Bairns v Queens at the Bairnabeu, 27 Aug

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Barry Cook's a far better standard of referee than usually seen at this level though, and he absolutely DID get all of the big calls right. It's a clear penalty, it's a clear red card. I did think he made some bizarre inconsistent decisions though if I'm being nit picky. He quite rightly played on when Stuart Morrison injured himself trying to challenge his namesake Calumn Morrison, allowing Callumn to go on and score but later in the same half when we have a promising position, he stopped play for treatment to McCann following what was neither a foul nor a head injury. He also quite rightly booked East and McKechnie for cynical fouls in the first half, but didn't do the same with a Falkirk player who chopped down Reilly just before half time (might also have been McCann). And much as it was atrocious defending from us, the 2nd goal comes after he bizarrely prevented us taking a quick throw 20 yards BACK from where the ball went out which is something that's been routinely allowed for all of the 40 years or so I've been watching football. He made us bring it back up to halfway and take it again, at which point we promptly threw it straight to Falkirk, East and McKay collided with each other like Willie Miller and Alan Hansen at the 1982 World Cup and Alegria was presented with a goal.

Not to detract from the fact that we were awful first half and the better team absolutely won. We did look like we might get back into it 2nd half and had a good 20 minutes but McGlynn's triple sub changed it back to Falkirk in charge.

100% this, Hetherington came on and won the battles that Nesbit was losing.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

BAnd much as it was atrocious defending from us, the 2nd goal comes after he bizarrely prevented us taking a quick throw 20 yards BACK from where the ball went out which is something that's been routinely allowed for all of the 40 years or so I've been watching football. He made us bring it back up to halfway and take it again, at which point we promptly threw it straight to Falkirk. 

I meant to moan about this in my initial post.

What the f**k is it with us taking throw ins. It wasn’t the first time we’d gifted the ball back to Falkirk from a throw in. Really is pretty pathetic from full time footballers. 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

If this was your first game in a few years would you mind sticking around for the remainder of the season?…

Funny you should say that, it’s been asked more than once today.

I thought you said QoS were title contenders? I did warn you that this season is about staying up for you. 
Nice to see you in here. The last time I read your drivel in was in support of Rangers. I expect to hear from you on Tuesday as well. Sadly.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, MS RR said:
I thought you said QoS were title contenders? I did warn you that this season is about staying up for you. 

Nice to see you in here. The last time I read your drivel in was in support of Rangers. I expect to hear from you on Tuesday as well. Sadly.

Well a team that are carrying Scottish football should just about take care of a tier 3 relegation contender. 

I actually think you’ll be in play off contention this season at least. QoS had some decent spells and I really thought we played well today rather than QoS being poor.
It’s hard to say for sure but I think it could be Pars, Airdrie and ourselves with one of yourselves or Montrose for the top four.
Early days though…..

24 minutes ago, sneeuq said:

Yep not much too add, however i do think we’ll be safe this year but won’t be in the top four. Slightly depressing to say this after only 5 game but c’est  la vie..

It's the same crap different division.  

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Airdrie, Pars and Falkirk in the top 3 and split by only one point.

Tasty.

Takes a round and much more of games to take shape, Pars folk I know creaming after 3 games was laughable, still football fans on a whole are like that.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Barry Cook's a far better standard of referee than usually seen at this level though, and he absolutely DID get all of the big calls right. It's a clear penalty, it's a clear red card. I did think he made some bizarre inconsistent decisions though if I'm being nit picky. He quite rightly played on when Stuart Morrison injured himself trying to challenge his namesake Calumn Morrison, allowing Callumn to go on and score but later in the same half when we have a promising position, he stopped play for treatment to McCann following what was neither a foul nor a head injury. He also quite rightly booked East and McKechnie for cynical fouls in the first half, but didn't do the same with a Falkirk player who chopped down Reilly just before half time 

A referees guidance is to protect players welfare and McCann was in some discomfort, don't think Morrison showed similar discomfort, obviously in pain but McCann's pain was greater hence protect players welfare.

The Reilly foul was nowhere similar to the one against Falkirk. Reilly was fortunate not to be booked for previous, which was maybe a reason he was hooked early.....or being ineffective.

The ref may have got a few wrong, they all do but nothing was detriment to the game, that is all you can hope for.

There was no Dykes diving for a penalty scenario for sure 

10 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Another dreadful performance from us - gutless and insipid all over the pitch. I haven’t seen enough of Dave McKay to form a view of his potential but if he is genuinely a poorer option than namesake Paul and Morrison………….then we really do have problems.

In East, Wilson (when fit), Todd, Paton and Connelly you have a core base to work from- the rest are miles off the standard required. Half hearted, lacking the desire necessary to “go the extra mile” to make things happen. Gibson has to start picking himself immediately as we cannot afford to do without his services on the pitch when things are repeatedly going so badly wrong.

Muir, McMahon and son, Lewis should all be challenging for game time because they have to be a better option than several of their colleagues. The way that we start games is frankly appalling- second to every ball, soft centred at the back and a GK who simply doesn’t inspire any confidence.

Sorry but the dye is well and truly cast - drastic action required or we face a basement battle. Things will go wrong in games even when the tactics and performance levels are good but things are so wrong here that we are not even giving ourselves a chance of “good things happening”.

🤣🤣trust me, having seen a lot of this league over 3 years, you are nowhere near a basement battle. You’ll absolutely body teams at home often.

Very much enjoyed yesterday. Great to have Alegria and Lawal both off the mark and thought Burrell also looked good when he came on. Three very well taken and constructed goals but can understand Queens fans frustrations with the defending. The recruitment under McGlynn really has highlighted just how unbelievably wrong Holt was managing to get it previously. Just a shame we are still saddled with so many of his duds and have no chance of moving any of them on before the window shuts 

What a tremendous young player Yeats is. Not his natural position but still looked very comfortable filling in and didnt put a foot wrong all game. I'd be giving him a new contract now

Good to have Henderson back, he looks like he will stroll it at this level along with Donaldson and they would be my first choice CB pairing. Queens didnt look remotely like scoring from open play and you could tell Mackie was frustrated to have given away such a needless penalty 

McCann is finally starting to look like the player we signed from Airdrie. Popping up on the right wing and gliding past a couple of men was a particular highlight. Night and day with the majority of last season and it all comes back to the manager for me. Similar improvements from the likes of Nesbitt, Williamson, McKay and Hetherington are no coincidence 

Yesterday once again highlighted for me that we are better without Hetheringon in the side in terms of our attacking play. When you have a competent defence and McGinn dominating the middle of the park you simply dont need two holding midfielders, especially at home. A slightly more industrial role for Nesbitt and Oliver as a result but both worked hard and do offer something going forward 

I know the triple sub was made after Queens scored but McGlynn had already made the call to change things before that as it was clear we had lost a bit of our first half momentum. Incredibly refreshing to have someone in charge that is capable of recognising that and being proactive in addressing it 

Although we looked well ahead of Queens they still played decent stuff at times and have some good players for this level. Wouldnt surprise me if they finish 4th over the piece. 

Thought over the 90 minutes we thoroughly deserved the win and if Nesbitt's header that hit the underside of the bar had gone in a 4-1 scoreline wouldnt have flattered us imo. Just need to stop getting pumped by Airdrie and we'll be right in the mix come the end of the season.

Maybe my only gripe (and I'm reaching here) is playing Morrison and McGuffie as inverted wingers. Both are better on their natural sides, particularly McGuffie. 

A final mention to the ref. They are usually utterly woeful at this level but thought his overall performance was quite reasonable, not particularly in favour of us just fairly consistent for both teams. Dont remotely get the comparison of pulling play up for McCann staying down injured (who was clearly in some pain) with the incident at our goal given the game had only gone on for about 3 seconds

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

7 hours ago, bairn88 said:

🤣🤣trust me, having seen a lot of this league over 3 years, you are nowhere near a basement battle. You’ll absolutely body teams at home often.

You should maybe study our record at home before making that statement, it's woeful. We usually play better away from home (we can have games like yesterday too unfortunately). It's our home form that has mainly seen us battle against relegation the past few seasons imo, and we eventually got what we deserved after last season. We've already been bodied by Clyde at home this season and we were lucky to limit them to 4 goals. 

9 hours ago, MrDust said:

Takes a round and much more of games to take shape, Pars folk I know creaming after 3 games was laughable, still football fans on a whole are like that.

A referees guidance is to protect players welfare and McCann was in some discomfort, don't think Morrison showed similar discomfort, obviously in pain but McCann's pain was greater hence protect players welfare.

The Reilly foul was nowhere similar to the one against Falkirk. Reilly was fortunate not to be booked for previous, which was maybe a reason he was hooked early.....or being ineffective.

The ref may have got a few wrong, they all do but nothing was detriment to the game, that is all you can hope for.

There was no Dykes diving for a penalty scenario for sure 

Yes I totally agree, one player rolled about and made it look good to get the game stopped and then played on for the majority of the game the other  attempted to get back up but couldn’t continue. 

9 hours ago, MrDust said:

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Dont remotely get the comparison of pulling play up for McCann staying down injured (who was clearly in some pain) with the incident at our goal given the game had only gone on for about 3 seconds

So basically your player, who played on for the whole 90 minutes after treatment, screamed a bit louder than the one who never moved, had to be helped from the field and was immeiately substituted.  🙄

Neither was a foul, neither was a headknock. If the players didn't choose to put the ball out themselves then he should have allowed play to continue until there was a natural stoppage.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So basically your player, who played on for the whole 90 minutes after treatment, screamed a bit louder than the one who never moved, had to be helped from the field and was immeiately substituted.  🙄

Neither was a foul, neither was a headknock. If the players didn't choose to put the ball out themselves then he should have allowed play to continue until there was a natural stoppage.

get it up ye x 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jesus wept....

It's all very simple to see why the ref acted how he did but go ahead but put some salt n vinegar on the chip on your shoulder.

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

get it up ye x 

24 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Jesus wept....

It's all very simple to see why the ref acted how he did but go ahead but put some salt n vinegar on the chip on your shoulder.

Wheel off wheelbarrow?

So basically your player, who played on for the whole 90 minutes after treatment, screamed a bit louder than the one who never moved, had to be helped from the field and was immeiately substituted.  [emoji849]
nah na nah nah na