St Mirren v Hibs 27/08/22

I'm getting big danger signs here, mainly because I'm feeling somewhat confident. 

What Saturday showed is that we are, on our day, a sometimes ruthless counterattacking side. Hibs will play on the front foot so that could suit us. Obviously we saw against Motherwell, reduced to 10 men, that we struggled somewhat against a team holding a lead.

I think this could be a good game. Hibs marginal favourites IMO but we have some absolute monster players now from back to front. 

Sneaky 2-1 home win. Main and O'Hara for us, 2x Ayunga assists.

Interested to see how this one plays out.

St Mirren supporter I know reckoned they were the new coming of Holland 1970 (74 obvs) after they err... lost at home to Motherwell, but that's two very good results recently, and win here makes them start to look suspiciously competent.

Hibs are hard to call just now. They're on five points, but they're very fine lines away from having one point. Goals scored in injury time are as good as goals scored any other time, but they've had a fair wind so far this season with some of the decisions against St Johnstone and the Rangers red card. Some teams use that kind of thing as a springboard, and three points here suddenly makes it a very good start for Hibs.

This an Aberdeen - Livi are the two most interesting Premiership games this weekend, I'd say.

Edited by VincentGuerin

21 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Saints are on the back of 2 wins and 2 clean sheets while Hibs appear to have signed well for a mid table team, Ayunga and Main machine will prevail and Porto will see red. 

2-0

Lot of Porto red card predictions these days, but so few red cards in reality. Disappointing to see it from a fellow St Mirnian supporter though. Wouldn't get it from a Hidee supporter, that's for sure. 

Very unusual for us, as with many teams, but most of our new signings look very good and have strengthened the squad no end. The two Australians have easily adapted and are improving every game after some fitness issues. Baccus in particular is a ball winner with a great motor - runs non-stop for the 90 mins chasing down everything. Strain is a great asset at wing back. Both hoping to be in the Aussie World Cup Squad. However Ayunga is the icing on the cake. Big, strong, holds the ball up well and runs at people on his mazy attacks. And Main (I know, I laughed as well) is a totally different player under Robinson. Last season, like many Buddies, I wanted Main punted.

Added to that are two more Internationalists in Gallagher and Carson. The squad looks stronger than it has been in years with loads of options on the bench now instead of the bench full of Academy players last year.

Game will be too early for Gogic, and last season he would be second name of the team sheet after Ronan, and even when he is fit may not be an automatic choice.

Looking good for us but Hibs with Boyle will be a tough test. It is about time we had some Home wins as our home form over the last couple of seasons has been tragic.

27 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Interested to see how this one plays out.

St Mirren supporter I know reckoned they were the new coming of Holland 1970 after they err... lost at home to Motherwell, but that's two very good results recently, and win here makes them start to look suspiciously competent

We failed badly in the League Cup to lower league opposition, then toiled in the opening games of the league. Your friend is clearly "off his nut" if he thought we were in some way good.

Edited by Ric

20 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Lot of Porto red card predictions these days, but so few red cards in reality. Disappointing to see it from a fellow St Mirnian supporter though. Wouldn't get it from a Hidee supporter, that's for sure.

Porteous is an angry young man who clearly can't accept when things aren't going his way. If we can sneak a goal ahead, that's all it'll take for him to earn a yellow, with luck a red.

He's a decent talent, but a total liability and I hope we take advantage of that.

As has been said by many others, we are about 2 players away from being a good team.

Boyle, Cabraja, Marshall and Youan were signed in the summer and it could be argued that they are our 4 best players, players who were utterly shite last year (Bushiri, Campbell) are looking like they may have something, supplemented with the few brighter lights from last season (Cadden, Porteous).

I’m really looking forward to this one, we actually have a good record in the good town of Paisley, St Mirren haven’t beat us there in a top flight match since 2014 with us winning 6 of our last 7 games there so I would say I’m fairly confident that will continue.

This will actually be my first away trip in the league since March (Tynecastle doesn’t count as an away trip), I didn’t bother going to away games in the bottom six and we’ve not really had any decent trips with decent kick off times recently at all, do enjoy a trip to Paisley and The Bankhouse so this one should be a good day out regardless of result.

I’ve spent ages trying to pick a team and I can only manage 10 players without picking someone that’s shite and I don’t want to move Henderson to playing out wide but we really don’t have anyone to play left wing unless we play Youan there but that then means we need to play Doidge which I don’t want to do.

St Mirren        1-2          Hibernian

Shaughnessy for St Mirren because he always fucking scores against us, Elie Youan and Martin Boyle to score for Hibs.

Should be a great game both teams having positive results last weekend so expecting a decent following through from the Hibees, but guys put your rubbish in the bins provided don't be bringing any bad habits from home,,,

Remember the slogan Keep Paisley Tidy :rolleyes: 

P.S

May even give our friends from Auld Reekie access to the family stand for any over spill  :lol: 

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

Porteous is an angry young man who clearly can't accept when things aren't going his way. If we can sneak a goal ahead, that's all it'll take for him to earn a yellow, with luck a red.

He's a decent talent, but a total liability and I hope we take advantage of that.

We have been down in the derby, down at Livi twice and down to the stickies twice and not at any time has he looked to be in danger of being sent off.

Apart from that you have a point.

1 minute ago, Hoose Rice said:

We have been down in the derby, down at Livi twice and down to the stickies twice and not at any time has he looked to be in danger of being sent off.

Apart from that you have a point.

Baccus hasn’t booted him though. Yet.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

He had 2 red cards last year, both against our rivals for second place, and both unfairly doled out by black-clad members of the establishment. 

What seems to be missing from your assessment is the fact that he is STATISTICALLY one of the best defenders in the league. STATISTICALLY. 

He's hardly going to damage his STATISTICS by being wound up by the spirited-yet-inferior members our feeder club, is he Richard? 

Having said that, there's no reason that our other players will come through the game unblemished. My prediction's a score draw, 2-2, equating to a fine victory for the St Mirnian collaborative. 

Edited by The Other Foot

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

He's hardly going to damage his STATISTICS by being wound up by the spirited-yet-inferior members our feeder club, is he Richard?

:lol:

Glorious.

After that he's a certainty to get booked if not red carded now.

It seems my other comment offended some poor wee soul, my opinion remains the same and people will know why.