Pars vs Airdrie - 27/08/2022

On 21/08/2022 at 22:03, DAFC. said:

If MacDonald is playing, you have to play Todorov IMO. He is the only one that gets in to positions for MacDonald’s crosses. No other striker we have attempts to get in between the lines but if you start him from the get-go, I don’t think he does enough and gets sussed out pretty fast. He is a good option to bring off the bench to cause problems to a tiring defence. We have plenty options attacking wise, but none fill me with much hope. We’ve not got a Nisbet, Kirk etc type striker, otherwise you’re going in to games expecting to score at least a couple.

How’s MacDonald been this season? I liked him when he played for us but I must admit I went right off him in the play-off semi-final v Montrose. Only beaten to being our worst player by Max Currie who sold practically all 5 goals we conceded over the two legs. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

How’s MacDonald been this season?

His not getting a start due to McPake's favoured 4-3-3 formation.

The theme of our season so far is that we have to change to 3-5-2 when it's clear the 4-3-3 doesn't work in the attacking sense.  This where Kyle has come on at right wing back and put some cracking crosses in. Set up Todorov's winner against Montrose. Seems obvious that we should start 3-5-2 but only McPake know why we don't.

This Pars team is a bit like a rescue dog. It is not a group of players McPake would have picked had he not been saddled with already but he has taken them under his wing and quickly grown fond of them. Many of them can’t do basic things like take corners, pass the ball, get the ball on target from 4 yards out and that’s okay.

But.. they are eager to please, are very loyal and hardworking, try and do what the manager tells them. I quite like this group and the attitude they’ve shown this season. Probably get found out on Saturday but we’ve already had good wins and will continue to win plenty of games this year. Can see Airdrie and Falkirk vanish off in 1st & 2nd before long leaving us to have a good scrap with Clyde, Montrose etc for the remaining two play off spots

Genuinely can't call this one. Opted for a 2-2 draw in the predictor but it could be anything. 

Mcdonald is good gong forward but dodgy at the back, which I'd be confident of us exposing if he plays. We do create a lot of chances but waste too many of them. Been saying for ages we look like we could give a team a doing if it all clicks. Can't see that being this week though with the 2 best defences meeting each other, so a tight, nervy yaffair I think. 

Highest test yet for Rhys but he's stood up well so far and has us playing some great football. So as long as we continue to stick to that, without over playing it at the back, then we have a chance of getting the win. 

Would be happy enough with a draw though. 

This Pars team is a bit like a rescue dog. It is not a group of players McPake would have picked had he not been saddled with already but he has taken them under his wing and quickly grown fond of them. Many of them can’t do basic things like take corners, pass the ball, get the ball on target from 4 yards out and that’s okay.
But.. they are eager to please, are very loyal and hardworking, try and do what the manager tells them. I quite like this group and the attitude they’ve shown this season. Probably get found out on Saturday but we’ve already had good wins and will continue to win plenty of games this year. Can see Airdrie and Falkirk vanish off in 1st & 2nd before long leaving us to have a good scrap with Clyde, Montrose etc for the remaining two play off spots
Positive comment about Falkirk? That actually might merit a Greenie from Marshmallo.

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

How’s MacDonald been this season? I liked him when he played for us but I must admit I went right off him in the play-off semi-final v Montrose. Only beaten to being our worst player by Max Currie who sold practically all 5 goals we conceded over the two legs. 

Apart from the opening game, he has been effective as an impact sub. He creates plenty chances and is hellish to play against because he is very strong and quick. A nightmare for defenders when they have been playing 70 minutes of football. Never came off against Kelty, but he was causing problems and Todorov did have a chance right at the death from a MacDonald cross but it went narrowly wide. I would start him and Mochrie out wide if we are going for this 4-3-3 tactic because fudging 3 strikers up front won't cut it. 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

He's not had any defensive duties when he's played, has been coming on as either a right winger in a 433 or a RWB when we're on top. He's fairly effective going forward. 

Before the season started, and with our very light squad, i thought that 10 points from our first 5 games would have been a pretty decent start.  Be interested in how we match up against Dunfermline as they have a lot of players from last season that competed in a league where there didn't appear to be much between all the sides.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Before the season started, and with our very light squad, i thought that 10 points from our first 5 games would have been a pretty decent start.  Be interested in how we match up against Dunfermline as they have a lot of players from last season that competed in a league where there didn't appear to be much between all the sides.

I don't know if we did. We certainly took part in a league last season, but we didn't compete.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Hiya Yogi

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

We were utter, utter shite and thoroughly deserved relegation. No idea how we managed not to finish bottom, but that must show how bad Queens must have been. 

The championship last season was mostly split into a marginally decent half and a completely hopeless half.

The fact that we were as bad as we were and yet were as close to survival as we were is still astonishing. Completely deserved what we got in the end regardless.

Already seen much more fight in our team this season even if the quality hasn’t been brilliant. I’m hopeful that will come though, would be great to see it on Saturday.