Cheap as Chips

On 18/08/2022 at 20:42, supermik said:

Lidl and Aldi sell theee best rump and ribeye steaks in the country imo.

I know from someone that works in the supply chain, that on the conveyer belt the mark and spencers and watrose chutes are before the lidl one so when thier quota is met the very same meat then goes into the Lidl chute

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yeah agreed though my concern is when they start talking about planned blackouts.

There aren't going to be planned household blackouts and even if there were, Scotland in January is nature's freezer. 

In fact if you have external/cellar storage then you could probably turn the fridge/freezer off for four months, store your food there and nothing of consequence would be lost.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

There aren't going to be planned household blackouts and even if there were, Scotland in January is nature's freezer. 

In fact if you have external/cellar storage then you could probably turn the fridge/freezer off for four months, store your food there and nothing of consequence would be lost.

Well... There were no fridges in the student halls in Aberdeen in my first year so folk kept butter and milk in a plastic bag suspended from the window handle 

What they didn't reckon on was the common Aberdeen scorrie being a total b*****d. I gave up taking milk in tea and coffee and hid my butter under a saucepan on the window ledge but not before I'd lost butter and milk to the seagulls 

When I was young one of the neighbouring  first floor flats (1912) had a box like structure built onto the outside next to the kitchen window. My granny told me it was an outdoor larder from the days before fridges.

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Get an old person to go for your messages on a Tuesday to Iceland or the Food Warehouse: 10% off.

https://sustainability.iceland.co.uk/news/iceland-becomes-the-first-uk-supermarket-to-offer-special-discount-for-over-60s/

I'd go for you, but you won't be surprised to learn I don't live in the city.

Never thought about this, good point, don't overstock then.

Since cooking costs impact on the budget, things like using a microwave for a single cup of tea rather than putting on an electricity guzzling kettle

Hmm... I don't pay for the leccy at work and have a large thermos flask...

Money saved :thumsup2

Do it in the slow cooker in about a litre or so of apple juice. [emoji519] 4 hours or so will do it.
Will try that and I really need a bigger slow cooker as the one I have is fine for a wee casserole but won't take a big joint of meat. Would be a good investment in current times.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Well... There were no fridges in the student halls in Aberdeen in my first year so folk kept butter and milk in a plastic bag suspended from the window handle

Did they have one of these as well?

See the source image

On 18/08/2022 at 20:15, Bairnardo said:

I suppose some other more specific things could be that chicken thighs are cheaper and taste better than breast.

A whole chicken is tremendous value compared to packaged cuts of any sort.

And f**k Asda, tesco, sainsburys etc. Lidl or Aldi all the way.

So what do you do....   midnight visits to farms, kill your own....  ?

Edited by beefybake

On 18/08/2022 at 18:26, Alert Mongoose said:

We are clearly all going to be financially destitute in the near future so what good meals can you suggest which will be cheap but decent.

I'll start with rediscovering liver (in a cheese omelette) which I made for the family tonight. The six year old refused to eat it but both the wife and I thought it was excellent. 

Estimated cost pp approx 76p.

I don't fancy the liver/cheese/omelette combination, sounds as stomach turning as tripe.

Though seriously considering liver and fried onions in gravy + mash potatoes. Old school and unfashionable these

days, but I loved it as a kid.  Tasty , cheap, and healthy, ( Not for the cow obv. )

Edited by beefybake

25 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I don't fancy the liver/cheese/omelette combination, sounds as stomach turning as tripe.

Though seriously considering liver and fried onions in gravy + mash potatoes. Old school and unfashionable these

days, but I loved it as a kid.  Tasty , cheap, and healthy, ( Not for the cow obv. )

Bin the liver and have sausages.