Celtic v Hearts. 21st August.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That word Usually is doing a lot of heavy lifting M8.

I don’t even know what to say :lol: £35M worth of players and another £30 odd million in wages, and you would think Celtic were dragging fans off London Road to play for the team.

Anyway that’s me out, you can’t argue against that. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I don’t even know what to say :lol: £35M worth of players and another £30 odd million in wages, and you would think Celtic were dragging fans off London Road to play for the team.

Anyway that’s me out, you can’t argue against that. 

I wasn't posting about Celtic M8, I was posting about the hearts players.
It's a debate not an argument,not sure where you're getting £35 million from think Celtic have spent about £20. 

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I wasn't posting about Celtic M8, I was posting about the hearts players.
It's a debate not an argument,not sure where you're getting £35 million from think Celtic have spent about £20. 

Jota - £6.5M, Carter-Vickers - £6.3M, Bernabei - £4M, Maeda - £1.5M, Kyogo - £5M, Starfeldt - £4.5M, Abada - £3.5M, Giakoumakis - £2.25M , O’Reilly - £1.5M, Hatate - £1.5M, Hart - £1M, Turnbull - £3M, Ajeti - £5M, Jullien - £7M. 

Your current squad is over £50M. I’ve not included anyone bought for less than £1M. If only the other teams tried harder they could win the league. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Jota - £6.5M, Carter-Vickers - £6.3M, Bernabei - £4M, Maeda - £1.5M, Kyogo - £5M, Starfeldt - £4.5M, Abada - £3.5M, Giakoumakis - £2.25M , O’Reilly - £1.5M, Hatate - £1.5M, Hart - £1M, Turnbull - £3M, Ajeti - £5M, Jullien - £7M. 

Your current squad is closer to £50M. I’ve not included anyone bought for less than £1M. If only the other teams tried harder they could win the league. 

So you're not posting about just this season,you're making my point for me Jullien cost £7 million and Jenz costed nothing yet he has the jersey.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you're not posting about just this season,you're making my point for me Jullien cost £7 million and Jenz costed nothing yet he has the jersey.

I’m talking about your current squad, that’s why I’ve kept using the word ‘squad’. 

Are you really unable to see the vast, vast differences in finances here? It doesn’t matter if Julliens not starting, you paid £7M for him and he’s sitting in the stand, that’s even worse. £50M worth of players and you wonder why teams out with the OF can’t get close to you? You could take the 10 teams and add up all their transfer activity for the last 20 years and it wouldn’t be half what your current squad costs. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m talking about your current squad, that’s why I’ve kept using the word ‘squad’. 

Celtic have a strong squad because we play about 60 games a season,this is a match thread one game anything can happen,if it was predictable we would all be millionaires.
Hearts used their squad just the same as Celtic did M8,you have now moved the debate 3 times.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic have a strong squad because we play about 60 games a season,this is a match thread one game anything can happen,if it was predictable we would all be millionaires.
Hearts used their squad just the same as Celtic did M8,you have now moved the debate 3 times.

No, Celtic have a strong squad because they’ve paid upwards of £50M for it. Hearts don’t have as strong a squad because they’ve paid 1/50th of what you paid. It’s not about ‘using your squad’ when faced with such a financial disadvantage. 

If Celtic moved to a league with PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc., and we’re getting pumped every week, would you be saying you just need to use your squad better? 

21 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

No, Celtic have a strong squad because they’ve paid upwards of £50M for it. Hearts don’t have as strong a squad because they’ve paid 1/50th of what you paid. It’s not about ‘using your squad’ when faced with such a financial disadvantage. 

If Celtic moved to a league with PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc., and we’re getting pumped every week, would you be saying you just need to use your squad better? 

Hearts made 6 or 7 changes for this game M8,the financial disadvantage has got feck all to do with it.
Apart from the start of the second half they were comfortably beaten plus Celtic didn't have £50 million on the park.  

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Hearts made 6 or 7 changes for this game M8,the financial disadvantage has got feck all to do with it.
Apart from the start of the second half they were comfortably beaten plus Celtic didn't have £50 million on the park.  

I give up mate. Well done on your win, your team of multi million pound international players really battled against the odds to put Hearts and their team of free transfers to the sword. 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I give up mate. Well done on your win, your team of multi million pound international players really battled against the odds to put Hearts and their team of free transfers to the sword. 

You were pretty much all over the place M8, a bit like hearts in the first half yip Hearts don't have internationalists.

16 hours ago, imposs1904 said:

The stream I'm watching is from Hearts TV, and it has to be said that the two co-commentators are the least partisan and most balanced commentators I've ever heard from an in-house commentating team. Mainstream football coverage could take some tips from them.

Said it many times on here, pretty much every club's offering could learn from Hearts TV. Treats its audience with a bit of respect and makes for a good watch.

10 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

We can only judge him by his posts. So, no, he does not.

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Just a matter of interest do you still see Gordon as a £9 million pound player,Kingsley as a £3 million pound player and Shankland,Boyce and McKay as £1 million pound players?

That's all I asked M8 and didn't get an answer, he then went off in a tangent about Celtic having £35 million squad then he changed it to £50 million maybe you have an answer as a hearts fan?

On 19/08/2022 at 22:27, JamieThomas said:

Wasn't there a game (Burns era I think so about 1994, I was still in school) that Celtic got about 9000 at home for. Did they close the mines down again for that one

On 19/08/2022 at 22:37, Flybhoy said:

There were a couple of games at the tail end of the 83/84 season that were below 10k, one a midweek game v Dundee after Aberdeen had won the league was around the 8000 mark I seem to recall, that was the last four figure attendance for a competitive home match.

Tommy Burns first season was the Hampden season, most games were around the 20 to 30k bracket but a couple below 20 near the end, including a midweek game v Partick Thistle, Celtic returned to a newly rebuilt stadium the following year and averaged about 30k the first season with just the North Stand and existing Main Stand before the two ends were built.

On 19/08/2022 at 22:43, JamieThomas said:

I mean when he was manager, I'm no in my 60s

On 19/08/2022 at 22:45, Jinky67 said:

No

Some fun Celtic attendances from around that time.

Macari era (93/94): 1/3/94 Celtic 1-0 Killie 9,887. 27/4/94 Celtic 1-1 St Johnstone 10,602.

Also interesting that Celtic got 25,990 for a 0-0 with Hearts (a terrible game I remember being at) and a week later lost more than a third of that crowd for a sub-17k home attendance against Motherwell, proving what we all knew, that for Celtic fans Hearts are pure box office. You can still see this in how excited they were about this weekend's game with our reserves. Bless.

Celtic have loads of crowds that season that are less than Hearts would now get for the corresponding fixtures. Lots of 14,15,16,000 crowds. Old Firm games and Hearts drag the average up.

Burns Hampden era (94/95): Start off generally in the low 20,000s, but by the end of the season they are roughly half-filling Hampden, bowing out with a couple of sub-19,000 crowds for games with Hearts and Thistle. But even during the early parts of the season, run-of-the-mill league games had about 15,000 empty seats at what was then a much smaller Hampden than it is now.

So, scientific proof that Celtic fans are glory-hunting cants.

Edited by VincentGuerin

16 hours ago, Leith Green said:

His second? A push in the back, definite 2nd yellow.

As an aside,  Richard Gordon says that Hearts "can take a lot out of this" 

I think what they can take is - that formation and team wont work full stop.

The 5 corners at the 50 min mark, that was the big chance.

Overall, 31% possession, 1 shot, zero on target, 2 players sent off.

Grim

It's Gordon's job to try and talk things up. That's all he's doing.

Hearts' performance yesterday is totally irrelevant as that's an 11 we'll probably never see again.

2-0 will do fine, added bonus that Sibbick is suspended. Move on.

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are you really unable to see the vast, vast differences in finances here? It doesn’t matter if Julliens not starting, you paid £7M for him and he’s sitting in the stand,

So you think because he cost £7 million he should play every game? Just the same as the hearts manager leaving Gordon,Kingsley and Shankland on the bench.
What has the finances got to do with the manager picking his first 11 M8?

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you think because he cost £7 million he should play every game? Just the same as the hearts manager leaving Gordon,Kingsley and Shankland on the bench.

Their point is that our wins don’t matter because we have more money.

3 minutes ago, stressball said:

Their point is that our wins don’t matter because we have more money.

We all know Gordon is one of the best keepers in the country and went for £9 million.
Now hes a free agent hes a shite keeper it makes total sense M8.
The tarts fans wanted their best players rested for the next game at the budgie cage yet players would prefer to play,I hope they get through on Thursday.

15 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Robbie was  quite clear in pre season that as we have  two matches a week for the next few months he’s going to rotate the squad rather than simply pick his best Eleven and work them into the ground.

This will irritate a few impatient hearts fans who don’t believe in player fatigue and can’t look beyond the immediate present but even the densest Celtic fans who have more experience of watching their club in group stage football should be able to grasp the logic by now.

It would have been nice for Hearts to get something at Parkhead for once but ultimately Celtic just aren’t as significant as Zurich right now.

13 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Fergus McCann took control of Celtic when rangers were on 7 in a row, built a new stadium when they were on 8, opened, expanded and filled it when they were on 9 and they were looking stick on favs to get to 10. In those 9 yrs Celtic had won 1 Scottish cup. Not sure you can call the fans who backed the club and sold out the stadium glory hunters. 

You’re comparing them to fans that we’re going, or not, 30 or 40 yrs ago. 

Re-writing of history here. Classic Old Firm.

Celtic started to properly spend on the team in 95-96 and there was an obvious feel-good bounce from the new stadium and some actual footballers in the team. Add in (like Rangers in recent years) the rabid desire to stop 9 in a row, and you've got the perfect situation to get the fairweather fans back in.

Had Fergus bought the club and shown no ability to fund a title-winning side, Celtic would have gone back to impoved crowds at Parkhead initially, but nothing like what they did see.

Going into 95/96 they had won the cup, Van Hooijdonk was already in, then they spunked £2m quid on Andreas Thom. Later came the likes of Cadete, Di Canio, McNamara, Weighorst, plus about £4m on Stubbs.

Everyone knew Rangers had an ageing side by the start of 97/98, and then Celtic added Larsson, Mahe, Rieper, Burley, Paul Lambert etc.

The direction of travel for Celtic fans was very obvious. But again, this constant NEEEEED to be underdgos means Celtic fans will feed you re-writing of history like the pish above.

Fergus McCann turned the title race into a coin toss, and we all knew it. Even in 96/97, Rangers' winning margin by the end was generous, and things had turned on very small moments.

Edited by VincentGuerin