Deposit Return Recycling Scheme

NorthernLights

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Highlighting potential obstacles to its success doesn't mean you disagree with the underlying principle

Absolutely no problem with potential obstacles being highlighted/discussed. The DPB post at first reply summarily dismisses the idea out of hand in yet another attack of the SG with no discussion. 

3 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Absolutely no problem with potential obstacles being highlighted/discussed. The DPB post at first reply summarily dismisses the idea out of hand in yet another attack of the SG with no discussion. 

Tbf to DPB here he attacked the general incompetence of the SG / inability to execute any of its headline plans rather than the scheme itself.

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I’m gonna hold the middle ground here, because recycling is actually a very important issue. Why not make it law that containers have to be recycled, without requiring a price increase?

20p per container is not justifiable when families are already struggling.

The point is though, that it’s a deposit, you aren’t losing the money as you go and get it back again when you return the bottles.

The scheme sounds pretty decent and I hope people make it work.

The amount of litter on the streets, in parks and woodland etc is horrendous.

It’s a sad sign of how far society has backslidden that we essentially have to bribe people to play their part, but I’m still glad we’re doing it.  In an ideal society we wouldn’t even require street sweepers.

I don’t agree with the slater that there’s a climate emergency though.  Hyperbolic nonsense.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

42 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The point is though, that it’s a deposit, you aren’t losing the money as you go and get it back again when you return the bottles.

Those who can afford the 20p or multiples of are not gonna notice, that’s true.

There will be real instances tho of parents and families with such erratic domestic situations that they will never see the money back. Again the poorest are penalised.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

I was in Germany about 8 years ago and the supermarket had a machine that you fed plastic bottles and juice tins into. It then gave you a ticket worth x amount that was as good as cash in the shop. There were folk queued up to use it all the time. 

33 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I was in Germany about 8 years ago and the supermarket had a machine that you fed plastic bottles and juice tins into. It then gave you a ticket worth x amount that was as good as cash in the shop. There were folk queued up to use it all the time. 

They also had this system in Denmark when I was there a few years ago.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Yeah, every supermarket I've been in in Berlin usually has someone at the recycling point firing bottles and cans into the machine. 

If you are in any parts of the city where on-street drinking is common, so pretty much everywhere, if you stick a beer bottle in a public bin it's usually no more than five minutes before somebody turns up with a bag or trolley and takes it for recycling. It's not usually homeless folks or people with obvious addiction issues etc, more often it's students and hipster types because the return can actually be quite lucrative.

At one point a few years ago I was buying 500ml bottles of local beer for 49c and getting half that back on the return of the bottle :lol::cheers

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

You lose the money when you actually pay for the product and the return of that deposit is contingent. 

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

At one point a few years ago I was buying 500ml bottles of local beer for 49c and getting half that back on the return of the bottle :lol::cheers

Used to do same with crates of Grolsch in Amsterdam, hard to understand why it isn't standard practice.

I was in San Francisco in June and they've recently launched something similar.  You do see homeless people raking through the bins, filling bags with empties to return. 

Sums up the state of the world when in arguably the wealthiest city on the planet, people are raking through bins to survive. 

5 hours ago, Left Back said:

So you’re being disincentivised to put them in your recycling bin or you  lose your deposit?

Well it’s a choice, if it’s like Germany there would be machines for returning in Supermarkets and other public places, as well as some of the shops themselves doing it, so it’s not hard to reclaim the money back again. If you choose not to and dispose of it elsewhere, it’s your choice.

5 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Those who can afford the 20p or multiples of are not gonna notice, that’s true.

There will be real instances tho of parents and families with such erratic domestic situations that they will never see the money back. Again the poorest are penalised.

Why would they not see the money back though? They would get it back if they take the bottles to the supermarket. I’d get it if they had to go far to reclaim the cash but in other countries there’s usually plenty of shops or machines around, so nobody has to travel very far with it.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Well it’s a choice, if it’s like Germany there would be machines for returning in Supermarkets and other public places, as well as some of the shops themselves doing it, so it’s not hard to reclaim the money back again. If you choose not to and dispose of it elsewhere, it’s your choice.

I assume we’ll be getting money off our council tax bill then seeing as there will be less work for the bin-men as this will no doubt be used as an excuse to cut back on collection of recycling bins.

37 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I assume we’ll be getting money off our council tax bill then seeing as there will be less work for the bin-men as this will no doubt be used as an excuse to cut back on collection of recycling bins.

There won’t be less work for the bin men. Still plenty of general waste to go around and given they don’t bother coming for ages anyway, hopefully it’ll mean less shite falling out of the overflowing bins tbh.

We all/well c***s around my age grew up with the glass cheques that irn bru came in. 

Simply take your empties back to the chippie/newsagent and get solid cash back. Or in most cases it was traded for something deep fried with everyhing oan it.