St Mirren v Hibs 27/08/22

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Have a Charles for comparing Hibs to the Giants 😂

I noticed that as well, I almost chocked.

Note to self: Don't t read Hibby posts when eating dinner. 

That was enjoyable. Should have won by more, but missed some great chances through Baccus , Main and Brophy. 3 wouldn't have flattered us on the counter. 

If Porteous would be a better player if he concentrated on the football instead of trying all the antics and wind ups. 

Youan should have been off, very lucky to escape a 2nd yellow and no surprise Hibs subbed him immediately. Ref let him away with one. 

21 minutes ago, btb said:

Scored from what must've been our first decent bit of possession and Hibs were by far the better team in the first 45 - happy to go in at H/T ahead.

Second half Hibs still had the bulk of possession but I felt the longer the game went on the less likely they looked like scoring and their confidence ebbed away and as so often happens we had better chances on the break - shoulda really had a second.

Youan shoulda had a red card as everyone in the ground knew and him being subbed 60 seconds after his verbal warning confirms this.

31% of possession and just 2 shots on target - delighted to take them thar 3 points.

Don't think either of those comments are particularly fair. 

2 shots on target was defintely down to poor/unlucky finishing. 

We hit the inside of the post and spurned 4 clear cut one on ones wide or high. 2 shots on target does not reflect the quality we had on the counter or our ability to get in behind.

I also disagree that Hibs were the better side in the first, much less 'by far'. We had them pinned in their own third for long spells in the first half. They had more pressure in the second and probably should have got back level but last 15-20 we looked like scoring every time we broke forward.

I stuck a couple of quid on us winning, Main scoring and my 80-1 acca was only pumped by Bristol City conceding in the 90th minute from Blackpool.  

There is a feel good factor in and about St Mirren.  I hear that we've not won 3 games in the top league for 14 years.  Playing the Fermers next week, so could be 4 with 4 clean sheets.  Or, we could be pumped.  That's the gamble... 

Hibs fans sounding fairly despondent.

I stuck a couple of quid on us winning, Main scoring and my 80-1 acca was only pumped by Bristol City conceding in the 90th minute from Blackpool.  

There is a feel good factor in and about St Mirren.  I hear that we've not won 3 games in the top league for 14 years.  Playing the Fermers next week, so could be 4 with 4 clean sheets.  Or, we could be pumped.  That's the gamble... 

Main didn't score so B Titty didn't pump you.

I have to say, Lee Johnson has been excellent entertainment so far.

Those trainers he was wearing today man. Shocking dress sense and I hope the SPFL launches an investigation tbh.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't think either of those comments are particularly fair. 

2 shots on target was defintely down to poor/unlucky finishing. 

We hit the inside of the post and spurned 4 clear cut one on ones wide or high. 2 shots on target does not reflect the quality we had on the counter or our ability to get in behind.

I also disagree that Hibs were the better side in the first, much less 'by far'. We had them pinned in their own third for long spells in the first half. They had more pressure in the second and probably should have got back level but last 15-20 we looked like scoring every time we broke forward.

Fair enough on your first half opinion but the 31% Possession and 2 shots on target is on the BBC match report (it was also my impression) so I don't see how that can be unfair.

Like I said I felt Hibs self-belief waned as the game progressed and by 65-70 mins they were playing like they knew it wasn't gonna be their day and again like I said we shoulda from at least one of our breaks.

At least we're both happy with the 3 points.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Fair enough on your first half opinion but the 31% Possession and 2 shots on target is on the BBC match report (it was also my impression) so I don't see how that can be unfair.

The same BBC that said that was Saints first home win v Hibs in 8 years?

Just now, Munoz said:

He was wrong though- Wilson was a legend. 

Of course. A real man of genuine principles. Just reminds me of that scene.

”yes, I know I am.”

GIF by Barbie_Elektrix

“Hibs, Hibs are falling apart - again… “ 🎶

24 minutes ago, btb said:

Like I said I felt Hibs self-belief waned as the game progressed and by 65-70 mins they were playing like they knew it wasn't gonna be their day and again like I said we shoulda from at least one of our breaks.

At least we're both happy with the 3 points.

The 2 shots on target part doesn't quite cover our dominance in front of goal in terms of chances created.

Main, Brophy x 2, Baccus x 2 all had gilt-edged chances that whilst no on target, absolutely should have been. There were also at least 2 further instances where Ayunga and Brophy should have pulled the trigger a lot quicker than they did. This was all in the 2nd half alone.

I guess I'm saying 'not fair' as a one goal win with only 2 shots at goal makes it sound like a Goodwin-era performance where we tripped and muddled our way into making chances then clung to our lead for dear life. That wasn't the case today, anything but! A lack of composure was really the only thing stopping us grabbing more goals and getting a lot more shots on target.

Edited by djchapsticks

Did we not win 3 league games in a row last season?

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
51 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Did we not win 3 league games in a row last season?

No...2 in a row, the draw with Motherwell and then another 2 in a row. Has Saints not conceded that stoppage time equaliser v Well it would have been 5 in a row.

When Craig Dargo scored the last ever goal at Love St to beat HA 1-0 that was a 4th league win in a row.

57 minutes ago, btb said:

I didn't see the game, so it's not a specific comment on this match, but I'm still amazed to see people using stats like possession and shots to try and prove a team dominated/were played off the park. It's just not how football works.

Plenty of teams these days don't want to dominate possession. It's not their gameplan. And shots on target mean absolutely nothing in terms of dominance. You could put four open goals from 2 yards over the bar while your opponents have four tricklers through to the keeper from forty yards and 'win' 4-0 on shots on target. And some teams are more reluctant to shoot in order to play into better positions.

Is it news these days that a team can be in total control of a game without shots and possession?

Amazes me people still do this.

Edited by VincentGuerin