Queen's Park vs Cove

Superb again. Maybe not as easy on the eye today but that’s exactly the type of game we would of bottled last season. The game should of been wrapped up much earlier but we got the 3 points in the end, which sets up the Dundee game really nicely. 

A few candidates for MOTM I’d say. Lee Kilday was superb at the back and is currently proving myself and maybe a few other fans wrong regarding his capabilities at championship level. Jack Thomson is quickly becoming a machine in the middle of the park. The way he bullied Logan off the ball midway through the 2nd half was fantastic to watch. 

I think overall the top players today were Thomas and Murray. I’m struggling to find a better winger in this league than Dom Thomas. His footwork and trickery, particularly in tight situations is incredibly impressive but it’s the consistency of his play that makes him stand out. He always seems in control of the ball and if he can add a few more goals to his armoury, then he’d probably not be a championship footballer in all honesty. 

What can you say about Simon Murray? Going into this season I was thinking he’d be fine as a 2nd choice striker but my goodness has the guy stepped up. Having his first pre season in 3 years has obviously benefited him but it’s overall play on and off the ball that’s improved immeasurably. 7 goals in all comps already and we’re still in august is fantastic viewing. He bullied the cove defence and quite rightly he’s the captain of this club. He epitomises the way Coyle wants to play. I must say I did panic for a minute when he went down after jumping cause I thought he buggered his knee but I think it looked like cramp in the end ?  

Cove were poor. They look a mile off from what they were last season and obviously it’s worth noting that megginson was out but jeezo the big striker that got subbed off at half time was dreadful. Longstaff arguably looked even worse than he did last season for us. They looked slightly more threatening once leitch and Mcintosh entered the field but I’d be worried for cove if they don’t bring any more players in before the window shuts 

Came along to this game today as I live locally but support the Warriors. Big Eze is some player but Simon Murray's movement and positioning were top drawer, so many out ball options going on, Cove never really got to grips with it. Good game of football that Queens could've won by 3 or 4 more if they had taken their chances.

Was speaking to the club officials after the game and they were tremendous, plenty of time for us and welcoming, the kids even got to meet Simon Murray and few other players etc too. Gave a great impression and wish you's all the success this season. Well done.

Deserved to win. Only frustration is not being able to see a game out comfortably. Having said that, there were strong performances across the team and we could and should have scored more. Ten points from the first five games is a sensational return. What a job Owen Coyle is doing. 

A deserved 3 points in the end but a bit of an up and down performance. Murray, Thomas and Kilday had very good games but Boateng and Thomson struggled to get a hold of the midfield and Davidson was exposed defensively a few times. A great start overall though and another exciting game to look forward to at Dundee next week.

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Really recommend reading the match report on the Cove website if you fancy a laugh, where they describe yesterday as "an undeserved defeat". The person who wrote it was either at a totally different game, or absolutely pished:

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/08/27/improved-performance-in-unlucky-loss/

Not so sure about that. Whilst the report was written from a Cove perspective it wasn't highly inaccurate. We made it much harder than it needed to be and I was relieved that we managed to win the match.

11 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Not so sure about that. Whilst the report was written from a Cove perspective it wasn't highly inaccurate. We made it much harder than it needed to be and I was relieved that we managed to win the match.

Totally disagree. Every single event that took place is described in a hilariously biased fashion, downplaying anything we did while making them out to have been the better team. 

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

Really recommend reading the match report on the Cove website if you fancy a laugh, where they describe yesterday as "an undeserved defeat". The person who wrote it was either at a totally different game, or absolutely pished:

https://coverangersfc.com/2022/08/27/improved-performance-in-unlucky-loss/

They’re fairly renowned for their embarrassingly biased reports. They could lose 6-0 and they’d still find some sort of injustice throughout the game 

I wasn't at the game yesterday, first match missed in a long time, however, going by the stats, what I heard from Cove fans and watching the highlights is that we could of taken something from it but would have been a wee bit of a snatch (but we didn't and that's the only really important point). I didn't expect much with Mitch, Blair, Evan and Scott Ross out. 4 mainstays in the team. Not only that McIntyre is a joke of a manager and getting everything wrong currently.

First 30 minutes looked fairly even. No team carving open a notable chance. The next 30 minutes was mostly all the spiders in regards to attacking threat. Murray took his pen well and although Fyvie's misplaced pass was a shocker he rounded Reynolds well and slotted it home for the second.

Thought our goal was well worked and Leighton's finish was composed and right in the corner. Was a lifeline more than anything. At 2-1 we didn't create enough to get the equaliser. Spiders had one decent chance thereafter but Gourlay, who performed notable again, kept it out with his feet. Fyvie had a great run but the shot was a tad weak. Leitch had an effort at the end but didn't trouble Ferrie.

Did Luis touch it once? Gerry looked ineffective, makes Leighton look top class and rightly got hooked at half time. We need 3 solid acquisitions imo in order to transform the side enough to pick up regular points 

Lastly Cieran Dunne looked like he had a pretty solid game on the left wing.

Screenshot_20220828-094542.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Apart from the goals, he cleared one off the line too. The man's on fire. The effort he puts it is quite extraordinary.

Headers, strikes or tap-ins. He’s got the lot. You see how we miss him when he leaves the pitch. Links play well and offers so much off the ball with his runs. Fingers crossed he’s fit all year 🤞

We deserved to win, no doubt.

However, if Cove had equalised near the end, we would only have had ourselves to blame. The passing was not as slick as in recent games and credit should be given to Cove for not allowing the ball to be passed between them.   

Or team are very inexperienced at this level, at times that shows, however, they are improving and will continue to get better as we progress through the season 

Firstly, a great result. Just a couple of years since we dreaded meeting Cove and now our concern is we didn’t bury them. I’m delighted that the team who tried to play with style and guile won the match; football wins again.

As for Cove’s late rally, I’d lay that directly to our two strikers leaving the field. The work ethic, on and off the ball, of Murray and Williamson is excellent and although their replacements might have some handy skills their team roles are lacking at this stage. We were unfortunate that Murray got injured after Williamson’s substitution and young Kenny was left on his own. Still, the defence done their job well and, critically, didn’t buckle after Cove’s well worked goal.

Also, looking at our bench yesterday that is probably the strongest mix of subs we’ve ever had. After nine competitive games I have no sense at all of feeling our luck might run out. It looks like we’re only going to get better. Good performances all over the pitch yesterday, again, but the Milky Bars this week have to go to Murray for that winning goal and Thomas for some incredible ball wizardry that reminded me of Georgie Best. Good times!

The Cove match report was quite amusing. Sure they could have nicked a point, but there was a huge contrast in the attacking intent, with only the score suggesting otherwise. Some of the forward play was great to watch, and it could have been a more comfortable afternoon if we weren't all aware that no lead is safe for us (the only team not yet to keep a clean sheet).

I agree that our bench looks strong, and the only area I would hope to strengthen is a back-up for Ferrie.

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I wasn't at the game yesterday, first match missed in a long time, however, going by the stats, what I heard from Cove fans and watching the highlights is that we could of taken something from it but would have been a wee bit of a snatch (but we didn't and that's the only really important point). I didn't expect much with Mitch, Blair, Evan and Scott Ross out. 4 mainstays in the team. Not only that McIntyre is a joke of a manager and getting everything wrong currently.

First 30 minutes looked fairly even. No team carving open a notable chance. The next 30 minutes was mostly all the spiders in regards to attacking threat. Murray took his pen well and although Fyvie's misplaced pass was a shocker he rounded Reynolds well and slotted it home for the second.

Thought our goal was well worked and Leighton's finish was composed and right in the corner. Was a lifeline more than anything. At 2-1 we didn't create enough to get the equaliser. Spiders had one decent chance thereafter but Gourlay, who performed notable again, kept it out with his feet. Fyvie had a great run but the shot was a tad weak. Leitch had an effort at the end but didn't trouble Ferrie.

Did Luis touch it once? Gerry looked ineffective, makes Leighton look top class and rightly got hooked at half time. We need 3 solid acquisitions imo in order to transform the side enough to pick up regular points 

Lastly Cieran Dunne looked like he had a pretty solid game on the left wing.

Screenshot_20220828-094542.jpg

Gourlay and Dunne (number 13 I think he was?) were definitely your best players. I mind Gourlay having an absolute howler pretty much this point last season where he sold the jerseys for Bob McHugh’s goal but he made a number of great stops this time around. Dunne was really good at carrying the ball and got by Davidson a fair few times. There was just no quality in the box to match his runs 

Edited by qpfc

On 28/08/2022 at 08:33, spiders4ever said:

When you're only one goal ahead when it should have been more then you're always relieved to get the three points. However we clearly deserved to win and created better chances than Cove. Gourlay (who was pretty impressive) had far more to do than Ferrie. Especially second half when he made two great saves, first to stop Thomson one on one (that was a lovely move by the way) then a finger tip save from Kenny's low shot.

Narrow wins every week will probably end up killing me but hey ho, it'll be some way to go.