Stenny vs Sons

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That’s a superb result. 

Could Swifty be oot on his arse tonight with Stenny propping up the table?

We would not be so lucky.  Man now showing his worth, he can F*** Off now and take Forbes and Brennan with him.

We are slow and ponderous, there is no variation to our play, Swift does not know how to make changes when required. He still does not have a settled team FFS. He obviously thinks Forbes is a player.

It will be interesting to see if our Board has the balls to act and do the proper thing.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That’s a superb result. 

Could Swifty be oot on his arse tonight with Stenny propping up the table?

Dont think he'll be sacked, too early in the season. Although, I wouldn't be that bothered if he went. Swift's tactics and game management are poor and easily found out. Which is happening routinely.

He's insistant on playing a strategy and style of play that plainly just doesn't suit our players.

It just isn't effective enough or reliable. When we go more direct, play the ball on the ground forward, finding runs in behind, keep the work rate high and press higher up the pitch, we make chances and perform better.

Thought Dumbarton strolled that, a part from the stint in the second half that we came back into it and O'Reilly scored that well worked goal. They look good on the ball and composed. Gray looks a fine player. 

For Stenny, Walker was terrible today. Barely moves the ball forward and is routinely caught out of position. Somehow, Yeats gets subbed and Walker moved to left back where he was still mince. Tam Orr was dross, that's the worst I've seen him play I think. Brennan made saves for the camera, positioning was rotten and his distribution wasn't the best. Wedderburn was solid in the middle. 

Whilst not overly impressive in my opinion Dumbarton look like a team set up to do well in League 2 for sure, I'd imagine a few will need to hold hands up on farrell now if this keeps up. Carswell & Buchanan had good games and dealt with our pathetic attempt at 3pts easily.

Will give more thoughts on our vile team on our own thread later.

#thisisouryear

Never been happier to eat a big fat humble pie. 

Faz rightly got stick at the end of last season but he’s well and truly turned it around *so far*. Long may it continue.

I’m impressed with guys like Byrne, Blair, Lynas etc who were bang average L2 players according to former teams. I’m glad they’re finding their feet at the sons.

I hope we keep this momentum going!

17 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Dont think he'll be sacked, too early in the season. Although, I wouldn't be that bothered if he went. Swift's tactics and game management are poor and easily found out. Which is happening routinely.

He's insistant on playing a strategy and style of play that plainly just doesn't suit our players.

It just isn't effective enough or reliable. When we go more direct, play the ball on the ground forward, finding runs in behind, keep the work rate high and press higher up the pitch, we make chances and perform better.

Thought Dumbarton strolled that, a part from the stint in the second half that we came back into it and O'Reilly scored that well worked goal. They look good on the ball and composed. Gray looks a fine player. 

For Stenny, Walker was terrible today. Barely moves the ball forward and is routinely caught out of position. Somehow, Yeats gets subbed and Walker moved to left back where he was still mince. Tam Orr was dross, that's the worst I've seen him play I think. Brennan made saves for the camera, positioning was rotten and his distribution wasn't the best. Wedderburn was solid in the middle. 

Wedderburns forward passing was garbage

13 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Wedderburns forward passing was garbage

Didn't think any of our forward passing was any good. At least Nat imposed himself, won a lot of 50/50's he was in and covered ground. He stopped at least 2 or 3 counters by winning the ball back and kept possession fairly well. Tried a couple of 'hail mary' passes and one came off 😄. He wasn't our worst player today put it that way. 

Fair play - those are the three worst goals a team is likely to concede all season. Dumbarton's third, where Finlay Gray was allowed to run, unchecked, for 70 yards and have two opportunities to score, is the most pathetic, most pitiful I've ever seen Stenhousemuir concede. It felt like the death rattle of some miserable failed regime, not the fourth league game of a new campaign, and it's difficult to see how Stephen Swift comes back from this. He made numerous changes to the side that lost at Stirling Albion, he altered the formation and approach, and we still looked slow, ponderous and out of ideas against a fairly ordinary opponent.

I don't think Dumbarton were tremendous but aside from our second-half goal, we didn't ask a them a single question. Gregor Buchanan and Stuart Carswell are limited defenders but they sailed through the match and barely allowed Tam Orr a kick. Aron Lynas was good at full-back and Gray looks like a tenacious little player and bounced back after being chucked around by Nat Wedderburn. They took their time to get into the match but they competed well and scored at all the right times. The high point was John Gemmell's introduction, the big man wearing the 99 jersey like some daft jobber from Serie A, and I'm pleased he's back in the big time; he could be a useful asset over the course of the campaign.

Stenhousemuir started well enough, knocking the ball about, albeit without offering any real penetration, but began to wilt as soon as the Sons sussed them out. The opening goal, scored directly from a corner kick, was one of many shambles this afternoon. Conor Brennan has shown himself to be a good shot-stopper but there's always a feeling a mistake is in the post, and so it proved when he missed his punch on Ryan Blair's corner and allowed it to sail into the net. The second goal came from a long throw and somehow tumbled inside the box before deflecting off Martin McNiff's knee. There seemed to be a sense of disbelief when the ball bounced across the line.

The Warriors made a couple of changes and pushed forward (and it's dispiriting that team have looked at the best this season when trying to salvage a two-goal deficit). Euan O'Reilly's consolation might have come from a goalkeeping error but the interplay between him and Adam Brown in the build up was sublime. We couldn't build on it, despite throwing men forward, before Gray's netted the third at the death. Virtually the entire Norway Stand emptied.

It might sound a little perverse, but the third goal was a relief. Had Stenhousemuir finished strongly, narrowly losing, Swift could have spun the defeat as a sign that his players are doing the right things, his system and his formation is the right way to proceed, and everything will click at some point soon. But the way Gray gathered the ball, motored through several half-hearted challenges, and scored at the second time of asking, obliterates any of that, and he's now under real pressure to turn around this appalling start, the second appalling start he's made to a campaign as Stenny manager. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to his post-match interview on Warriors TV but the important questions are rarely asked and bizarre non-sequiturs put to him instead. I don't have much faith in him, if I'm being honest. He's brought some good players to the club but this team is unbalanced and lacking in some important areas and probably needs additions to bring it up to standard.

What a terrible showing that was today; what a terrible season it's been so far.

Won’t be getting carried away, given how well we started last season.

That said, it’s the brilliant start we needed, has eased the pressure on Farrell and there’s a real feel-good atmosphere at the moment.

A few fans of other clubs have said to me that we’re going to walk the league. I think anyone who really knows Dumbarton knows that definitely won’t be the case.

It’s also quite funny to see the difference in starts these two sides have had, given both sets of fans expectations pre-season. Just shows things can change really quickly with a few good/bad results. Another reason not to get carried away.

Sat watching that game thinking this is soooo bad. The worst ever. And then I realised that no, it wasn’t the worst ever it was on a par with quite a few performances under Swift. It was only as bad as the last worst ever performance.

Still can’t believe the goals we lost. We don’t pass the ball forward until we are two goals down. We don’t shoot until we are two goals down.

There was so much wrong but Scott Walker, Thomas Orr and Ross Forbes is a pretty good summary. Oh and add Sean Crighton to that.

Bryson sat on the bench? No Michael Miller?

I don’t think Swift will be in position much longer.

54 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Fair play - those are the three worst goals a team is likely to concede all season. Dumbarton's third, where Finlay Gray was allowed to run, unchecked, for 70 yards and have two opportunities to score, is the most pathetic, most pitiful I've ever seen Stenhousemuir concede. It felt like the death rattle of some miserable failed regime, not the fourth league game of a new campaign, and it's difficult to see how Stephen Swift comes back from this. He made numerous changes to the side that lost at Stirling Albion, he altered the formation and approach, and we still looked slow, ponderous and out of ideas against a fairly ordinary opponent.

I don't think Dumbarton were tremendous but aside from our second-half goal, we didn't ask a them a single question. Gregor Buchanan and Stuart Carswell are limited defenders but they sailed through the match and barely allowed Tam Orr a kick. Aron Lynas was good at full-back and Gray looks like a tenacious little player and bounced back after being chucked around by Nat Wedderburn. They took their time to get into the match but they competed well and scored at all the right times. The high point was John Gemmell's introduction, the big man wearing the 99 jersey like some daft jobber from Serie A, and I'm pleased he's back in the big time; he could be a useful asset over the course of the campaign.

Stenhousemuir started well enough, knocking the ball about, albeit without offering any real penetration, but began to wilt as soon as the Sons sussed them out. The opening goal, scored directly from a corner kick, was one of many shambles this afternoon. Conor Brennan has shown himself to be a good shot-stopper but there's always a feeling a mistake is in the post, and so it proved when he missed his punch on Ryan Blair's corner and allowed it to sail into the net. The second goal came from a long throw and somehow tumbled inside the box before deflecting off Martin McNiff's knee. There seemed to be a sense of disbelief when the ball bounced across the line.

The Warriors made a couple of changes and pushed forward (and it's dispiriting that team have looked at the best this season when trying to salvage a two-goal deficit). Euan O'Reilly's consolation might have come from a goalkeeping error but the interplay between him and Adam Brown in the build up was sublime. We couldn't build on it, despite throwing men forward, before Gray's netted the third at the death. Virtually the entire Norway Stand emptied.

It might sound a little perverse, but the third goal was a relief. Had Stenhousemuir finished strongly, narrowly losing, Swift could have spun the defeat as a sign that his players are doing the right things, his system and his formation is the right way to proceed, and everything will click at some point soon. But the way Gray gathered the ball, motored through several half-hearted challenges, and scored at the second time of asking, obliterates any of that, and he's now under real pressure to turn around this appalling start, the second appalling start he's made to a campaign as Stenny manager. I'd like to say I'm looking forward to his post-match interview on Warriors TV but the important questions are rarely asked and bizarre non-sequiturs put to him instead. I don't have much faith in him, if I'm being honest. He's brought some good players to the club but this team is unbalanced and lacking in some important areas and probably needs additions to bring it up to standard.

What a terrible showing that was today; what a terrible season it's been so far.

We are always looking for volunteers at Warriors TV. 

Feel free to stick around after the games and spend numerous hours a week to come along and ask these “important questions” 

Edited by Reecesfc