Diamonds v Alloa 20 August

Can't see a thread for this thrilling fixture, so here goes.

Happy to take a point at Palmerston and hope a win comes our way on Saturday.

Watched Alloa v Edinburgh City highlights. Alloa looked to face a few quick breaks and were a bit pedestrian at the back. I like Andy Graham but he may be showing his age now.

We've had a better start than Alloa, but they have always been a team capable of causing us issues in the past and I can't imagine this will be any different. I'm hopeful of a win, likely by a single goal margin. If we do win I think it's fair to say that any Airdrie fan would have bitten your hand off for a 10 point return after 4 games before the season started. So that has to be the target.

Probably one of the hardest fixtures we could get after a disappointing day last Saturday against Edinburgh.

After Chipper's interview post-Edi, I expect some changes. Taggart more naturally on the right and Church, who was positive when he came on, being the first of those. Wouldn't be surprised to see Graham drop to the bench and go to a more traditional back 4. 

Been a worrying few weeks with Scougall with two different injuries stopping him finishing the game. Didn't seem the same optimism in the presser that he will be fit for Saturday but we do know the manager loves his mind games and leaving us on edge. If he is fit, he starts, of course. If not, gives the opportunity for Adam King or Bradley Rodden.

I would take a point now, to be honest. Interesting to see above that Airdrie think we have caused problems in the past, maybe at home, but I don't remember too many great days out away to Airdrie. Need to be more resolute at the back and gain some confidence for Hogarth and his backline. Our strikers aren't going to grab tons of goals, so it is imperative we start to feel solid and confident at the back. 

11 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Can't tell whether it's funny or just plain sad that any manager would try and play mind games at this level.

Insightful comment from Dunfermline's performance director.

As a minimum every manager should probably be playing the mind game with selection of his own team. Dick Campbell likes to trumpet that one. Church's been a recipient recently but he's been pretty handy coming off the bench. It looks to have inspired him to action. Also might say to some of the boys on the bench there's a good chance to start in the team this week if they work hard and secure a place going forward.

We all do opposition analysis on each other...even at this level. it's an easy way to undermine that.

1% and all that.

10 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Insightful comment from Dunfermline's performance director.

As a minimum every manager should probably be playing the mind game with selection of his own team. Dick Campbell likes to trumpet that one. Church's been a recipient recently but he's been pretty handy coming off the bench. It looks to have inspired him to action. Also might say to some of the boys on the bench there's a good chance to start in the team this week if they work hard and secure a place going forward.

We all do opposition analysis on each other...even at this level. it's an easy way to undermine that.

1% and all that.

lol

Can't wait to see how Brian Rice uses his clever mind games when Alloa slip to their 3rd defeat in four weeks on Saturday.

27 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

lol

Can't wait to see how Brian Rice uses his clever mind games when Alloa slip to their 3rd defeat in four weeks on Saturday.

That'll actually be on form - we're already on 3 defeats in 4 weeks. Can't slip to a level you're already at.

16 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Shameless plug for the podcast, preview of this week starts from about 20 minutes in and @AndyDD joins us later on to look at things from an Airdrie point of view

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Enjoyed doing this, a good chat. 

Really looking forward to the game, but expect Alloa to show a reaction to a bad defeat last week. An early goal and we should probably stroll this, but if Alloa can keep us from scoring even until half time, they'll get a huge boost in belief.

Show the same level of movement and interchange middle to front, though, and they will really struggle to live with us. What a great return 10 points would be, compared to our start last season. 

As I point out in the above podcast, though, you're not always able to tell much from the opening three games. Just look at how Cove and ourselves started last season. 

I'd take a point right now. Hoping for a better performance from a lot of our key players this week.

Hopefully last week was a blip defensively, other two games we've looked ok at the back.

Be interested to see if Rice changes the lineup or formation.

Never a good place to go for us , and not expecting anything

Like some

I would take a draw right now 

but I can't see it , If rice keeps playing the same strange formation 

i can see us struggling for a while 

looking forward to seeing Craig Howie back  .

27 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Trying to remember the last time Alloa won here. I know you beat us in 2020 in the League Cup. But I think you need to go back as far as 2011 for your last league victory here, during the Jimmy Boyle days. Jim Lister possibly scoring the winner. 

Apparently Alloa beat us 1-0 in Airdrie in April 2017, a few weeks before those play-off games. Jordan Kirkpatrick scored the winner. I have absolutely no memory of this game but looking at the team, Joe Gorman, Jack McKay, Ryan Conroy, Simon Mensing and Kyle Hutton all played, so no wonder I've blocked it out. 

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Apparently Alloa beat us 1-0 in Airdrie in April 2017, a few weeks before those play-off games. Jordan Kirkpatrick scored the winner. I have absolutely no memory of this game but looking at the team, Joe Gorman, Jack McKay, Ryan Conroy, Simon Mensing and Kyle Hutton all played, so no wonder I've blocked it out. 

Oh yeah, you’re right! I have no memory of that game either for the exact same reasons 😂😂

Feeling reasonably composed about this on home form being good over last season.

But it will be another tough game if we don't score first. Alloa away two goal defeat was one of our worst games and looking back, it has been "easier" at home. 

So I've gone for a narrow home win , but I am way behind in the prediction League!