Forfar Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 27 August 2022)

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Fair play to Stenhousemuir FC today. That wasn't the most convincing of performances but it was a positive result and a step in the right direction. A good first-half display was followed by a gritty showing in the second, followed by an unnecessarily anxious ending. I'm still not sure about Stephen Swift, and I don't think a three-man defence is viable in the long term, but the three points was gratefully accepted.

Our two first-half goals effectively sealed the contest. The first saw Nicky Jamieson stoop to head home a corner kick from close range; the second saw Will Sewell out-pace Andy Munro and score with a sensational finish, angling the ball across Marc McCallum and into the net. It was a really deft strike and I hope there are more to come from him. The second half was scrappy, with neither side showing much fluency, until Craig Slater's late free-kick hit the post and Robert Nditi reacted quickly to prod home from close range. It was the fourth goal we've conceded from a set-piece in the league and it set up a nervous finish, but Stenhousemuir largely kept their hosts at bay.

Forfar Athletic are the worst side I've seen in the division so far this season. I thought they were the poorest side we encountered last time around and nothing has changed. McCallum is a good goalkeeper and he made some brave, decisive saves, and Craig Slater is a superstar midfielder, but the rest look less than the sum of their parts, somehow - they're a poor defensive unit and light up front. I find it remarkable that Gary Irvine is still in employment because there's no indication this club are moving in the right direction under him.

Stenny weren't amazing but I was pleased with the performance of individuals like Nicky Jamieson (the best player on the park), Mikey Miller and Callum Yeats, as well as the impact of substitutes Mikey Anderson and Tam Orr (who probably should have scored). All five have fallen below the standards the set last term and I hope, to quote Swift, that "the season starts now". They're good players and a lot is, rightly, expected from them. Elsewhere, Sewell and Matty Yates played well in the opening spells before falling away as the game drifted on, Clangers Brennan made some decent saves, and Nat Wedderburn put his big frame to good use to waste time at the death.

When I saw the team and the formation, I thought Swift was done for but this result has bought him another week at least. I'm not sure if his tactics won us the match, or if Forfar are such a poor side that we'd have got the victory anyway, but fielding Dan Higgins at right centre-back isn't the answer, that's for sure. I expect us to line up with the same system against Stranraer next week, and to lose, somehow.

Football, bloody hell!

So, in summary, Forfar = shite, stenny = less shite. 

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm not sure if his tactics won us the match, or if Forfar are such a poor side that we'd have got the  victory anyway

I suspect you know it was the latter. Despite completely deserving the three points today I thought Stenny had regressed from how you finished the second half of last season.

Edited by nofixedability

I don't think I can glean much about Stenny from that game. Went 2-0 up then didn't have to do anything.

Forfar are in real trouble. The whole club seems a bit depressed behind the scenes.

Naming two subs who weren't even stripped says a lot.

Edited by invergowrie arab

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't think I can glean much about Stenny from that game. Went 2-0 up then didn't have to do anything.

Forfar are in real trouble. The whole club seems a bit depressed behind the scenes.

Naming two subs who weren't even stripped says a lot.

Could be worse I suppose….

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Loon7474 said:

Can the young team not sing Gary Gary get to fk ? Or would the steward get his handcuffs out 

Stewarding , board members ( not all )  

Clubs a shambles ,  even the stand looks more purple than sky blue 

I can imagine the stewards would confiscate the drum and tell the young team to stop singing if they said anything negative about the club or manager.

We went back to predominant navy this year, along with the new kit have you noticed a lot of the graphics are navy rather than sky, so the stand being more purple than sky kind of follows that thinking. Does that mean we're doing away with sky blue, I don't know 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

I can imagine the stewards would confiscate the drum and tell the young team to stop singing if they said anything negative about the club or manager.

We went back to predominant navy this year, along with the new kit have you noticed a lot of the graphics are navy rather than sky, so the stand being more purple than sky kind of follows that thinking. Does that mean we're doing away with sky blue, I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Thats a great idea, do away with one of the things that makes the club stand out.