Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/22 - The race for Europe

Its so early in the season so not being overly concerned after today.But does Martindale seriously think his offence is conjusive to actually winning games or not.Many Livi fans would rightly contest that scenario. We summary make chances for our lone striker, but teams have gotten  wise to us.Dont want to hear Davie coming out with that statement last season that we wouldn't be relegated. Another striker in that position would prove,his blatherings could be right. Joel needs help.

Just watching the highlights certainly not a penalty. Down with Covid so that’s my first time seeing it. Out of interest though the Livi supporters claiming it was a terrible decision must have been in the home end because there is no way they would know from the other end of the pitch ?

2 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Just watching the highlights certainly not a penalty. Down with Covid so that’s my first time seeing it. Out of interest though the Livi supporters claiming it was a terrible decision must have been in the home end because there is no way they would know from the other end of the pitch ?

Saw it on a stream in real time, with replays as well that's why I was so confident

Stevie Hammel truly is an evil wizard. That penalty was even less of a penalty when I saw it on the highlights there, and I didn't think it was a penalty at the time.

If nothing else, at least Martindale will hate us more than he already did.

12 minutes ago, Swami said:

Oh man, I didn’t think that was a penalty at the game but it’s not even close. 

Same here. Sit in the Hunter stand near the Cooper and at the time I thought it hit his chest. And I am not paid to make decisions. We were all perplexed that a penalty was given. Sums up the officials performances. Garbage. 

Not complaining through. Bizarre in many ways that Livi cause the Old firm more problems than they do us. 

Take the result and always encouraging to get the 3 points without performing all that WELL. 

In the days before bluetooth headsets, vibrating watches and buttons in the flags the linemen were instructed to run and stand at the corner flag if they were sure they seen a penalty. It was done not to alert the crowd but allow the impression the referee made the call. I don't know if that is still the case due to technology, but it looked clear to me that the linesman felt it was and the referee acted with that as a backup.

Certainly the linesman had potentially the better view as the offender was turned side on and it was his stand side arm that was in question.

9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

In the days before bluetooth headsets, vibrating watches and buttons in the flags the linemen were instructed to run and stand at the corner flag if they were sure they seen a penalty. It was done not to alert the crowd but allow the impression the referee made the call. I don't know if that is still the case due to technology, but it looked clear to me that the linesman felt it was and the referee acted with that as a backup.

Certainly the linesman had potentially the better view as the offender was turned side on and it was his stand side arm that was in question.

Oh that was the linesman decision not the ref, the delay was the ref waiting on the linesman.

4 minutes ago, Lothiangamer said:

Please enlighten us to when these decisions have went in Livingstons favour? 

I already did giving an example. It’s just a fact though that when a fanbase convince themselves the refs have it on for them they will use every example they can to justify it while ignoring every decision that goes in their favour. Nothing I or anyone else says will change their mind, they will just dismiss it.

We weren’t quite up to the levels of previous games (narrow wins) so unsurprising this didn’t go as well but I did think it was enough for a draw and I think that would’ve been fair.

Obviously can’t legislate for the linesman making decisions on the basis of democracy (were the Motherwell players claiming it was blatant imaginative or cheating? ;)) and presenting the best goal scoring chance of the game to a team. There were some refereeing howlers across the country, mind you!

Funny how the narrative changes on a moment so small. We could be tied third on 7 points with ‘Well and Hearts and with a solid goal difference.

13 minutes ago, crispy said:

We weren’t quite up to the levels of previous games (narrow wins) so unsurprising this didn’t go as well but I did think it was enough for a draw and I think that would’ve been fair.

Obviously can’t legislate for the linesman making decisions on the basis of democracy (were the Motherwell players claiming it was blatant imaginative or cheating? ;)) and presenting the best goal scoring chance of the game to a team. There were some refereeing howlers across the country, mind you!

Funny how the narrative changes on a moment so small. We could be tied third on 7 points with ‘Well and Hearts and with a solid goal difference.

The bigger example of a narrative change was the small moment when Lamie nodded that goal in last season.

16 minutes ago, crispy said:

Imagine what you could have done and achieved if you came out in the first half and actually had oomph and something about you. Not that we were much better but there was something.

You've got a well drilled team, can probably cite consistency behind the scenes and in the squad now, above league average success in the transfer market and set yourselves up as hard to beat over tucking teams away. It was always destined to be a slugfest determined by small margins. Over our at least three games this season will be the time to see if the decisions went one way.

1 hour ago, Lothiangamer said:

Please enlighten us to when these decisions have went in Livingstons favour? 

Whether they have or whether they haven't, you're more than due a few upcoming dodgy decisions in your favour after that abomination. 

It may be small consolation, but at least that "penalty" (and yer man getting sent off) saved both teams from the ignominy of what would otherwise have been the shortest Sportscene "highlights" sequence ever.