Alloa v Peterhead 27/8

8th v 9th as we welcome Peterhead to the Recs, hoping for a much improved performance compared to our last home game. 

Rice said in his post Airdrie interview that he hoped to have another signing in this week so interested to see if that happens.

Think it'll be a 2-1 home win. According to FotMob, we've not kept a clean sheet in 11 games and Peterhead haven't kept a clean sheet in 9.

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Started last Monday. Why can't you complete the purchase?

Finally got there this morning, although i had an account from last time found it more complicated than most, by the time i got the checkout i had applied for 4 tickets for myself so had to go back and adjust. Hopefully the game is more straightforward. See you Saturday.

Big game here that both sides will see as a real chance to get a win and try to kick-start their season. I think the only really disappointing Alloa display so far was Edinburgh and I'd agree with the general consensus that it's way too early to be panicking. However, certainly would be a little worrying if we're sitting tomorrow night with 4 defeats from 5 games and some potentially tough games to come before the end of the first quarter. We could really do with getting the 3 points. 

I'm not too bothered if we go with a back 4 or the 3 centre defenders, I'd just like the manager to settle on a shape and give it a few weeks. I enjoyed the podcast again and thought they made a good case for Cammy to come in too. If that happens I'd drop King who still isn't contributing anywhere near enough. And tempting as it is to start Rodden given the lack of threat, do feel that at this stage he is better suited as impact sub. A bit like Martin Cameron when he first came to Alloa, a real threat off the bench in the second half but pretty raw to be starting. 

1 hour ago, bluetoonscotty said:

We are doon

On that display its a cert , We wont get an easier game than that all season

Nice to see Rankine  (whoever he is ) score 

Hard to say if we are improving such was the ease of the result .

Liked the energy we had today. Rodden up front adds an extra out ball for us too. We done to Peterhead what Edinburgh done to us, not giving them any time on the ball.

Church and O'Donnell looked good together on the left, but they didn't have much work to do defensively. 

Glad Hogarth got a clean sheet but can't remember him having a save to make?

Good performances across the pitch today and the clean sheet was a nice bonus, although Peterhead probably should have scored near the end. 

Couple of well worked goals in the first half, and thought we looked much more dangerous going forward than we have at any point this season. 

Must have been grim viewing from a Peterhead point of view, some drop off from the side that beat us twice last year. 

That's the most I've ever seen us score - somehow I always miss games like 6-0 v Brechin and 8-1 v Elgin.

Peterhead have every right to be worried after that - a real mismatch, almost as much as the thumping that the U20s handed out last night. O'Donnell was irresistible and it could easily have been a heavier defeat; some very simple goals in there. I'm inclined to think that it was more down to a very poor performance from the away team, no matter how well we played, but let's hope they can produce similar performances in the upcoming games.

As convincing and as pleasing an afternoon as we could’ve wished for. Totally flawless.

Starting at the back, who were rarely troubled, nice to see Hogarth get his first clean sheet. Graham was superb stepping in last minute. Head like a magnet! Stanger got his well deserved goal too.

Midfield was where I took most pleasure from. O’Donnell was absolutely magnificent. I’ve never been quite on the hype train but today he was playing with so much enjoyment and his deliveries answered my question of getting numbers. The manager said he is a confidence player, I hope today he can kick on and cement himself. He’s wasted on the wing as a full back, totally controlled the midfield. Robbo looked back to his old self too and relished the battle.

Going forward we were good too. Rodden busy and rewarded with his goal. Sammon playing with a lot of confidence too and scoring freely. I know we need another up there but it makes a difference knowing Sammon is on the goal trail. Delighted for him. The front line linked up and the through balls and assists were as good as the finishes. 

Can’t not mention Luke Rankin. A fairytale story. Hat-trick for the u20’s last night, senior debut and first goal today. He’ll be absolutely buzzing.

We can’t get carried away with that, I know we won’t. That is one of the worst League 1 sides I have ever seen. McInally post match comments, which I’m unsure will be printed, were very damning. They will struggle to pick up points this season. Too much change, not enough quality. The big new boy up top Cristiano looks like he’s got his work cut out, not sure he showed today he is up to it. They look so young and inexperienced, it’s a shame. Can’t see them finishing anything other than rock bottom. 

However, for us, it’s brought us right back into the pack. Spoke to some of the players before the game today and they said a win today and a win up at Clyde totally changes the mindset on the opening of the season. Still a long way from that but he was right. Two of the hardest away games in Dunfermline and Airdrie, and a freak game against Edinburgh. Let’s hope this is the confidence booster we needed going into some tricky away games next few weeks. No doubt we will have some new chances to help us in that too.

13 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Can’t not mention Luke Rankin. A fairytale story. Hat-trick for the u20’s last night, senior debut and first goal today. He’ll be absolutely buzzing.

As soon as it was announced who he was, I had flashbacks to Scott Hynd and figured it was inevitable what was about to happen  :lol:

The U20s were superb last night, BTW. Glad I caught the stream on YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Must finally be the end for McNally? They don't seem to even be competitive and he seems utterly fed up with it all.

I think they don't mind being the Yoyo team of the 2nd and   1st divs but Macinally is in with the bricks at  Balmoor .

3 hours ago, Rory said:

Glad Hogarth got a clean sheet but can't remember him having a save to make?

Someone in the crowd (poor attendance  BTW ) said that Brian Rice got more touches on the ball today than Hogarth , Could be right .

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Must finally be the end for McNally? They don't seem to even be competitive and he seems utterly fed up with it all.

I don't see how any manager can improve this situation tbh. They can't recruit anyone up there and are leaning incredibly heavily on the loan market to make up numbers. I think it is going to be a very painful season for Peterhead unfortunately.

Even the loans they got from us this season were a sizeable downgrade on the one's they got last year. Not that they might not go on to have decent careers, but they are much further down the development scale than the likes of Mulligan and that were.

I felt for McInally during the pre-season game. It's clear this has been the toughest season for almost all Scottish clubs to get players in and the circumstances at Peterhead and a decent core leaving has really left them up shit creak.

Can't see McInally lasting the season and it's only slightly his fault IMO. Real lack of options.

A remarkably straightforward win which was pretty much in the bag from the very first minute.

Peterhead were beyond hopeless, and I really felt for the travelling support today. They deserved more than the half-hearted shite their team served up for them.

Among our many positives, the much maligned Church had a good game, and I liked the corners O'Donnell was putting in. Much better set piece deliveries than Scougall's imo (although Scougall is still missed in general play).