Things You Learned Today

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Apparently skidmarks is not an exclusively Scottish term. 

It featured in an old episode of Sex in the City (I know -  my wife watches this absolute tripe). 

Every day is a schoolday

We had a boy in our class called Mark who regularly shat his pants (aged 10). He got called skidmark. 

A few weeks ago, I discovered that you get a much easier and closer shave if you shave AFTER being in the shower, rather than before.
40 (forty) years of shaving, and I just discover now.
I am absolutely fucking stunned you didn't know this.

Genuinely. I now question your Larbert traffic complaints given that there's no way they allow you to operate a vehicle.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I didn't learn this today, but I recently discovered that the wee green man on the pedestrian crossing adopts a walking motion,  while the red guy is standing still. 

There is a knob on the underside of the crossing stop button box which rotates when the green man is displayed.

This is for the benefit of blind people.

See the source image

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I didn't learn this today, but I recently discovered that the wee green man on the pedestrian crossing adopts a walking motion,  while the red guy is standing still. 

East Berlin's iconic Ampelmann (literally traffic light man) being a great example of this genre

1200px-Ampelmann.svg.png

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

East Berlin's iconic Ampelmann (literally traffic light man) being a great example of this genre

1200px-Ampelmann.svg.png

The hat is allegedly based on one that DDR General Secretary Erich Honecker wore 

Near Utrecht Station is a crossing with a red Miffy the Rabbit and a Green Miffy the Rabbit. This is because Miffy's creator, Dick Bruna, came from Utrecht 

44 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

The word Ye, as in ye old oak ham or ye olde inn, is actually pronounced the.

It had something to do with early typesetting.

Also Julius Caesar should be pronounced Julius Kaiser 

Old English had a letter that looked a bit like a "p" called Thorn which stood for "th". Icelandic I think still has the letter. Typesetters substituted the letter y for thorn as it was the closest looking letter in the Latin alphabet 

The Scots surname Menzies is pronounced properly "Mingiss" as the Z stands in for a letter in Old Scots called "yogh"

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Old English had a letter that looked a bit like a "p" called Thorn which stood for "th". Icelandic I think still has the letter. Typesetters substituted the letter y for thorn as it was the closest looking letter in the Latin alphabet 

The Scots surname Menzies is pronounced properly "Mingiss" as the Z stands in for a letter in Old Scots called "yogh"

In Dundee we have an area called Menzieshill (pronounced Meenus-hull).

Menzieshill High School was pronounced locally as  "Meenie Heh" or 'Meenie-hull Heh".

The Shop John Menzies was pronounced as "John Men-zeez'.

Then Menzies Campbell came on the political scene and confused us even more!

I remember at primary school somebody from outside the city came in to do something and was going through the class register and called out Sean Menzies "Seen Mingus" to much hilarity.

6 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

In Dundee we have an area called Menzieshill (pronounced Meenus-hull).

Menzieshill High School was pronounced locally as  "Meenie Heh" or 'Meenie-hull Heh".

The Shop John Menzies was pronounced as "John Men-zeez'.

Then Menzies Campbell came on the political scene and confused us even more!

I remember at primary school somebody from outside the city came in to do something and was going through the class register and called out Sean Menzies "Seen Mingus" to much hilarity.

Unfortunately pronounced the same as menses.

11 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

The Owen Paul song my favourite waste of time is not the original.

It was recorded by a guy called Marshall Crenshaw.

Owen Paul was on the Radio 2 "One Hit Wonders show with OJ Borg, and said he recorded it after hearing the Bette Midler cover.

He is also the brother of Brian McGee, the original drummer from Simple Minds