Celtic v Hearts. 21st August.

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

95/96  Van Hooijdonk was already in, then they spunked £2m quid on Andreas Thom. Later came the likes of Cadete, Di Canio, McNamara, Weighorst, plus about £4m on Stubbs.

The year after rangers signed laudrup and the year they signed gascoinge to add their 8 in a row winning squad.  You’re right, def glory hunters. 

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

The year after rangers signed laudrup and the year they signed gascoinge to add their 8 in a row winning squad.  You’re right, def glory hunters. 

Nobody is saying Rangers didn't spend. But so did Celtic.

This idea that Celtic were the plucky underdog and Rangers were stick-ons for 10 is just nonsense, and anyone who can remember it can tell you that.

Celtic should arguably have won the league in 95/96 and with better luck could have done in 96/97 (although I think Rangers overall deserved it that year).

By 97/98 there was absolutely no reason for Celtic to be seen as some kind of underdogs. But Old Firm fans MUST at all times paint their wins as heroic.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Nobody is saying Rangers didn't spend. But so did Celtic.

This idea that Celtic were the plucky underdog and Rangers were stick-ons for 10 is just nonsense, and anyone who can remember it can tell you that.

Celtic should arguably have won the league in 95/96 and with better luck could have done in 96/97 (although I think Rangers overall deserved it that year).

By 97/98 there was absolutely no reason for Celtic to be seen as some kind of underdogs. But Old Firm fans MUST at all times paint their wins as heroic.

You and I must have a def definition of glory hunter, Celtic sold out the stadium and the fans backed the club after a decade of nothing.

A glory hunter is someone who follows a team due to the fact they are successful, if you’re pinning that on Celtic fans I’d maybe choose another era mate. 

Just now, Drew Brees said:

You and I must have a def definition of glory hunter, Celtic sold out the stadium and the fans backed the club after a decade of nothing.

A glory hunter is someone who follows a team due to the fact they are successful, if you’re pinning that on Celtic fans I’d maybe choose another era mate. 

You're doing the usual OF thing of playing dumb and completely ignoring the context.

By season ticket sale time in summer 1995 Celtic fans had 'endured' a whole seven years since their last title win. They had a new stadium and a wealthy new backer who had already shown he was investing in the team. They had just won the Scottish Cup and it was, to any sensible eyes, completely obvious they would be at least challenging for the title that season and in the seasons to come.

So, the fans came back. This is glory-hunting. Opand and shut case.

32 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Re-writing of history here. Classic Old Firm.

Celtic started to properly spend on the team in 95-96 and there was an obvious feel-good bounce from the new stadium and some actualy footballers in the team. Add in (like Rangers in recent years) the rabid desire to stop 9 in a row, and you've got the perfect situation to get the fairweather fans back in.

Had Fergus bought the club and shown no ability to fund a title-winning side, Celtic would have gone back to impoved crowds at Parkhead initially, but nothing like what they did see.

Going into 95/96 they had won the cup, Van Hooijdonk was already in, then they spunked £2m quid on Andreas Thom. Later came the likes of Cadete, Di Canio, McNamara, Weighorst, plus about £4m on Stubbs.

Everyone knew Rangers had an ageing side by the start of 97/98, and then Celtic added Larsson, Rieper, Burley, Paul Lambert etc.

The direction of travel for Celtic fans was very obvious. But again, this constant NEEEEED to be underdgos means Celtic fans will feed you re-writing of history like the pish above.

Fergus McCann turned the title race into a coin toss, and we all knew it. Even in 96/97, Rangers' winning margin by the end was generous, and things had turned on very small moments.

Rangers won by a five point margin with both teams dropping 12 points in their last 8 games.as they stumbled over the finish line.

whether Celtic were right to sack Tommy Burns for throwing away the title after that is probably a question best left for middle aged Celtic fans to bicker over but it’s clear that if Celtic hadn’t quite taken the lead by the summer of ‘97 but they were up on the Shoulder of the leader

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, the fans came back. This is glory-hunting. Opand and shut case.

Look up the def of glory hunter, 

you aware that hearts have sold a record amount of season tickets this season? 

32 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Robbie was  quite clear in pre season that as we have  two matches a week for the next few months he’s going to rotate the squad rather than simply pick his best Eleven and work them into the ground.

This will irritate a few impatient hearts fans who don’t believe in player fatigue and can’t look beyond the immediate present but even the densest Celtic fans who have more experience of watching their club in group stage football should be able to grasp the logic by now.

It would have been nice for Hearts to get something at Parkhead for once but ultimately Celtic just aren’t as significant as Zurich right now.

It's called players red-lining M8,with the technology available to clubs now, managers and coaching staff know how far to push each player,playing twice a week or having 3 or 4 days to recover and go again is part of the game.
Whether resting players was the right choice or not we will find out on Thursday.

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Rangers won by a five point margin with both teams dropping 12 points in their last 8 games.as they stumbled over the finish line.

whether Celtic were right to sack Tommy Burns for throwing away the title after that is probably a question best left for middle aged Celtic fans to bicker over but it’s clear that if Celtic hadn’t quite taken the lead by the summer of ‘97 but they were up on the Shoulder of the leader

I think sacking Burns was probably right by that point, as I think the job was getting to him and it maybe just needed a fresh approach.

They were a really good side and should have won the league in 95/96. They drew with Kilmarnock twice as we beat Rangers home and away, and that cost them the momentum and belief to get the job done.

They were the best side that season.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

We all know Gordon is one of the best keepers in the country and went for £9 million.
Now hes a free agent hes a shite keeper it makes total sense M8.
The tarts fans wanted their best players rested for the next game at the budgie cage yet players would prefer to play,I hope they get through on Thursday.

Of course he's not shite, he's outstanding.  Hearts though got him for nothing, not 9m.  And he's on a wage nothing like what he's worth because he's 39 and a Hearts fan winding his career down.

We've spent a bit of money, but we didn't spend any of the transfer fees you're quoting on these players, so it's irrelevant that Gordon was, a long time ago, a 9m keeper.  He isn't now.

Yeah. Having won nothing for ten years and with no real reason to believe we will in the next ten.

You have been in 3 Scottish Cup finals in the last 4 seasons and came 3rd by a distance last season but there is no real reason as to why you can’t win something in the next 10 years?

I genuinely don’t get the lack of optimism from Hearts fans

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Of course he's not shite, he's outstanding.  Hearts though got him for nothing, not 9m.  And he's on a wage nothing like what he's worth because he's 39 and a Hearts fan winding his career down.

We've spent a bit of money, but we didn't spend any of the transfer fees you're quoting on these players, so it's irrelevant that Gordon was, a long time ago, a 9m keeper.  He isn't now.

I prefer to think of him as a product of the Hearts Academy anyway

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

You have been in 3 Scottish Cup finals in the last 4 seasons and came 3rd by a distance last season but there is no real reason as to why you can’t win something in the next 10 years?

I genuinely don’t get the lack of optimism from Hearts fans

We might get to another final. It's possible.

But nobody would expect us to win it against one of the OF.

I don't think it would be some mad shock if Hearts (or any non-OF club) won nothing for the next ten years.

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Yeah. Having won nothing for ten years and with no real reason to believe we will in the next ten.

So hope or optimism is the criteria you use to gauge a glory hunter?

Calling Celtic fans glory hunters isn’t a new thing in here and some may have a point, but using the worst 10 yr spell in the last 60 years to make your point is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here, and this is a forum where bennet has 35,000 posts. 

Edited by Drew Brees

7 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

So hope or optimism is the criteria you use to gauge a glory hunter?

Calling Celtic fans glory hunters isn’t a new thing in here and some may have a point, but using the worst 10 yr spell in the last 60 years to make your point is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here, and this is a forum where bennet has 35,000 posts. 

It's not dumb at all. It's easy to present it that way if you ignore the context of the time.

By summer 1995 it was clear which direction Celtic were moving in. It's silly to see you desperately trying to argue it.

You had a wealthy backer, a new stadium, had just won the cup, and had started spending money on the team. What did Celtic fans expect to happen next?

And it wasn't the worst ten years. It was the worst six years. Then you won the cup and challenged for the title for two years before winning it. Celtic's bad spell was only from summer 89 to summer 95.

From 95 to 98 Celtic won the league, both cups, and narrowly missed out on the title twice.

Edited by VincentGuerin

We might get to another final. It's possible.

But nobody would expect us to win it against one of the OF.

I don't think it would be some mad shock if Hearts (or any non-OF club) won nothing for the next ten years.

If the Scottish Cup for example has been won 4 times in the last 10 years by clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers what’s changed that you think that trend won’t continue?

18 hours ago, bennett said:

That can't be right?

18 hours ago, bennett said:

I thought that the Hearts poster was at it, that's unbelievable. 

Much the same happened a few weeks ago, same ref. If you have f**k all possession it’s likely you are going to pick up cards, this isn’t a phenomenon exclusive to Scottish football I’m sad to tell all the paranoid pnbers on here. It is more likely to happen though due to how much possession both clubs get in most games.

image.thumb.png.78a040f0b1fc4a3d49282c862be79be0.png

Edited by gannonball

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

If the Scottish Cup for example has been won 4 times in the last 10 years by clubs outwith Celtic and Rangers what’s changed that you think that trend won’t continue?

That's pretty misleading, considering the circumstances in Scottish football in that period, as well you know.

The Old Firm have won 5 of the last 6 Scottish Cups and 5 of the last 6 League Cups. The only exception was the weird behind-closed-doors season.