FC Edinburgh Athletics Club vs Clyde

2 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

The BBC timeline has Olly McDonald's close range miss at 75 minutes. Maybe they thought the Edinburgh player deflected it over? Though I don't remember McDonald claiming for a corner.

That may be it. Unfortunately for us, that definitely wasn’t a corner! Between Lyons, Cameron and McDonald we passed up three glorious chances. That’s not even counting Mutch’s saves from Sula’s header, McDonald’s shot and Scullion’s cross/shot, or Cunningham’s free kick and second half chance that went narrowly wide. One of those days.

Even being nowhere our best, given the chances created and spurned we could have got something from that. The first goal was symptomatic of our issues that continued throughout. The second I couldn't actually see if there was any real closing down of the shot.

Last week we were beaten by the better team, today I don't think Edinburgh were better. We were the masters of our own downfall IMO.

I'll be honest, I wasn't overly bothered about the view when the game started. No metal poles in the way like Alloa, side of the pitch unlike Falkirk. could see the whole pitch unlike Cove last season. Clearly charging the Falkirk/Dunfermline fans £18 to stand round the outside is disgraceful.

Allan is a strange one. For me, he's our only actual centre forward. If we partner him with Cunningham then I reckon one of them will net a goal every weekend. That said, we're not the first team in his career to stick him on the bench to the surprise of supporters; there's maybe something there that we miss out on; the opposite of Scott McLaughlin. It's also bizarre that Olly McDonald, who was dreadful in his stint on the pitch today, has started three games for Clyde, with three wins, and then ended up on the bench in each of the following matches.

I see why we're playing a back three as we've got a comparatively decent set of centre halves but without the wing-backs it just doesn't work. Apart from Goodwillie's goal at Cowdenbeath in the cup, I don't think Lyon has found a team-mate with a cross in his Clyde career. His attempt on goal in the first half was pathetic. Hendji on the other side is the most nothing player I've ever seen; his only positive is being better than Rodden. We need to get back to a back four at least until Cuddihy and Kennedy can return.

Thicot looks a good player. There's plenty of other decent players in that squad. Team selection has to be right though and we can't be complacent about trying to fix the weaknesses that we do have.

Today we probably should have won (you could add all our defeats from last season together and probably not equal the chances we had today) but we need to be better all over the pitch. Can't give away those goals (the second was well taken) and can't fail to work the goalkeeper with those chances. Next week is probably a season defining game in all honesty.

Hard to know what to make of Edinburgh really. Definitely better at the top end of the pitch than at the back. A couple of really good players for this level and they've taken care of Alloa, Kelty and ourselves and are still to get the three banker points against Peterhead. I can see those fixtures being their main source of points, whilst they'll not take many against the top sides.

2 hours ago, David W said:

I see why we're playing a back three as we've got a comparatively decent set of centre halves but without the wing-backs

I wish I shared your confidence in that. We've lost 4 goals in the last 2 and in the 1st half v Kelty, our central defence didn't look at all decent.

I was also disappointed, if I'm honest, with our reporter feeding DL a line about the great support.  If DL needs to pad out the 3 mins, he'll find a way.  Why not ask about loans, returning players from injury or wild substitutions? 

Edited by Bully Wee Clyde FC
Typo

Grant was the worst player in that pitch today by a country like. Just because he singed from Queen’s Park doesn’t mean he’s the b all and end all. He’s been poor for the last few weeks. Bench him next week and start thicot who looks very good the minutes he played today. 

Highlights as I hadn't seen them posted elsewhere. Doesn't include our best chance of the first half with Ross Lyon's scuffed effort but it really is criminal how we haven't scored at least one there. Possible nudge on Peter Grant for the first goal (that I missed at the time) but Parry and Grant both need to do better there. Decent wee highlights package too.

21 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Highlights as I hadn't seen them posted elsewhere. Doesn't include our best chance of the first half with Ross Lyon's scuffed effort but it really is criminal how we haven't scored at least one there. Possible nudge on Peter Grant for the first goal (that I missed at the time) but Parry and Grant both need to do better there. Decent wee highlights package too.

Nudge on Peter grant by parry mate hope this helps.