Bairns v Queens at the Bairnabeu, 27 Aug

Queens at home always reminds me of the standing ovation Dobbie got a few years back. Usually find that stuff cringe but was well deserved that day. 
He was excellent that day. Though I'd love to have a look at his individual stats. He could have had about 7 goals that day. I remember cheering his 3rd with an 'eventually' type attitude rather than the usual ecstasy.

27 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

…….and we need to keep a wee bit of space for “doon hammers”. It’s old, but still dependable.

Aye, cheers. Building up a decent list here now. So that'll be: Tories, Borderers, Journeymen and Doonhammers (all one word mind ...).

There was a full page cartoon strip dedicated to that game in a football magazine of the day.

I was far too young (i.e. not born yet) but it was republished in one of the fanzines we had. One F I think.

Sadly I can't find an image of it online.

Aye, cheers. Building up a decent list here now. So that'll be: Tories, Borderers, Journeymen and Doonhammers (all one word mind ...).

Let’s not forget Brexiteers.
Indeed some of them are so pro Britain their idea of a trip overseas is a day trip to the Isle of Arran…..

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:
This c**t.

En2pqRmW8AAxMDl.thumb.jpeg.f58df8ff429e2d8e0385d8bf9ea8cc3a.jpeg

You won't get any objections from our support. The only folk naïve enough to entertain that c**t was our BoD unsurprisingly.

Who is that c**t as a matter of interest?

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Let’s not forget Brexiteers.
Indeed some of them are so pro Britain their idea of a trip overseas is a day trip to the Isle of Arran…..

Ha ha ... nice one, I like it! 👍

It's more pro-Scottish, and Arran's just fab - great for the bike and awesome mountains, can't get enough of the place and less than an hour by boat (when they run that is) what's not to like?

13 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I was there, but have no memory of keeper changes. I was 14, and all I remember was us being 0-3 down after quarter of an hour, but 3-3 at half time. We then battered Queens to go 7-3 up before Queens came back into it and scored two late goals. I remember thinking at the time that another 5 minutes, and it would have been 7-7. To this day it remains my favourite match ever……..although the semi-final in 97 is up there too.

12 hours ago, brokeville said:

If I remember correctly QOS were 3-0 up. Great game. 

Cheers for the in-person feedback folks, was two years before I started going to Queens games, so its only hearsay on my part and what I've probably read from the likes of long gone match programmes reminiscing of that game.  Must have been a helluva match to watch - like our cup-semi with Aberdeen in 2008, felt like goal-a-minute stuff.

Had a wee look back through a couple of QOS books I have, but not much detail on the game:

"The Queens 1919-1975" - ... Early in the first half we were three up.  Donnie McIntyre had scored a hat-trick, two of the goals penalties.  Mid-way in the second half the score was 7-3 for Falkirk , and Lex Law and Hugh McLean completed the scoring for us to make the final score 7-5.

"Queen of the South - A Centenary History" - Somewhat strangely doesn't describe the match, although for crowd fetishists out there in the stats it gives the attendances v Falkirk that season as 3.351 at Brockville and 4,673 at Palmerston (which we lost 0-2) back when we used to get "crowds" at Palmy.  Probably a decent following down from Falkirk that day as by then Falkirk were near to clinching the 2nd tier title.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Cheers for the in-person feedback folks, was two years before I started going to Queens games, so its only hearsay on my part and what I've probably read from the likes of long gone match programmes reminiscing of that game.  Must have been a helluva match to watch - like our cup-semi with Aberdeen in 2008, felt like goal-a-minute stuff.

Had a wee look back through a couple of QOS books I have, but not much detail on the game:

"The Queens 1919-1975" - ... Early in the first half we were three up.  Donnie McIntyre had scored a hat-trick, two of the goals penalties.  Mid-way in the second half the score was 7-3 for Falkirk , and Lex Law and Hugh McLean completed the scoring for us to make the final score 7-5.

"Queen of the South - A Centenary History" - Somewhat strangely doesn't describe the match, although for crowd fetishists out there in the stats it gives the attendances v Falkirk that season as 3.351 at Brockville and 4,673 at Palmerston (which we lost 0-2) back when we used to get "crowds" at Palmy.  Probably a decent following down from Falkirk that day as by then Falkirk were near to clinching the 2nd tier title.

Appreciate keepers can be injured in more than one match but I don't recall any suggestion of an injured keeper for us in the infamous Falkirk game. You sure you're not confusing it with our record defeat 10-2 at Dundee in December 1962 where George Farm was injured very early on in the days before subs and we played the game with 10 men and an outfield player in goal?

Both games a couple of decades before my time so can't offer any personal knowledge and don't have any of the books to hand at the moment but that's from my memory of reading them.

Absolutely no surprise that Dobbie single handedly destroyed these Falkirk teams, particularly that 2018 side assembled by Hartley. What a symphony of shite we signed that summer. Houston's 2017 team still contained quite a few players from the successive 2nd place finishes so that was actually probably the poorer result. Both managers were sacked either not long after these matches or had possibly already been emptied 

20220825_130303.thumb.jpg.3b1bc40cd8adbf6a7b733c3a57b83d0b.jpg20220825_130227.thumb.jpg.a2ed4eee2235a46e40e6a08030680f11.jpg

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Appreciate keepers can be injured in more than one match but I don't recall any suggestion of an injured keeper for us in the infamous Falkirk game. You sure you're not confusing it with our record defeat 10-2 at Dundee in December 1962 where George Farm was injured very early on in the days before subs and we played the game with 10 men and an outfield player in goal?

Both games a couple of decades before my time so can't offer any personal knowledge and don't have any of the books to hand at the moment but that's from my memory of reading them.

As I said in my earlier posts, it was a couple of years before I started watching Queens, and my memory is far from perfect these days so I could be wrong (not the first time for me) and have mixed this up.  The Bairns fans who were at the game can't recall a keeper injury so I'll happily go along with their first hand recollections which is pretty good evidence to me.

What amazes me about this game though is the achievement of scoring 5 away from home and not even getting a draw.  In my time watching Queens I can recall a 5-5 away at Stranraer in the 70's, but at least we scraped a draw out of that one.  Others where we've managed 5 away from home usually have been wins.

4 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Absolutely no surprise that Dobbie single handedly destroyed these Falkirk teams, particularly that 2018 side assembled by Hartley. What a symphony of shite we signed that summer. Houston's 2017 team still contained quite a few players from the successive 2nd place finishes so that was actually probably the poorer result. Both managers were sacked either not long after these matches or had possibly already been emptied 

20220825_130303.thumb.jpg.3b1bc40cd8adbf6a7b733c3a57b83d0b.jpg20220825_130227.thumb.jpg.a2ed4eee2235a46e40e6a08030680f11.jpg

To be fair to those Bairns sides, when Dobbie was in the mood ... dearie me ...

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

To be fair to those Bairns sides, when Dobbie was in the mood ... dearie me ...

To be fair our front 4 (or 5) in that 2nd game was quite a group of talent when in the mood. Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Gary Harkins and Josh Todd (and Andy Stirling played too). When we clicked that season we could be absolutely unstoppable. 5-0 Ayr with a missed penalty was also that season, and beating a Premier League Dundee 3-0 in the Cup. It was the season Dobbie scored 42 goals, and he had 20 by mid September (and missed two months of the season injured).

Still remarkable to me that group dropped like a stone from a genuine promotion bid to end up in the relegation playoff in the 2nd half of that season. Harkins departed at Xmas, Josh Todd's form fell off a cliff after he picked up an injury and then signed a pre-contract with Dundee then Dobbie himself was out for a month and the defence was exposed for actually not being very good when the front end of the team wasn't bullying other sides.