Arbroath v Queens Park

Another tough game coming up for us, 3 games in and it’s been a tough set of fixtures. Think ideally we would only be 2 points better off.

Winning one of the first 2 games, not losing one of the first 2 games and getting beat at Dens is probably what most Arbroath fans would’ve seen as realistic.

However we never managed to get a win in one of they 2 games and now it’s something we really need to do fast because momentum and confidence is so important in this league. 

Queens Park on paper probably the most winnable of the 4 games but it’s going to be extremely tough they’re clearly a decent side and we are massively lacking goals. It’s a major issue and it needs addressed somehow or it’s going to be a long slog of a season. 

No idea what to expect in terms of result to be honest I don’t have much confidence in us at the moment but that changes quickly in football.

BOBBY LINN MUST PLAY. NO CENTRE HALVES OUT WIDE PLEASE.

Hopefully another good crowd and fingers crossed a good result. Feel like we are due one.

Be interesting to see what Coyle does for QP's defence in this one. Is this where Eze gets his debut? Bannon certainly did well against Thistle and he'll absolutely come good. It's good to see we now have greater depth in these positions too. 

I'd be keeping Williamson/Murray up top as well, they absolutely asked questions of Thistle's defence. Need to be doing better in midfield though, too easy to bypass.

6 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Is this where Eze gets his debut? Bannon certainly did well against Thistle and he'll absolutely come good. It's good to see we now have greater depth in these positions too. 

Nah wouldn’t play Eze at this stage. Would give him the next 3-4 weeks to fully sharpen up and get properly ready to go via friendlies and more training. Bannon has been absolutely superb so far and for an 18 year old, he shows an incredible amount of maturity on the pitch to suggest he’ll be fine if given the opportunity to start away at Arbroath. 

54 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Queens Park on paper probably the most winnable of the 4 games but it’s going to be extremely tough they’re clearly a decent side and we are massively lacking goals. It’s a major issue and it needs addressed somehow or it’s going to be a long slog of a season. 

Ayr fans said the same thing before the game last Friday, we're not falling for that one again.

Watched the Arbroath game on Friday night and there were highs and lows for me as a neutral. 2 goals away from home and could have had more is the big positive.

Low, creative and got supreme delivery. McKenna's strength and drive. Probably being asked to do too much right now.

Linn looks a far superior option to putting a square peg (Hancock) in a round hole.

Bobby is direct, a ball carrier, gets to the byline and even has a goal in him. Reminds me of Johnny Hayes not just in style of play but looking incredibly fit so late in his career. Mason looked lost out there wide left. Sure he's more suited to left back but will he get game time there in what is a strong Arbroath backline?

Fosu tried. Whether he's got enough goals in him I'm not sure. A partner up top and he might shine more. Definitely need another striker coming in. We aren't blessed with an abundance of strikers, so far from me to comment,  but Hilson and Donnelly aren't going to set the heather alight. Realise I'm just repeating what many fans are saying. Without a goalscorer or two it's hard to push promotion playoffs. Bunnet will make moves i'm certain. Arbroath have cash but won't be careless.

Gaston unusually had some scary moments. Still a top keeper so no worries.

As for this game, should be a fascinating encounter. Spiders coming off a brilliant win yesterday against a strong Thistle side, should have managed the second half better against Ayr and were competitive against Caley away with numerous chances of their own. 4 points from 9 but could have easily been more.

Spiders have strengthen from last season and certainly look comfortable in the league so far. Still need to tighten things at the back as 6 against in 3 games is a worry.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Ayr fans said the same thing before the game last Friday, we're not falling for that one again.

You see our game on Friday? Any chance we created we made an absolute mess of including a sitter from 8 yards out. Our 2 goals were incredibly jammy. A penalty (well deserved) and a scrambled in corner. 

44 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If we haven’t got a striker in by Saturday I’d go with Fosu up top again. Bobby in for Hancock is a must for me as well. 

What I would give to have Simon Murray back in maroon. 

It’s easily the best version I’ve seen of Simon Murray currently since he’s joined qp. He seems to have got over his injury woes now and it looks like he’s lost a bit of bulk over the summer and looks even more sharper now. 5 goals in all competitions already, hopefully continues on Saturday 

It is becoming harder each week to predict an outcome with any certainty; only three games in game and we've had the full range of emotions.

Am sure we will create a few good opportunities and allow Arbroath a wee shot at having a go too; it will all come down to who takes their chances. 

42 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

It is becoming harder each week to predict an outcome with any certainty; only three games in game and we've had the full range of emotions.

Am sure we will create a few good opportunities and allow Arbroath a wee shot at having a go too; it will all come down to who takes their chances. 

Aye this league is cut throat. At Gayfield we usually do create a whole lot of pressure on visiting teams, we are good at home, we have only lost to Hibs there in the last calendar year now that we are past the first game of the season. Last year we only lost to Inverness first game of league and Hibs in the Scottish. 

I just currently do not have much confidence in us at the moment. I can actually see another draw and that’s just not good enough for us, we really need to get a win on the board 

Would go with this.

GK - Gaston
LB - Hamilton
LCB - ToB
RCB - Little
RB - Thompson
LM - Linn
RCM - McKenna
LCM - Low
RM - Stewart
AM - Fosu
ST - Shanks

We need some strength, height and guile in midfield to give Low support. Would be able to have Fosu and McKenna swap at any point.

And Shanks needs to be given a start.

Linn also needs to start as Hancock is not a winger.

But can see Donkelly and Hilson starting this one.

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Would go with this.

GK - Gaston
LB - Hamilton
LCB - ToB
RCB - Little
RB - Thompson
LM - Linn
RCM - McKenna
LCM - Low
RM - Stewart
AM - Fosu
ST - Shanks

We need some strength, height and guile in midfield to give Low support. Would be able to have Fosu and McKenna swap at any point.

Agree with your team and everything you are saying but I feel like Donkelly is in really poor taste. Guy gives his all and has provided us with some great moments. Our first season in this league he scored some important goals for us. It’s not his fault DC signed him

Agree with your team and everything you are saying but I feel like Donkelly is in really poor taste. Guy gives his all and has provided us with some great moments. Our first season in this league he scored some important goals for us. It’s not his fault DC signed him

I agree, and anyway more of a giraffe.

No matter what we think of Donnelly and Hilson as players, we have to respect them and appreciate that they give 100% every time they play. I criticise them as much as the next man but only because I can see huge unfulfilled ability in both of them.

Personally I don’t think they should play as often as they do but if Dick picks them, what are they supposed to do, refuse to go on? I’m sure they’re very aware of how they’re perceived and I’ll bet they’re more gutted and frustrated than anyone.

I do think they are both good players with something to offer but they should be no more than fringe players at the moment, brought on to shore things up/protect a lead. They should never be brought on when we’re chasing a game but, as I said, it’s not their fault if they are.

What we also have to remember is that every single one of us would give both bollocks and a few teeth to have had the opportunity to pull on that shirt even once.

Come on guys, keep trying, score a few and get it right up us. I for one would be delighted to eat a huge slice of humble pie.

I agree with the posters above.  Donnelly is not the answer for us and not good enough, but he never stops trying, he always gives 100%, and always does his best every time he plays.  So calling him Donkelly is hugely disrespectful.  

I would go with Shanks up front, I don't think its fair to keep putting Fosu up front when he's clearly a midfielder.  Its not getting the best out of him.  

I was gonna call out the Donkelly pish but that’s been done. As for Saturday, regular GK and back 4, Linn on the left and 2 from 3 out of Fosu/Shanks/loanee please.

I detect some despondency after Friday but for me if this season is going to be a relegation battle then bring it on [emoji226] [emoji485]

I thought Bobby Linn would make most of his appearances off the bench again this season but after seeing the impact he made on Friday night when coming on I'd imagine DC will consider playing him from the start on Saturday. If you guys can get your noses in front then you've got a great opportunity to get the 3 points. 

A couple of the goals you lost at Dens were uncharacteristic however I doubt many teams will drag your defence/midfield around like Dundee did at times at the weekend.

21 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Need to be doing better in midfield though, too easy to bypass.

I thought the midfield showing on Saturday was a vast improvement and Coyle got it pretty much spot on.  Boeteng was class and exactly what we have been crying out for. 

16 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Would go with this.

GK - Gaston
LB - Hamilton
LCB - ToB
RCB - Little
RB - Thompson
LM - Linn
RCM - McKenna
LCM - Low
RM - Stewart
AM - Fosu
ST - Shanks

I agree that Bobby should play from the start.  BUT if he does then we MUST also play a holding/defensive midfield player which we don't have at the moment. We desperately need to get a said midfielder in and obviously a striker.