Pars vs Airdrie - 27/08/2022

Feels like a massive game already even though we’re only 4 games into the season, feel like it’s got a draw written all over it and would happily take that tbh. Hopefully a decent travelling crowd going, would estimate around 300/400. Hope that we can start converting more of these chances we are creating as I feel we will need to be clinical to get a result against what seems a very resolute Dunfermline back line. Will predict 1-0 Airdrie with Kyle MacDonald scoring an OG and getting sent off late on, EIO[emoji3532]

48 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Notice Pars fans feel that they need to add to their squad of eh, 30! 

We have a starting XI, four fit first team subs, a reserve goalkeeper and 2 first team squad players - Dorrans and Allan - injured. I make that a squad of 18? If you include the academy guys I guess we have around 30 but of those, you're only likely to see their names to fill out a bench unless one really takes their chance in a reserve game or Challenge Cup tie.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Correct, my mistake it's only 25.

Again, I take it this is going by the list on the COWS which includes academy players Beasley, Tod, Archibald, Rennie, Young and Sutherland. The first two named may feature at some point if we have a particularly bad spate of injuries but they aren't really first team squad players. The others are there to make up numbers in training. I see that Miller Fenton is included in that list despite being on loan at Berwick Rangers. So sadly you're mistaken again. Given that Airdrie list 16 senior players on their website and we have two first team players injured at the moment, we have the same number of players available. Nice to try and get the excuses in early though, not that you'll need them.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Correct, my mistake it's only 25.

Don’t know why I’m bothering responding, given you’ve admitted to adding 20% to what you consider to be the ‘actual’ figure. But, you’re including players in our u18 squad as first team players? You’re getting really desperate here. To be fair, anyone using our website for information is going to get things wrong. We haven’t even got Martin Harty listed as a coach, despite him being contracted to the club since day 1 of preseason.

Since we don’t have a reserve squad this year, they’ve just put anybody on a professional contract, or that has been named in a match day squad, in the ‘first team’ section. But 6 of them (Rennie, Beagley, Young, Tod, Sutherland, Archibald) are members of the U18 squad and McPake has said he won’t throw them into league football. Another one (Miller Fenton) is out on loan, so he won’t be able to play for us.

We have 18 first team players. Including 2 who are injured fairly long term (Dorrans and Allan). We aren’t a million miles away from having a full squad in terms of numbers, but we have a lot of midfielders, a lot of strikers and not much cover anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Don’t know why I’m bothering responding, given you’ve admitted to adding 20% to what you consider to be the ‘actual’ figure. But, you’re including players in our u18 squad as first team players? You’re getting really desperate here. To be fair, anyone using our website for information is going to get things wrong. We haven’t even got Martin Harty listed as a coach, despite him being contracted to the club since day 1 of preseason.

Since we don’t have a reserve squad this year, they’ve just put anybody on a professional contract, or that has been named in a match day squad, in the ‘first team’ section. But 6 of them (Rennie, Beagley, Young, Tod, Sutherland, Archibald) are members of the U18 squad and McPake has said he won’t throw them into league football. Another one (Miller Fenton) is out on loan, so he won’t be able to play for us.

We have 18 first team players. Including 2 who are injured fairly long term (Dorrans and Allan). We aren’t a million miles away from having a full squad in terms of numbers, but we have a lot of midfielders, a lot of strikers and not much cover anywhere else. 

Thanks Calum

Cannot wait for this nonsense. I’m really hoping that smith gets going tomorrow and grabs a goal or two. 

Bar Gallagher, I’m enjoying the pace of our front line this season. Jamieson and Smith are very quick and give us that ball over the top option if needed.

I can’t see us being out-worked tomorrow. McCabe has the team looking very aggressive and attacking. Under Murray, we’d score a goal and sit in however we’re constantly looking for goals this season which is promising… and entertaining…

2-0 Airdrie 👍🏼

36 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Smith was well liked at East End and it'll be good to see how he has progressed. He never really kicked on in the way we hoped he would. Is that Gabby McGill you have as well? He had one good half at Love Street in the Cup but other than that was terrible for us.

Yep the very same. He's been excellent for us. 

Big test for us. As most have said, our results so far probably paint a fairly misleading picture of our performances. Other than Edinburgh, where we were up against 10 men for most of the game, we haven’t really played well. We’ve maybe had a few 5-10 min spells where we’ve looked good, but not much.

Airdrie on the other hand seem to be playing well and will test our defence. Will be interesting to see how ambitious they are. Everyone else has sat in against us so far. If Airdrie play a more attacking brand of football, we should find more gaps when we get the ball. Unfortunately though, it’s still the same players we would be relying on to take chances/make the most of space. We’ve been so wasteful so far and we need that to change. I think all of our strikers should be capable of that, but they all seem to be suffering a bit of a hangover from Hughes’ management.

Our attack has not struggled to create chances so far, but they've not come up against a defence of much note yet, either. You wouldn't say Dunfermline have had the hardest opening fixtures ever, but managing not to concede at all over 4 league games is still good going. Be interesting to see if either our attack is as potent or their defence is as solid as the opening fixtures would suggest when they collide tomorrow. Wary of this one, they have some decent weapons of their own at least on paper and at home will be expecting to win the game. A victory for either side would cap off an outstanding August. 

I know we're still thin looking in the squad, arguably as thin or thinner than anyone, but I'm not overly concerned about that going into tomorrow. Might live to regret saying that as an injury or two leaves us in bother and we only have a couple of realistic options on the bench to change things if we're struggling, but so far, we've managed very well and even seen subs coming on and contributing. 

Might as well go for it and see how Dunfermline cope. 

Prediction for tomorrow is that we'll be poor, Airdrie will be better and have a lot of chances but we'll take all three points, 1-0 or 2-1. And I'd be absolutely delighted with that, playing poor but winning is the sign of a good team. Hopefully new recruits not far off.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Prediction for tomorrow is that we'll be poor, Airdrie will be better and have a lot of chances but we'll take all three points, 1-0 or 2-1. And I'd be absolutely delighted with that, playing poor but winning is the sign of a good team. Hopefully new recruits not far off.

Quite plausible. Last wee while there has always seemed to be one team we just cannae beat on the day, even when we play better than them. Raith, then Thistle, then Cove. All won the league. That wee grinding result is a bedrock of title winning sides. 

Hopefully this year there aint one, but if there is, every chance it'll be Dunfermline.