Bairns v Queens at the Bairnabeu, 27 Aug

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Ha ha ... nice one, I like it! 👍

It's more pro-Scottish, and Arran's just fab - great for the bike and there’s quite a big hill that OAPs like to walk up. can't get enough of the place and less than an hour by boat (when they run that is) what's not to like?

FTFY. Only issue with Arran is that unlike the Shetlands or Orkneys or Hebrides or even Mull, it’s just a chunk of north Ayrshire with no real cultural quirks of its own……oh, and their distillery has a horrible tour room that is made of polystyrene foam that’s meant to look like it’s 200 years old. They simply need to embrace that they were opened in the mid 90s by Euan McGregor, and forget about the appalling faux old world look.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

FTFY. Only issue with Arran is that unlike the Shetlands or Orkneys or Hebrides or even Mull, it’s just a chunk of north Ayrshire with no real cultural quirks of its own……oh, and their distillery has a horrible tour room that is made of polystyrene foam that’s meant to look like it’s 200 years old. They simply need to embrace that they were opened in the mid 90s by Euan McGregor, and forget about the appalling faux old world look.

Each to his own I guess, but if you like the natural world and scenery at its raw finest then Arran ticks the box.  I've climbed the "big hill" (Goatfell) half a dozen times but its boring as you say.  The real gems are the jaggy mountains (three Corbetts) behind in Glen Rosa and Glen Sannox and the sharp ridges and scrambles that link them which are mostly tourist free.  I'm not a whiskey fan so will take your word re the faux age (I don't think they claim to be old) of their north distillery  at Lochranza but they now also have a new distillery in the south at Lagg.  Cycling the 56 mile "tour" of the island around the edge is about as fine a day on the bike as you can get anywhere.  I am admittedly very biased though! 🙂

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Each to his own I guess, but if you like the natural world and scenery at its raw finest then Arran ticks the box.  I've climbed the "big hill" (Goatfell) half a dozen times but its boring as you say.  The real gems are the jaggy mountains (three Corbetts) behind in Glen Rosa and Glen Sannox and the sharp ridges and scrambles that link them which are mostly tourist free.  I'm not a whiskey fan so will take your word re the faux age (I don't think they claim to be old) of their north distillery  at Lochranza but they now also have a new distillery in the south at Lagg.  Cycling the 56 mile "tour" of the island around the edge is about as fine a day on the bike as you can get anywhere.  I am admittedly very biased though! 🙂

Whiskey?

FFS!

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Politician "Gorgeous" George Galloway who was invited to attend a game at Palmerston during Covid crowd restrictions when ordinary fans were barred. 

Cheers, didn't recognise him without his cat ears and whiskers 

Anyway, back to the game on Saturday - Iain Wilson left Peterhead on crutches last weekend, having turned his ankle so I'd imagine there's little or no chance of him featuring in the squad which will weaken our midfield.  Anyone heard any updates?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Anyway, back to the game on Saturday - Iain Wilson left Peterhead on crutches last weekend, having turned his ankle so I'd imagine there's little or no chance of him featuring in the squad which will weaken our midfield.  Anyone heard any updates?

His ankle is still swollen and they are taking it on a day by day basis, presume he’s ruled out for it

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm also abroad at the moment (England) so haven't heard any word about Wilson, but assuming he is out we've got to be pinning our hopes on McGrory being fit enough to come in and get through the 90 minutes as our other "box-to-box midfielder", Cochrane, hasn't looked fit or particularly interested at any time this season.  Hopefully there will be some news about Wilson on the official site before the match - it was very refreshing at the end of last season when updates on injured players were posted there.

Speaking of updates, it was helpful around 20 years ago when the club took a weekly half-page ad in the Standard sports section to devote to club news.  I guess now that a combination of social media, advertising costs and the fact that the Standard's sports coverage has fallen off a cliff in the past couple of years makes that exercise redundant now, although not everyone has access to online info (eg my 90 year old uncle!). 

That, and the fact that the Standard couldn't really be trusted as the ad once proudly proclaimed in large print that the club shop had a new range of "Polo Shits" on sale probably means we won't see that source ever returning.

Edited by Slipmat

Absolutely no surprise that Dobbie single handedly destroyed these Falkirk teams, particularly that 2018 side assembled by Hartley. What a symphony of shite we signed that summer. Houston's 2017 team still contained quite a few players from the successive 2nd place finishes so that was actually probably the poorer result. Both managers were sacked either not long after these matches or had possibly already been emptied 
20220825_130303.thumb.jpg.3b1bc40cd8adbf6a7b733c3a57b83d0b.jpg20220825_130227.thumb.jpg.a2ed4eee2235a46e40e6a08030680f11.jpg

Fat Luca Gasparotto attempting to play right-back in that first game still gives me nightmares.

OK, so Fridays are ideal days for everyone getting in our pre-match excuses.  We've started with Iain Wilson's injury and likely absence to weaken our (less than) awesome midfield ... now over to you Bairns, what's yours ...?

7 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

OK, so Fridays are ideal days for everyone getting in our pre-match excuses.  We've started with Iain Wilson's injury and likely absence to weaken our (less than) awesome midfield ... now over to you Bairns, what's yours ...?

Steven Hetherington playing.

30 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

No Will Vaulks.

32 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Lack of away fans imho 

We are still in “flash in the pan” territory wrt Burrell. So far, young FY is easily our find of the season. Can McGlynn do it another two times with Burrell and Lawal?

If those two click, then who knows, the Navy Blue Juggernaut just might be back on the road again. If not, then we will just be a J plate transit van……which is still better than the Sheerin/Rennie 73 Reliant Robin (hopefully).

Both teams have had similar results so far. A combination of half decent results and one absolute howler. Pretty hard one to call. Falkirk being at home should give them the edge, though I fancy us more away from home than I do on the Somme field in Dumfries.

Wilson is a blow but if McGrory is fit it softens it at least. Would be happy with a point.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hopefully Queens players are fully focused on this game and don't try and save themselves for Tuesday's game against rangers. 

That’s the wrong approach. They need to focus on Tuesday and dial their performance levels down significantly for the Falkirk game. There’s still over 30 league games to go, so Saturday should be on the back burner.

It’s Tuesday that matters.