Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/22 - The race for Europe

I sit in the wing of the Cooper nearest the Hunter stand, so pretty much right behind the incident and got to admit i was quite surprised at getting the penalty, looked innocuous enough to me but a couple of the "Well players claiming for it seemed pretty certain. Will need to see it back, but we'll take it along with the win in what was a fairly forgettable afternoon in the most part.

3 points, joint second overnight at least, and £180 coupon up. It's been a pretty pleasing afternoon for oneself, I must say, and the Hammell wagon keeps on rolling. Happy Saturday one and all.

Didn’t have a great view of the penalty but immediate thought was it was harsh.

Red card I thought was very harsh. First I agreed with a yellow but the second was the kind of nigly fouls the Scottish game is full of and, in isolation, definitely not worthy of a second yellow for me. 

Very little between the teams really and I don’t think we could have complained with a draw but if anyone was going to win I’d perhaps say we just about shaded it as Kelly really didn’t have to do anything.

Back four looked good to me, kept Nouble out the game completely. Thought the midfield worked nicely but the forward players were a bit isolated, particularly in the first half. 

Would give MOTM to SOD, thought that was a really solid performance from him today.

From my point of view in the john hunter stand right at that corner, it did hit the guys elbow......

..... but his harm was tucked into his body and there was no were to move it (which I believe means its not a penalty). I'll have to watch sportscene again to see if they have better angles but the Motherwell camera boy was right ar that corner too.

The players claimed a penalty, it was the other side of the post from me so no clue.  In a different game the two fouls for the red would go without further punishment (not if committed by the same player).  But as any foul could warrant a yellow then the red was within the broad spectrum of possible outcomes for the ref, but harsh.

Can't believe we're actually trying to play football now. Moment of the match was probably SOD running the length of the pitch and making the Livi keeper panic and fire the ball right out of play.

All in all thought we were very comfortable and definitely looked the more likely of the two teams to actually do anything.

2 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Can't believe we're actually trying to play football now. Moment of the match was probably SOD running the length of the pitch and making the Livi keeper panic and fire the ball right out of play.

All in all thought we were very comfortable and definitely looked the more likely of the two teams to actually do anything.

Agree with your sentiments mate.Well were comfortable in an otherwise forgettable game.Just a pity it will be remembered for an embarrassing decision by the officials.

10 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Agree with your sentiments mate.Well were comfortable in an otherwise forgettable game.Just a pity it will be remembered for an embarrassing decision by the officials.

Tbh I don't think it will be remembered at all.

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Swings and roundabouts, you’ve also had these decisions in your favour the same as everyone else.

Very few times do we get them. Always seems to be the same sentence getting wheeled out when we call out referees :D 

That first half was brutal. Both teams took turns at passing it about in defence before losing the ball on longer balls forward. We were far too slow on the ball.

I think we just about deserved the win because we were more positive. Sol and Lamie dealt with the big fella very well and we were sound defensively for the first time in what feels like forever.

Didn’t really see the penalty incident so I won’t comment and I think both the yellow cards were soft that led to the red card. Although he deserved a yellow for wearing tights in summer.

From a Livi perspective, a decent performance. First half was Motherwell making the play, Livi defending. Second half, Livi came out with the defensive line a bit higher and were starting to have periods of control themselves. That was then undone by conceding a penalty. After that, Livi responded well and were continuing to have some good possession, get on the front foot and push Motherwell back but again, shot themselves in the foot just as things were looking up. This time getting a player sent off. Had the penalty not been conceded, a draw was a strong possibility but a win unlikely. So only a potential point dropped, not a big loss. Montano looked really good again today, penalty concession aside. Fitzwater was excellent. Obileye and George both fine. Omeonga had a good game, one sumptious pass for Devlin to run onto in the box second half. Nouble couldn't get a sniff as Johansen and Lamie were very good. I was pleased Mullin came on and he'll have moved up the pecking order for next week with Bahamboula now suspended.

Edited by FreedomFarter

22 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

That first half was brutal. Both teams took turns at passing it about in defence before losing the ball on longer balls forward. We were far too slow on the ball.

I think we just about deserved the win because we were more positive. Sol and Lamie dealt with the big fella very well and we were sound defensively for the first time in what feels like forever.

Didn’t really see the penalty incident so I won’t comment and I think both the yellow cards were soft that led to the red card. Although he deserved a yellow for wearing tights in summer.

It's for religious reasons, he can't show any skin from his bellybutton downwards. 

21 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I think we just about deserved the win because we were more positive

We do the same every away match. Absolutely nothing the first half, just defend. Then push the defensive line a bit higher, press higher, and commit more men forward second half. Today the Motherwell goal came right as Livi were doing our "opening up" thing which stopped that in its tracks and then we got a man sent off soon after. So today Livi ended up never getting out the blocks and it looked more negative than I think was intended. 

Only talking point in an otherwise forgettable game was that non pen.Utterly shocking decision. Bahamboula should have known better after that decision that it wasn't going to be our day.Credit to Davie post match for keeping his mouth shut.Still doesn't detract from a poor display from us.

Yeh - let's forget about that one happened - although it was good for a sun tan in the front of the Hunter.

It's (maybe literally) the least chances that an opposition team have created, so it was a very comfortable afternoon for us. I would struggle to go for anyone other than defenders for MOTM - I think I'll give it to Sol, who's had a rough few months - he dominated Nouble today and that was important.

One pleasing thing was that for the 2nd week in a row, our player going to the back post on a corner got us a goal (or a soft penalty this week) - a wee training ground thing I think.

As expected, Livi were far more solid defensively than Aberdeen and our midfield wasn't given the space to do what they wanted but we never resorted to aimless punts which was good, even if our play was a bit slow.

9/12 points is a long way above any of our expectations - so lets take it and move on.

I've been supporting Motherwell for 31 years and that might be the first time we've been given a penalty and I've not been shouting for it. 

Genuinely thought the ref had pointed for a goal kick and I was about to kick off as I was certain it was a corner. 

Not a great game. Delighted with a 1-0 win

Thank U Next GIF by Ariana Grande

Both the penalty and the red card were poor decisions. I'm assuming the penalty was given because Montano's arm is out, so the linesman thinks it touches it? Not sure either yellow was deserved either tbf, both soft, both giveable.

Meh, either way, we didn't deserve anything. Let's hope for better at Pittodrie next week.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

From a Livi perspective, a decent performance. First half was Motherwell making the play, Livi defending. Second half, Livi came out with the defensive line a bit higher and were starting to have periods of control themselves. That was then undone by conceding a penalty. After that, Livi responded well and were continuing to have some good possession, get on the front foot and push Motherwell back but again, shot themselves in the foot just as things were looking up. This time getting a player sent off. Had the penalty not been conceded, a draw was a strong possibility but a win unlikely. So only a potential point dropped, not a big loss. Montano looked really good again today, penalty concession aside. Fitzwater was excellent. Obileye and George both fine. Omeonga had a good game, one sumptious pass for Devlin to run onto in the box second half. Nouble couldn't get a sniff as Johansen and Lamie were very good. I was pleased Mullin came on and he'll have moved up the pecking order for next week with Bahamboula now suspended.

Aye its been frustrating seeing Mullin and Anderson drop out of the starting line up, both started the pre season and cup games in good form, dear knows why Mullin has been binned till today. 

Was Anderson injured in training, or in the Hibs game, he isn't having a great time of it with injuries, was injured in the warm ups earlier in the season too. Hopefully it isn't serious, and he's available against Aberdeen, usually does well against them scoring the odd goal. Good seeing Penrice on the bench too, take it he isn't yet ready for a game and was just making up the bench and being in and around the match day squad today.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye its been frustrating seeing Mullin and Anderson drop out of the starting line up, both started the pre season and cup games in good form, dear knows why Mullin has been binned till today. 

Was Anderson injured in training, or in the Hibs game, he isn't having a great time of it with injuries, was injured in the warm ups earlier in the season too. Hopefully it isn't serious, and he's available against Aberdeen, usually does well against them scoring the odd goal. Good seeing Penrice on the bench too, take it he isn't yet ready for a game and was just making up the bench and being in and around the match day squad today.

All three of Mullin, Anderson and Bahamboula were excellent in the league cup games, I thought. They only lost their places in the side due to us playing Rangers in that first league game so going with a conservative set up which worked well so has been maintained since. When Bahamboula came on today, the score was still 0-0 and he definitely pepped up our attack a bit. His passing was crisp and he has Odin Bailey levels of first touch and dribbling ability. Isma came on today where Anderson normally would've done and it was a stark downgrade. Isma has his strengths, you'd fancy him to score if the ball was at his feet in the box, but he lacks mobility and can't get onto vertical through balls. I've no idea why Anderson was absent and I hope he's back next week. Mullin came on when we were already a goal down and a man down so he had little chance to do anything. Motherwell showed last week you can go up to Aberdeen and attack them with good results so maybe we'll see either Mullin or Anderson start next match. Penrice coming back will be great too, aye. He'll potentially be another option for that left centre mid position Kelly has been playing as well as competing with Montano for the left back slot.