Dumbarton vs Elgin City

Good crowd and a good amount of youngsters coming a long to the games. They seemed to have got rid of the crazy ones so long may it continue. 

We didn’t really turn up today but we ground out the result. If I were an Elgin fan I would be raging giving away two penalties. Especially the second, I think there were three penalties in one with the amount of pushing, kicking etc.

Carswell seems to have found his place, Lynas at RB is solid, Gray (ginger magician) just has so much energy and Wilson is starting to build his confidence again.

if we can get a fit line up of McKee, Gray, McLean, Blair and Wilson with Love up top then I think we’ll do well this season.

There seems a good buzz about the place which is great to see.

Edited by Sons Fan

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I see Sevco fans are still having an absolute meltdown on Twitter about Love. You’d genuinely think it was a Keane-on-Haaland level of tackle the way they’re crying about it.

Ally Love has absolutely endeared himself to me now!

I see even the Elgin fans are getting it too.

3 hours ago, kenrobell said:

Biggest crowd of the season yet and the was hardly any visitors

Not to go all Falkirk here, but our crowd yesterday was the highest published at a part-time team across L1 and L2. 688. Although I suspect Bonnyrigg had more, it's just not on the BBC website.

There were 40 or so Elgin fans, so that points to a really healthy home turnout. I remember the Peterhead game last year we had about 300 in attendance with a similar away support to Elgin's. Winning games = healthy turnouts. Regardless of the level. Between that and the amount of merch I'm seeing everywhere the club must be making some good money, which is nice to see.

He didn’t the ref should have booked him but deliberately booked his team mate so he didn’t have to send him for early bath
We are of course in cahoots with the referee in order to not send one of our players off, the same referee that awarded Dumbarton 2 penalties [emoji2955]

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Good crowd and a good amount of youngsters coming a long to the games. They seemed to have got rid of the crazy ones so long may it continue. 

We didn’t really turn up today but we ground out the result. If I were an Elgin fan I would be raging giving away two penalties. Especially the second, I think there were three penalties in one with the amount of pushing, kicking etc.

Carswell seems to have found his place, Lynas at RB is solid, Gray (ginger magician) just has so much energy and Wilson is starting to build his confidence again.

if we can get a fit line up of McKee, Gray, McLean, Blair and Wilson with Love up top then I think we’ll do well this season.

There seems a good buzz about the place which is great to see.

Interesting choice of players there. Assuming you mean C Wilson but I'm not convinced he will ever return to fitness. I also don't fancy Love up top and also think it is slightly harsh on Byrne. What we have been working with for me but with McLean in for Orsi (who hasn't been the worst but McLean is more effective).

16 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

We are of course in cahoots with the referee in order to not send one of our players off, the same referee that awarded Dumbarton 2 penalties emoji2955.png

Oh my! Because it's not possible that the 2 penalties were stonewallers but he made a mistake or bottled it to show a red after already having had to give 2 penalties. Don't think anyone has suggested he was in favour of Elgin particularly. 

We are of course in cahoots with the referee in order to not send one of our players off, the same referee that awarded Dumbarton 2 penalties [emoji2955]

How do you know the ref wasn’t a gambler with something on the game dubious decision he had a good view of the incident yet put a different player in the book ….now he’s either done that for reasons we don’t know or he’s really incompetent books number four for second time doesn’t realise and play on realises later and changes … which is also unlikely as surely he checks his book before he books another player

I'm fairly certain that, despite it appearing that McHardy was booked twice, the ref knew who he booked. Confused the life out of us on Comms mind you.

I actually thought he was fine. The first goal was a howler from the standside assistant, and the ref was a bit card happy, but I'm not sure he actually got many decisions wrong.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm fairly certain that, despite it appearing that McHardy was booked twice, the ref knew who he booked. Confused the life out of us on Comms mind you.

I actually thought he was fine. The first goal was a howler from the standside assistant, and the ref was a bit card happy, but I'm not sure he actually got many decisions wrong.

He booked Lynas for his second soft foul in a few minutes and from that point on had set a marker for a booking, which led to him dishing out silly bookings the rest of the game. 10 yellows in a game that didn't have a bad tackle in it really.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Interesting choice of players there. Assuming you mean C Wilson but I'm not convinced he will ever return to fitness. I also don't fancy Love up top and also think it is slightly harsh on Byrne. What we have been working with for me but with McLean in for Orsi (who hasn't been the worst but McLean is more effective).

Yeh C Wilson, there is a player in there. We just need to get him in the right head space.

I think the officials were generally poor but they are most weeks at this level. The ball was clearly out for Elgins first but that was over Galway up the pitch we should have dealt with it.

1 hour ago, kenrobell said:

How do you know the ref wasn’t a gambler with something on the game dubious decision he had a good view of the incident yet put a different player in the book ….now he’s either done that for reasons we don’t know or he’s really incompetent books number four for second time doesn’t realise and play on realises later and changes … which is also unlikely as surely he checks his book before he books another player

Thsts a shocking accusation to make and one u should rescind. There's one thing criticising refs but then suggesting he is corrupt is out of order.

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

Thsts a shocking accusation to make and one u should rescind. There's one thing criticising refs but then suggesting he is corrupt is out of order.

Aye, leave that nonsense to the OF hordes.

Moonster is correct about the ref booking Lynas and setting the tone but in fairness most of the yellow cards that followed were merited by that standard.  Byrne's was maniacal - carded for wanting an Elgin player booked after we were awarded a free kick.

Final word about the ref; a Sons player revealed post-match that the ref cheerfully admitted as the teams took to the park for the second half that the ball was out of play in the lead up to Elgin's goal.  Nothing then anyone could do about it, just like the 'goal' Annan were convinced they had scored here a few weeks back.

Shit happens, but it tends to balance itself out over the season.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A reminder that 'what happened just a few days ago" was that Ally Love was booked for a challenge. 

One of them has also tried reporting us to the SFA via a tweet because “A Scottish football club member trolling another Scottish football club on social media is a breach of guidlines”. They are an absolute crackpot of a fan base.

Yesterday was most definitely a game of two halves - I haven’t seen much of us this season so perhaps my expectations were a bit too high based on the results but in that 1st half we were absolutely dreadful! I didn’t think we were great in the 2nd half either but it was a marked improvement from the 1st and we done tremendously well to claw that back, albeit it was via 2 penalties. 

I actually think we lack some ball carriers in the team. Bar Finlay Gray our players tend to just look for a pass ASAP and when you are struggling to string two passes together it is impossible to get up the park. I think MacLean returning will somewhat remedy that but I’d like to see guys like Love have a bit more confidence in carrying the ball forward, it’s not even like they need to beat a man, at one point yesterday Love had acres of empty space to run into and favoured a bit diagonal to no one. I thought Carswell and Buchanan were tremendous yesterday and I was impressed with the heart and endevour of wee Lynas, who despite lacking a bit of quality on the ball, really does give everything he has. Finlay Gray is fast becoming my favourite player in the team, his energy levels are ridiculous.

All in all I’m not going to grumble, it was a fanstastic record breaking result for us and I was absolutely buzzing with it. 

As an aside - there were definitely a couple of scouts down watching young Gray yesterday. When Orsi was getting subbed off it looked like Gray was the one being hooked as he wandered over towards the dugout - a guy with a clipboard and notepad went jogging down the stairs and when he realised Gray was staying on the park he retreated back to his seat. I’d be going baws oot to get that lad tied down for another season.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Yeh C Wilson, there is a player in there. We just need to get him in the right head space.

I think the officials were generally poor but they are most weeks at this level. The ball was clearly out for Elgins first but that was over Galway up the pitch we should have dealt with it.

I hope I'm wrong but he is so far off it at this stage he'll be lucky to get in the starting line up this side of Christmas. It isn't even his fitness that's an issue, when he gets the ball at his feet he very rarely finds a man and is often found jumping into silly tackles because he is behind play.

You still on the lash or are you always like this? There's no conspiracy against Dumbarton ffs [emoji23]

23 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I hope I'm wrong but he is so far off it at this stage he'll be lucky to get in the starting line up this side of Christmas. It isn't even his fitness that's an issue, when he gets the ball at his feet he very rarely finds a man and is often found jumping into silly tackles because he is behind play.

Need to agree here, not seen anything to suggest his confidence is coming back and should be starting.  Hope he does get it back mind you.

You still on the lash or are you always like this? There's no conspiracy against Dumbarton ffs [emoji23]

Yet again where have a said their was a conspiracy against Dumbarton theirs a number of reason why referees are incompetent I’ll finish by telling you to go away back and f**k a sheep