Grass & Goalkeepers - Fort William 2022/23

stulch

On 24/08/2022 at 09:27, Jan Vojáček said:

Did anyone catch the Fight at the Fort documentary last night? I forgot it was on, but wondered if it was worth catching up on?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bgt9/fight-at-the-fort

I did enjoy the claims of “doing it on a shoe string budget” when they signed an entire team from another country, gave them jobs and accommodation and trained full time. 

Just watched it. Thought it was quite good at showing the lives of the players, hopefully the new manager will have more knowledge of football outside FM, from what I saw of them last season they had some decent players but their tactics were naïve in the extreme, run around like headless chickens until they're knackered and letting the opposition take over. Have to feel sympathy for the players. Total stitch up of the Highland League though, tiny edited snippets of the Secretary trying to explain how it went amidst diatribes from the Chairman and others putting out conspiracy theories. If they gave him 5  minutes to explain the Highland League's side of things, even just reading out the statement in full when Fort pulled out of the play offs, then fair enough. Anyone who watched it without knowledge of what went on will have no idea of the utterly unplayable state of the pitch before the season started, and that despite not bothering to roll, mow and line the pitch for the pre playoff inspection, they were offered another 4 days to sort it, otherwise they'd have to play the second leg at Lossiemouth (I think).

" Shabbab has left Fort William......he will be working for Belgium at the World Cup"

This statement on the screen as the programme ends....a bizarre end to a ridiculously one sided documentary.  I think the former captain of Fort summed it up best "it's fucking pish"

That was an enjoyable watch, but hardly a hard hitting expose of the incompetence that got Fort William into this position. It was especially generous to their chairman, who we know from his Twitter ranting is a fairly unpleasant character.

Iftikhar comes across a a very decent bloke, although I think he might be better suited to motivational speaking than football coaching. I wished I loved anything as much as he loves that tactics board.

I wonder how much of the interview with the ex-captain was completely unbroadcastable....

56 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Only the sub keeper Kulbacki according to this, his return to Poland shortly before the play off dates caused some bother. He's a decent goalkeeper. Might be more in the full squad but with them only having 2 subs it looks unlikely and they were very short of subs in April too.

Edited by welshbairn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When Saturday Comes is an excellent publication that I've subscribed to for decades but I was disappointed to see that they'd bought into the fairy tale in their wee piece about this programme in a recent issue.  However someone has written in to the latest issue and put them straight on a few things:

"... there is an inescapable suspicion that there may be some at the club who are happy to bask in a level of publicity that only exists because the team's results are consistently abysmal and much of their off-field organisation is completely shambolic."

Bob McPherson, Dundee, WSC 426.  

A doff of the cap to Bob!  

34 minutes ago, resk said:

When Saturday Comes is an excellent publication that I've subscribed to for decades but I was disappointed to see that they'd bought into the fairy tale in their wee piece about this programme in a recent issue.  However someone has written in to the latest issue and put them straight on a few things:

"... there is an inescapable suspicion that there may be some at the club who are happy to bask in a level of publicity that only exists because the team's results are consistently abysmal and much of their off-field organisation is completely shambolic."

Bob McPherson, Dundee, WSC 426.  

A doff of the cap to Bob!  

Their very openly MAGA chairman surely goes against WSCs politics as well.