!

This is also, sadly, incorrect. Britannia was the original name the Romand gave the island. When they named the province they had control over of they used the island name. Similar to Luxembourg being the name of the city and the state I guess. Same name for two places with one within the other.

Also ignores the original name of Britain from the p-Celtic. Britannia wasn't made up from thin air. It was the latin transliteration of the name of the locals. (Although that doesn't mean the original Celtic name referred to the whole island. It probably didn't.)

If we were going to argue that Britain refers to E&W as it was what the Roman's called their territory it should include Brittany as it was named Brittania as well (Brittania Amorica... spelling might be off)

Britain is just a shortening of Great Britain. If it had any other meaning it would be the British Isles + Brittany 

This is also, sadly, incorrect. Britannia was the original name the Romand gave the island. When they named the province they had control over of they used the island name. Similar to Luxembourg being the name of the city and the state I guess. Same name for two places with one within the other.
Also ignores the original name of Britain from the p-Celtic. Britannia wasn't made up from thin air. It was the latin transliteration of the name of the locals. (Although that doesn't mean the original Celtic name referred to the whole island. It probably didn't.)
If we were going to argue that Britain refers to E&W as it was what the Roman's called their territory it should include Brittany as it was named Brittania as well (Brittania Amorica... spelling might be off)
Britain is just a shortening of Great Britain. If it had any other meaning it would be the British Isles + Brittany 
Brittania came from the Greek "Prettanikē nēsos" - with the inhabitants called Prettanoi - this came from the Celtic
Pretani meaning "the painted ones" or "the tattooed folk", referring to their body decoration.

After the Anglo-Saxon period, Britain was used as a historical term only - for example, in Historia Regum Britanniae, Geoffrey of Monmouth's pseudohistory, he referred to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany. It was only in 1474 that the term Great Britain was officially used for the document that proposed the marriage of the future James IV to Cecily, Edward IV's daughter - "this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee"

19 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It is. You're just very stupid.

Yeah, I can agree that Roman Britain included French Brittany. 

However, we can all agree that DAF's contention that "Britain" = "UK" is absolute nonsense, can't we?

Edited by lichtgilphead
speelng

48 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Sorry to say, lads, but you’re still incorrect.

It’s sad to see you resort to tales of Roman times - we’ve moved on since then.

The people of Northern Ireland are British, obvious by the fact that they are British citizens, and NI is, therefore, part of Britain.

UK citizens.

And that's my final word on the subject because it's slightly tedious. I don't know how you can be bothered with it.

Fantastic to see that a thread started preemptively in anticipation of a worsening in the pseudo finances of Scotland has had to be rail roaded due to that not happening in a pathetic but understandable deflection. Oh and please, please, please STOP quoting the bots and sock puppets as it's making the ignore function almost useless and by engaging these total trolls are now branching out into other forums thus starting to achieve their goal to basically render these forums useless. How anyone can engage with these accounts now is beyond me. They are beyond tedious and so disingenuous it's an affront to these boards. This sub forum is no longer viable with this level of trolling but I suspect that is mission accomplished for them.

14 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Fucking hell. The idiot's showing himself up again

File:British Isles Venn Diagram-en (3).png - Wikimedia Commons

Hopefully the pretty colours will help it sink in for him this time

No need for the abuse. Durie is far from being an idiot.

Read Div's sticky updated by Tynie. 

14 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Happy to help

And again. When are you going to stop the abuse?