GERS Day 2022

The_Kincardine

According to this, Income Tax and National Insurance are the main sources of public sector income and 'social protection' is the biggest expense. For me the next argument for Independence needs to make the case for how being a proper country will shape the economy to our interests and eventually create a more advanced, higher wage economy. It's not the most simple argument to make but we (Scotland and the UK as a whole) are surrounded by countries whose people are earning more money each month and have healthier national economies to show for it.

We have something like a 3% unemployment rate and a shan pension system so that high spend on social protection isn't us sitting around in hammocks enjoying the glorious union dividend. It's evidence of an economy that lots of people don't get a fair shake out of; and whose employers are subsidised by the state. And to be fair, in terms of that sounding like a simple blame exercise aimed elsewhere, our government need to be more sophisticated in planning and articulating how that's ever going to change.

Lower down the spending list also offers various areas for improvement - some on us and some structural. We're apparently responsible for £4bn in defence spending, four times more than Ireland and proportionally way more than a bunch of small European countries. On the other hand, we could surely be a healthier country which would reduce public spending in various areas. Obviously GERS isn't an account of an Independent Scotland's finances in the first place but even the picture is does provide isn't as insurmountably scary as I think some want it to be. 

Edited by Patrick Noubissie

55 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm afraid it doesn't, not for this pedant, it was actually an episode of Question Time.

How he slipped through the vetting process, we'll never know.

I;m aware it was an episode of Question Time (I was viewing at the time) and unless I'm very much mistaken...it was QT from Inverness.

2 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I;m aware it was an episode of Question Time (I was viewing at the time) and unless I'm very much mistaken...it was QT from Inverness.

Yes, we both know that.

The purpose of my post was to have a pop at the BBC.

Anyway, gers day has slipped gently into gers evening and I'm hoping for some night time leedvermaak 

47 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

I feel your chilly pain. I have kith and kin in Australia and Canada which, im sad to say, are foreign now. God save their souls. 

Foreign you say? Not as foreign as the Germanic root of kith and kin. Mind you, DAFt is a Royalist (at a guess) so he's probably quite happy with that.

5 hours ago, Fletcher23 said:

Hopefully I will not find out in my lifetime what Scotland would be like not being part of the Union. 

The thought actually gives me the fear. 

Probably a bit like UK being out of EU.

Except it will be a chance for opportunity that Westminster denies us

England have been holding us back for decades. After all we are only country in the world to discover oil and become poorer as a result. Where did all those petro-dollars go???

Cant you see your beloved Tories are killing the union on there own, and they are playing a blinder.

Union means nothing to me.

4 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Same here, Fletch.

The idea of separating us from our kith and kin in England, Wales and NI is horrific.  It sends a chill up my spine.

Horrific really??

Tories have already separated us from Europe, how you getting on with that one?

Terminal?

Change happens every day, time you adapted and get used to it 

Tories will deliver Independence. It is the irony that will beat all ironies.

I for one, cannot wait. 

4 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Horrific really??

Tories have already separated us from Europe, how you getting on with that one?

Terminal?

Change happens every day, time you adapted and get used to it 

Tories will deliver Independence. It is the irony that will beat all ironies.

I for one, cannot wait. 

I'm very comfortable with our exit from the EU.  Europeans are not our kith and kin.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

37 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I'm very comfortable with our exit from the EU.  Europeans are not our kith and kin.

Send the Anglo Saxons back where they came from! And the Normans! The Huguenots can stay, they're a bit handy. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I was recently given advice from an unlikely source to not react to trolling, and I am now taking  that advice.

It really improves the posting experience.

However, if anyone has anything sensible to say, then go ahead.

You're a multi banned trolling bawsack who's so thick that you gargle wallpaper paste because the packet tells you to mix with water.

12 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Probably a bit like UK being out of EU.

Except it will be a chance for opportunity that Westminster denies us

England have been holding us back for decades. After all we are only country in the world to discover oil and become poorer as a result. Where did all those petro-dollars go???

Cant you see your beloved Tories are killing the union on there own, and they are playing a blinder.

Union means nothing to me.

My beloved Tories? Where have I said that I love the Tories Father Ted? 

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

You're a multi banned trolling bawsack who's so thick that you gargle wallpaper paste because the packet tells you to mix with water.

More abusive posting. ☹️

Scottish nationalists just cannot help themselves. Why do they keep doing it?