Diamonds v Alloa 20 August

On 18/08/2022 at 14:37, GoalForAirdrie said:

Trying to remember the last time Alloa won here. I know you beat us in 2020 in the League Cup. But I think you need to go back as far as 2011 for your last league victory here, during the Jimmy Boyle days. Jim Lister possibly scoring the winner. 

Our terrible record at Airdrie over the past decade is a little surprising when we had some really good teams in that era, although that also meant we were in a higher league for 6 seasons. Always seemed to struggle even when we were in the same league though. Thinking back to the play-off semi that we eventually won, our performance at Airdrie was absolutely horrific. 

Hopefully get a decent response from Alloa tomorrow. Although we clearly needed a couple of good reinforcements, we looked to be generally moving in the right direction until last Saturday. Didn't see that kind of performance coming. Scougall will be missed if he is injured. Very important that Taggart is on the right and I agreed with the Alloa podcast that Church has earned a recall anyway. I'd give the Miller and Robertson partnership another shot in the middle, still feel that's potentially a good pairing given time. King for Scougall is a shout too and he certainly has the talent for it, but I'd be tempted to put Cawley in there, a player who like King has the game to play the role well,  but who you can also be sure will contribute to the team effort. 

44 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Our terrible record at Airdrie over the past decade is a little surprising when we had some really good teams in that era, although that also meant we were in a higher league for 6 seasons. Always seemed to struggle even when we were in the same league though. Thinking back to the play-off semi that we eventually won, our performance at Airdrie was absolutely horrific. 

I think the only really decent day Alloa fans have ever had at Airdries current ground was winning the Challenge Cup Final there vs Inverness in 1999. That play-off semi final performance was indeed a shocker and we were very fortunate to come away from that with only a single goal deficit.

Like the Airdrie fans referenced, I cant even remember the game right before the play-off semi where Kirkpatrick scored the winner, even though i was definitely there. I think we had already qualified for the play-offs and Im guessing Airdrie were also pretty much there too making it a very low key affair.

As for last season- in the first fixture there we left ourselves with too much to do after Airdries second which was an absolute worldie- but we should have really taken a point on the balance of play. The boxing day game was a disaster sitting incognito amongst Airdrie fans (away supporters banned due to Omicron outbreak) 2 down after a shambolic opening 10 minutes. When Airdries third went in (another cracker) part of me was actually hoping Airdrie would get a few more and perhaps accelerate our previous managers inevitable slide towards the exit door. Alas Euan Henderson put in a consolation goal almost immediately for Alloa to scupper any hopes of that happening.

The podcast with Kevchenko,KierenAAFC and AndyDD is a really good buildup for the game for both sets of fans- worth a listen tomorrow morning pre match if anyone hasnt already done so.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think the only really decent day Alloa fans have ever had at Airdries current ground was winning the Challenge Cup Final there vs Inverness in 1999. 

Earlier in that run we had another good win at Airdrie's ground with a 2-1 victory (back when teams used to take the competition reasonably seriously). I could be misremembering but I'm fairly sure that game was also notable for Martin Nelson scoring past his more famous sibling in the Airdrie goal.

1 hour ago, Dink said:

Earlier in that run we had another good win at Airdrie's ground with a 2-1 victory (back when teams used to take the competition reasonably seriously). I could be misremembering but I'm fairly sure that game was also notable for Martin Nelson scoring past his more famous sibling in the Airdrie goal.

That's right I completely forgot Alloa won there on the road to the final. Every round I'm sure was away wins- Cowdenbeath, Airdrie, Ross County and Stirling Albion.

3 hours ago, Dink said:

Am guessing you mean Mark Nelson ?

Yeah, that'll be right. TBF I get my girls' names mixed up half of the time so correctly remembering footballers from 20 odd years ago is always likely to be a stretch.

Edited by Dink

We're toothless up front as per usual,being left behind at the bottom of the league again going on today's results so far.Very indifferent recruitment,with only young lads on the bench,going to be a very long season.I for one am quite concerned,although I realise others are less so.

Thought we were decidedly average today and Alloa were decidedly more average. Crafted enough chances to win the game comfortably but for whatever reason couldn’t get the ball over the line. Gabby’s finish was top class and Gallagher did what Gallagher does. Defensively young Johnson bailed us out on a few occasions from nothing more than half chances right enough. I actually felt it was torture to watch today with lots of slow, sideways and backwards passing that didn’t really go anywhere, but I suppose I want to think it bodes well that we haven’t put a complete performance on (and we don’t have a complete squad) while taking our highest points haul from the first four games in over a decade.

7 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Thought we were decidedly average today and Alloa were decidedly more average. Crafted enough chances to win the game comfortably but for whatever reason couldn’t get the ball over the line. Gabby’s finish was top class and Gallagher did what Gallagher does. Defensively young Johnson bailed us out on a few occasions from nothing more than half chances right enough. I actually felt it was torture to watch today with lots of slow, sideways and backwards passing that didn’t really go anywhere, but I suppose I want to think it bodes well that we haven’t put a complete performance on (and we don’t have a complete squad) while taking our highest points haul from the first four games in over a decade.

Think  on the plus side most of the chances we create will hit the net one of those weeks, let it be next week, ♦️♦️♦️

That game could have ended about 6-2 but I’m relieved to come away with a fairly comfortable win in the end. Other than a couple of short spells in either half, I thought we controlled the game pretty well and certainly looked the more threatening team. All of our forwards caused problems today and while we lacked quality in the box, we did enough to get our goals which were enough. We need to be a bit sharper with that going forward though, as we saw against Edinburgh we won’t get away with that every week. 

Murray Johnson did well again and pulled off his now weekly top class save. Fordyce was a bit shaky at times and we caused ourselves a few problems which like last week we were fortunate to get away with. We might not get the same luck next week if we’re still as careless around our box. 

Alloa looked ok without ever really getting going. They still have a decent nucleus of their team from recent years but they’re all that bit older now and the other players around them (Church, MacIver, the subs etc) aren’t quite at the same level. They’ll be fine this season but they’re a bit below ourselves and Queen of the South based on what I’ve seen so far.

We got the win which was deserved,even if there were a couple of narrow squeaks to let Murray show how good a goalie he is.

Lots of overplaying and final decisions being dodgy but I think it was quite enjoyable and not really just average. When finally Rhys put in a direct over the defence pass it was well drilled in by Gabby. Pity he got a knock but it meant Gal was on to do a Gal. It was a great assist by Jamieson. 

I thought Alloa looked much like last season in that they had good if safe passing spells but lacked that cutting edge. Their back four was quite resolute and I think they will be in mid table area again

. Calum Smith had one of those days and he needs a goal so against Dunfermline seems a fair place to start.

Top of League and much better start sees me comfortably relaxed after my Saturday curry .

On another day would have been a draw/interesting end. 

I've been to Airdrie and watched us be awful for 90 minutes. That wasn't what it was today. If I was re-doing my predictions I'd peg another second place finish for the Diamonds.

We need a bit of luck with the woodwork. Just like has been highlighted plenty of times there's not enough goals in this team to mount any serious challenge but we've certainly made today a passable contest despite what some people will say that the stats show.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've been to Airdrie and watched us be awful for 90 minutes. That wasn't what it was today. If I was re-doing my predictions I'd peg another second place finish for the Diamonds.

We need a bit of luck with the woodwork. Just like has been highlighted plenty of times there's not enough goals in this team to mount any serious challenge but we've certainly made today a passable contest despite what some people will say that the stats show.

A draw? 2-0 flattered yous we could have/should have scored 4 or 5 without playing at our best 

7 minutes ago, Afc88 said:

A draw? 2-0 flattered yous we could have/should have scored 4 or 5 without playing at our best 

I could've used the force to direct Sammon's header and O'Donnell's cross into the net and we'd have won it without playing at our best. Count yourself lucky.

Coming back to reality these are the fine margins that make a football game. Our effort off the woodwork was palmed away, I've not seen the full quality clip but pretty sure the footage shows Johnson touches the ball after it hits the cross bar from Sammon and knocks it away from a Cawley sitter. Cawley smashes the ball a mile over from the O'Donnell cross while Jamieson's efforts lands to Gallagher and an open goal. Of course there was the chance of the first half with MacIver 1v1 vs Johnson and hit it straight at him. Was an enjoyable watch regardless.

25 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Well that is optomistic to say the least ,  we got what we deserved and it could have been worse ditch the rose tinted specs Leodhas .

13 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I could've used the force to direct Sammon's header and O'Donnell's cross into the net and we'd have won it without playing at our best. Count yourself lucky.

Coming back to reality these are the fine margins that make a football game. Our effort off the woodwork was palmed away, I've not seen the full quality clip but pretty sure the footage shows Johnson touches the ball after it hits the cross bar from Sammon and knocks it away from a Cawley sitter. Cawley smashes the ball a mile over from the O'Donnell cross while Jamieson's efforts lands to Gallagher and an open goal. Of course there was the chance of the first half with MacIver 1v1 vs Johnson and hit it straight at him. Was an enjoyable watch regardless.

We could say the same about the multiple chances we should have taken. Ie the 30ish pass move that tore you're team apart, only to be missed from a couple yards out. 

So I'd say a 2-0 defeat was you getting off lightly. We missed several good chances by not even hitting the target when we should have. Our keeper saved your best chance so that goes down as good defending. 😛

16 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Well that is optomistic to say the least ,  we got what we deserved and it could have been worse ditch the rose tinted specs Leodhas .

Not saying that it wasn't deserved at all. Chasing shadows for much of the game but if I'm changing the fabric of space-time it'd be much easier to nudge the Sammon header or the O'Donnell cross which happened at 1-0 than magic up another 3 or 4 Airdrie goals.

Anyway here's the man with the plan:

Edited by LeodhasXD

Last week we pump Falkirk 4-0 and all their fans are saying it wasn’t a pumping.

I wasn’t at the game today but from looking at the stats I don’t see where Airdrie got lucky but hey ho.

Looking forward to hearing what Dunfermline fans say next week if we win. IMG_5949.jpg