Newtongrange Star 2022/23

To be fair to Urban123 a lot of what he is saying is true. The current squad is arguably the worst I have seen in my 56 years of watching them. The decline in the club in the last 10/15 years is staggering, yes we had a spell when Windy was in charge where we challenged but that's all it was, a 2/3 year spell. We don't play with any confidence or freedom, I have no idea what formation they play at times and it's eye bleeding stuff. We let the young lad Dougall go and he's now lowland league with Gala, Ryan Turner has been jettisoned to Arniston, Waugh is in and out, young Logan Imrie played 45 mins Vs Dunipace and was dropped to the bench for it alongside Ryan. Unfortunately I don't think we will be challenging this season unless drastic changes are made. 

As for comments about the facilities well that's nonsense as they are the envy of most of not all the club's in East Region 

Be on The Star

16 minutes ago, Starboy1 said:

To be fair to Urban123 a lot of what he is saying is true. The current squad is arguably the worst I have seen in my 56 years of watching them. The decline in the club in the last 10/15 years is staggering, yes we had a spell when Windy was in charge where we challenged but that's all it was, a 2/3 year spell. We don't play with any confidence or freedom, I have no idea what formation they play at times and it's eye bleeding stuff. We let the young lad Dougall go and he's now lowland league with Gala, Ryan Turner has been jettisoned to Arniston, Waugh is in and out, young Logan Imrie played 45 mins Vs Dunipace and was dropped to the bench for it alongside Ryan. Unfortunately I don't think we will be challenging this season unless drastic changes are made. 

As for comments about the facilities well that's nonsense as they are the envy of most of not all the club's in East Region 

Be on The Star

Another worry is the crowds, other than the usual battle hardened fans in the stands it's dwindling at an alarming rate. Take away Davie, Scott Dorans, Joe Wilson, Iain and what do we have left? 

Kingy was a magnificent player, up their with Tony O'Hara, John Hislop, Rab Prentice and Walter Kidd, one I had extremely high hopes of seeing play attacking free flowing football but it's not panned out the way. That unfortunately is contributing to the crowds or should I say lack of. Saturday is a good game to kick-start the season though in a great competition for our boys 

Be on The Star

No half decent semi profession or highly rated young player would consider singing for Nitten ahead of the likes of Tranent, Musselburgh, Penicuik or Bonnyrigg, for example, as these clubs are now are streets ahead of Nitten in every footballing department. They have also been caught up and overtaken by clubs like Haddington who are on the up and play a proactive part in their towns, with thriving youth set ups, improving facilities and increasing crowds. This is a club in long term decline, there are many examples of once great clubs kicking about the lower leagues, or worse

On 24/08/2022 at 23:54, Urban123 said:

No half decent semi profession or highly rated young player would consider singing for Nitten ahead of the likes of Tranent, Musselburgh, Penicuik or Bonnyrigg, for example, as these clubs are now are streets ahead of Nitten in every footballing department. They have also been caught up and overtaken by clubs like Haddington who are on the up and play a proactive part in their towns, with thriving youth set ups, improving facilities and increasing crowds. This is a club in long term decline, there are many examples of once great clubs kicking about the lower leagues, or worse

Have to say I agree with alot of this particularly the part in bold.

When i first started going to Junior football 30 years ago Nitten were by far the best and biggest supported team in Midlothian, perhaps even the whole of the East juniors. As someone who was a regular at Arniston, I would say that ourselves and Bonnyrigg were well behind in terms of support and success.

Two things then happened that propelled Bonnyrigg to their recent success'.

1. The club was the 1st in Midlothian to really grasp the community club ethos along with the funding that came with it. 

2. The expantion of it's population, as it became a popular commuting town for Edinburgh.

Taken together these factors allowed Bonnyrigg to grow there support/participation among younger families, many of whom were/are new to the area. This is self fullfilling and feeds back as each new generation moves on.

Nitten on the other hand have never really invested in it's community club in the same way. It does have youth teams but not at every age. Most of the young kids in Nitten probably play for either Bonnyrigg or Arniston who themselves have made great strides in the last couple of years to develop a better relationship with the senior side. Newtongrange also hasn't had the same scale of population growth as Bonnyrigg either.

Unless they can attract a younger audience in greater numbers, they will continue to struggle to mount a serious challenge up the leagues.

Nitten only have two teams, the senior EOS side and the development team at Under 20s level. They have no teams playing within the SERYFA youth set up at all. You are correct in saying that Bonnyrigg have reaped the rewards of expansion, but they also work incredibly hard within the town to build relationships, encourage kids to games and are an open and inclusive club. Arniston, without any hint of the success Bonnyrigg have, are the same. Nitten have nothing. Bottom line is that the club continue to sink, continue to sign absolute dross amateur players and continue to lose games almost non stop for the last 3 seasons. But they somehow continue to trade on reputation of a bygone era with an incredible ignorance towards the current reality.

A couple of questions for Urban123 

You clearly have a few issues that you would like raise at Nitten, rather than rant on here the committee meet in the club committee room on a Tuesday at 7pm, perhaps you could go along and discuss your concerns?  I'm sure they'd listen to you and possibly even invite you to join them to try and fixed them.

The committee a few weeks back asked for help from the supporters / community to carry out a programme of remedial works at the stadium, did you offer any assitance ?

The club hold it's AGM every May have you every attended one ?

Do you ever attend the fundraising functions held in the social club ?

Do you play the Star lotto ?

There's plenty you could be doing to help the club. 

On the playing front I agree that something is not quite right and a few of the players aren't good enough. There was a few games last season that can be clearly identified with a lack of game management when in a winning position, that were lost causing a confidence issue during games. I fear more of the same this season if we lose a goal the confidence goes very quickly.

On the youth front it would appear that attempts have been made to raise the profile of the club in the last 6 or 7 years but circumstances outwith the control of the club has meant unfortunately the club are behind others. The Star Academy was run independantly with agreements in place to formally merge in time, however the Academy folded at the beinging of the pandemic.  The club entered a partnership with Lasswade Thistle about 18 months ago but again due to the pandemic this has proved difficult with Lasswade losing several of thier teams. The current under 20's mainly came from Lasswade and have had a few of those players train with and have been in the 1st team squad.  Unfortunately the only team to survive from the Academy folded at the start of the season due to insuffient players at the under 17 age group and that was after winning a cup final at under 16's last season.

IF you care about the direction of the club do the right thing speak to the committee and offer assitance

I am glad you agree about the current team. From memory, Nitten lost the last 4/5 games they played before covid ended the season. Once football resumed they then failed to win any of the opening 14 league ties. 19 league games with no victories across two seasons. They were then relegated having won 7 games across an entire campaign, in all competitions. They have not progressed into round 2 of any cup competition since 2018 IIRC, happy to stand corrected. This season the manager has stated on the club website following a  1-0 home against Burntisland Shipyard that it was “great to hold out for a win..” and they were “more like ourselves”. Burntisland currently have 1 point, along with Kennoway, the only other side they have beaten this season. Whilst others strive for Lowland League football or beyond, Nitten are happy with a 1-0 win against Burntisland. If your suggesting I can’t use a public forum to highlight these failings or my concern at them or that I must offer my assistance to the committee before I air them then you are mistaken. The committee is already elected and in place, with a remit to run the club properly and to make decisions in the clubs best interests. They agreed to serve the club on that basis and if they don’t they will be criticised. That is how football works. It is unthinkable that they allowed the club to sink down a division having not won any of the first 14 league ties, but to continue to allow it to go on this long is sheer incompetence and neglect of duty. I stopped attending some time ago and will not return, much like many others including my son. There is no connection with the team, the club, the committee or the village. I do look out for results and I do wish them luck, they are certainly going to need it now more than at most points in their history.

On 26/08/2022 at 17:29, StarBlue1971 said:

A couple of questions for Urban123 

You clearly have a few issues that you would like raise at Nitten, rather than rant on here the committee meet in the club committee room on a Tuesday at 7pm, perhaps you could go along and discuss your concerns?  I'm sure they'd listen to you and possibly even invite you to join them to try and fixed them.

The committee a few weeks back asked for help from the supporters / community to carry out a programme of remedial works at the stadium, did you offer any assitance ?

The club hold it's AGM every May have you every attended one ?

Do you ever attend the fundraising functions held in the social club ?

Do you play the Star lotto ?

There's plenty you could be doing to help the club. 

On the playing front I agree that something is not quite right and a few of the players aren't good enough. There was a few games last season that can be clearly identified with a lack of game management when in a winning position, that were lost causing a confidence issue during games. I fear more of the same this season if we lose a goal the confidence goes very quickly.

On the youth front it would appear that attempts have been made to raise the profile of the club in the last 6 or 7 years but circumstances outwith the control of the club has meant unfortunately the club are behind others. The Star Academy was run independantly with agreements in place to formally merge in time, however the Academy folded at the beinging of the pandemic.  The club entered a partnership with Lasswade Thistle about 18 months ago but again due to the pandemic this has proved difficult with Lasswade losing several of thier teams. The current under 20's mainly came from Lasswade and have had a few of those players train with and have been in the 1st team squad.  Unfortunately the only team to survive from the Academy folded at the start of the season due to insuffient players at the under 17 age group and that was after winning a cup final at under 16's last season.

IF you care about the direction of the club do the right thing speak to the committee and offer assitance

That’s a very good response. 
If the others can do better - get involved, do it and prove it. 

On 27/08/2022 at 17:18, Cowdenleith said:

Well done to you guys today.

I hope @Urban123 can enjoy his Saturday evening for once 😆

Very happy to win a cup tie at long last, even if it was against pub level opposition. We can only hope it’s the start of a run of victories and good performances. The next few games are against sides Nitten should hammer.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be a lot of ill-informed moaning here, at the game today and Nitten looked a lot hungrier than The Burgh, that looked a decent enough side to me, sure that there's been worse sides up there before now.

Well done the Star, deserved winners today, all the best in the next round.

You b&$%£......  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2022 at 20:41, Ginaro said:

Looks like the ranting on this thread worked - 6 wins out of 6 since it was posted, top of the league and still in the Scottish Cup :lol:

The future looks much brighter at Nitten just now.  The club is looking well run again , and credit to the committee for sticking by Kingy who has added some good players to help mount a challenge to get back to the Premier League

First visit to New Victoria Park v West Calder today, scrappy affair with some bizarre ref decisions. The equaliser 1-1 was an excellent passing move well finished.A soft penalty for 2-2 and I thought West were the more likely winners from there on, until getting caught out with a ball over the top, a good finish by Frazer Sutherland - Nitten got away with it slightly imo. Loved the ground and clubhouse, cheap beer up here again ! Am sure Star can play better, be more cohesive as a side, some half decent youngsters.(pen for 2-2 below)20221015_154228.thumb.jpg.ef235b0df2fb278f6f24c1cff2bf284b.jpg