Jump to content

Tough on crime or tough on the causes of crime?


Recommended Posts

Don’t hear much about that sort of thing where I am but there was a run of break ins in one of the towns not far from here. New estate with a lot of expensive houses, which, ironically, had a fair number or local coppers living in it. c***s are welcome to break into my gaff. There is f**k all worth taking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

police at the time our families cars got nicked told us there'd been a spate of it in the area, as its easier for crooks to get the keys themselves and bugger off to strip the cars for parts than to hotwire the cars themselves. Audi/vw group really popular targets i think, as a lot of the components are interchangeable.

They're able to open (newer) cars nowadays and start them without your keys. 

Edited by Mr. Alli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Downstairs neighbour got tanned a few years ago. Bam Towers has never been tanned mainly because it looks like Steptoe's house and any burglar would break their thieving neck breaking in.

Moral: keep your house a tip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Downstairs neighbour got tanned a few years ago. Bam Towers has never been tanned mainly because it looks like Steptoe's house and any burglar would break their thieving neck breaking in.

Moral: keep your house a tip

Tam shacked up in Bam Towers

image.jpeg.212b0c07a0abf8a719791d25cac193ff.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

They're able to open (newer) cars nowadays and start them without your keys. 

interesting... was about 2006ish our households got nicked so might be outdated.

Have heard focus st's are a popular target for theft too, wonder if they're one of the ones thats relatively easy to bust around/under the steering column to jumpstart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

interesting... was about 2006ish our households got nicked so might be outdated.
Have heard focus st's are a popular target for theft too, wonder if they're one of the ones thats relatively easy to bust around/under the steering column to jumpstart.
Hot wire, not jump start. And that's not how it's done anymore.
You use equipment to boost the signal from the "secure" key in the house and another bit of equipment that picks up the boosted signal and acts as a key. Hey presto, you're in the car and it's started up.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ah ok, dont know much about the trends etc in housebreakings there, but it definitely sounds like folks who knew what they were doing. 

A few years back there was a group of guys going about who were using one of their 11 year old sons to fit through windows that had been left slightly open, in order to steal car keys and rob the motors right off the drive. A woman my mum knew had a conservatory that had those small rectangle windows at the top of it. She had left one of them open and they had managed to fit the young boy through, find the car keys and drive her car out the drive without her waking up out her bed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

A few years back there was a group of guys going about who were using one of their 11 year old sons to fit through windows that had been left slightly open, in order to steal car keys and rob the motors right off the drive. A woman my mum knew had a conservatory that had those small rectangle windows at the top of it. She had left one of them open and they had managed to fit the young boy through, find the car keys and drive her car out the drive without her waking up out her bed. 

Those grand children might be useful after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Downstairs neighbour got tanned a few years ago. Bam Towers has never been tanned mainly because it looks like Steptoe's house and any burglar would break their thieving neck breaking in.

Moral: keep your house a tip

I misread that as "Tam Bowers".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

interesting... was about 2006ish our households got nicked so might be outdated.

Have heard focus st's are a popular target for theft too, wonder if they're one of the ones thats relatively easy to bust around/under the steering column to jumpstart.

My Focus was broken into (about 10 years ago) and they tried unsuccessfully to remove the stereo.  Local plod and the garage explained that there had been a spate of these because of a rumour that the chip in a Focus stereo could be used to get free Sky.  Clearly high end masterminds involved. 

16 hours ago, jagfox said:

As well as the customary away defeat I was contacted by a beighbour that my flat had been broken into yesterday evening. 

Door locks ripped out and seems a "professional" job. Bags filled with what they wanted and off they went.

My neighbour actually saw one of them leaving and another neighbour who is inAmerica at the mo.e t had one of those Ring doorbells which apparently lots them off. 

Had the scene of crime folk around today and hopefully door replaced tomorrow 

Took a laptop and some booze I had gathering dust andan old iPad a kindle and ab even older Samsung my late uncle gave me.

Have any P&Bers been a victim of crime or any advixe on crime prevention? 

I got burgled by my next door neighbour (caught him in the act) who also happened to work for my landlord so was able to give them a name and an alternative address.  The police got loads of prints.  I never heard back. 

15 years on my over-riding memory is the tragicomic sight of a sarsons vinegar bottle with about a half an inch of vinegar in the bottom,  covered in that translucent finger print dust.  They'd bagged that up as part of their highly sophisticated raid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My Focus was broken into (about 10 years ago) and they tried unsuccessfully to remove the stereo.  Local plod and the garage explained that there had been a spate of these because of a rumour that the chip in a Focus stereo could be used to get free Sky.  Clearly high end masterminds involved. 

I got burgled by my next door neighbour (caught him in the act) who also happened to work for my landlord so was able to give them a name and an alternative address.  The police got loads of prints.  I never heard back. 

15 years on my over-riding memory is the tragicomic sight of a sarsons vinegar bottle with about a half an inch of vinegar in the bottom,  covered in that translucent finger print dust.  They'd bagged that up as part of their highly sophisticated raid. 

Man, that's worse. At least I'm sure it wasn't a neighbour. Did the rat get away with it totally then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Man, that's worse. At least I'm sure it wasn't a neighbour. Did the rat get away with it totally then?

I don't know.  It is possible he was charged and convicted but they didn't need anything else from me.  I don't know if there is or was any way to be kept in the loop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't know.  It is possible he was charged and convicted but they didn't need anything else from me.  I don't know if there is or was any way to be kept in the loop. 

Yeah, it's not as if you were a witness I suppose. 

I wonder where all the stuff goes laptop was two years old and they took an old iPad and a kindle. Along with some booze. A couple of hundreds quids worth at best I'd imagine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jagfox, I know you weren't present for the robbery, but I'd recommend writing down everything about it for future reference. You might not need it, but I've been called to give witness evidence about theft a few times, and on two occasions it was a couple of years later and I could barely remember anything about it. I'd completely forgotten about one incident altogether.

Thankfully the defendants all pled guilty, as I'd have been as much use as the proverbial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Taking locks out completely isn't really a quick job but is easy enough done with time and patience.

You'd be surprised at how quickly this can be done, by someone who know what they're doing, they'll have the lock out and in the property in a minute or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Hot wire, not jump start. And that's not how it's done anymore.
You use equipment to boost the signal from the "secure" key in the house and another bit of equipment that picks up the boosted signal and acts as a key. Hey presto, you're in the car and it's started up.

My old man is paranoid about this. He is a retired plumber so constructed a 'safety box' out of off cuts of lead he had lying about 😂

Our student flat got broken into. Was an absolute nightmare as one of my flatmates had a couple of, er, plants growing in the spare room and there was a drawer in the kitchen full of scuddy mags (Inc The Rubberist) in the kitchen for shared use. We had to get the polis round for an insurance reference so the plants went into the attic but fortunately they were more interested in the kitchen drawer so all was well.

Think I got a CD player nicked but managed to a add a video recorder to the insurance report.

Edited by Alert Mongoose
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...