Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/22 - The race for Europe

Absolutely no offence to the Livi boys at all, seem like a nice bunch, but f**k the niceties.

Home win and clean sheet, please and thanks.*

(Won't happen, our defence needs surgery, Nouble looks very handy and will give them a torrid time. BTTS banker and could go either way).

Two teams on decent form.Hard to call.Being at home gives Well a slight advantage. Livi,s midfield have been tremendous thus far and will have a big say in the outcome here.Would be great to see Anderson finally get a start up front with big Joel.But I won't hold my breath.Martindale set in his ways.🤷‍♂️.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Apparently MartinFail (Martindale) has literally never beaten us?

I'm glad you explained the joke in brackets, I wouldn't have got it otherwise.

I think that's true, last time we beat you IIRC was 2020 when Aaron-Taylor Sinclair scored in a 1-0. Been a good couple of years

3 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I'm glad you explained the joke in brackets, I wouldn't have got it otherwise.

I think that's true, last time we beat you IIRC was 2020 when Aaron-Taylor Sinclair scored in a 1-0. Been a good couple of years

The first time the Mugabe up top tactic was unleashed. A seminal moment in modern Motherwell history.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Maybe that's why he seems to really fucking hate us.

The Covid game against Livi last season where there was only 1000 in was interesting for the sheer volume (in both senses) of moaning coming from Martindale as you could hear every word from the East Stand - full pished uncle mode.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

The Covid game against Livi last season where there was only 1000 in was interesting for the sheer volume (in both senses) of moaning coming from Martindale as you could hear every word from the East Stand - full pished uncle mode.

Aye. Last year sky did a wee feature on him and had a light-hearted bit showing him yelling constantly during training. He came across as absolutely insufferable. 

I quite liked him here mind you...

Screenshot_2022-08-18-15-14-22-33_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Should've heard him and Lee Johnson on Saturday, hilarious. Both trying to go for each other and amidst it all a shout from the stands "You're so small Johnson, so fucking small" :D Not that Martindale is much bigger, could be smaller to be fair. Either way it seemed to rattle the tiny Hibs manager.

Well I have seen us 3 times this season. Sligo twice and St Johnstone.

I am going on Saturday. Congratulations Livi……..

Although there is an air of optimism for at least a short time. If we play with openness and intensity v Aberdeen and Livi win then fair play. 

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Maybe that's why he seems to really fucking hate us.

His wikipedia claims he played for Motherwell at youth level and he's spoken of his strong personal relationship with Liam Kelly (whose brother is a current starter for Livi), so I'd be surprised if he's anti-Motherwell. I remember reading the Motherwell thread on here last season and there was understandable annoyance he'd said he thought van Veen might be bid for by a bigger club. In mitigation, he's used to viewing things from a Livi perspective where the capacity to hold onto stand-out players is lower than what it is for Motherwell. What he said about van Veen he'd regularly been saying the same about his own player Anderson at that time.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

His wikipedia claims he played for Motherwell at youth level and he's spoken of his strong personal relationship with Liam Kelly (whose brother is a current starter for Livi), so I'd be surprised if he's anti-Motherwell. I remember reading the Motherwell thread on here last season and there was understandable annoyance he'd said he thought van Veen might be bid for by a bigger club. In mitigation, he's used to viewing things from a Livi perspective where the capacity to hold onto stand-out players is lower than what it is for Motherwell. What he said about van Veen he'd regularly been saying the same about his own player Anderson at that time.

The Van Veen chat was just a weird thing to say. I mean, can you imagine Hammell rocking up to his press conference tomorrow and coming out with "Livi will be lucky to keep Nouble this window? I'd be shocked if he's still at the club."?

Tbh, that was just one of a few chippy things he's said - the main one that caught the attention of a few of us was when he predicted a raft of teams who he expected to finish in the Top 6.

“I think Aberdeen will still be in and around but I think you can see the top four,” he said. “I think you will be looking at Rangers, Celtic, and Hearts and Hibs will be a toss of a coin. That’s your top four in my opinion.

“Fifth and sixth – I think Aberdeen will be there and it will be a fight between St Johnstone, Dundee United and maybe even ourselves. But I think it will be a flip of a coin."

Link

A friendly reminder of the league table when he made that comment:

1071001113_ScreenShot2022-08-18at22_00_43.thumb.png.72f282b1788dd2dd751e1a88103396c7.png

In fairness, it's really just a bit. I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting he has a deep-seated hatred of Motherwell. 

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The Van Veen chat was just a weird thing to say. I mean, can you imagine Hammell rocking up to his press conference tomorrow and coming out with "Livi will be lucky to keep Nouble this window? I'd be shocked if he's still at the club."?

I think it was Martindale trying to compliment van Veen's ability because he does this with Livi players regularly, he says bigger clubs will be bidding for them in the next transfer window as a way of praising recent performances. Yet doing it with another club's player isn't the same as doing it with your own player, obviously, so aye he definitely shouldn't have said that with van Veen.

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, that was just one of a few chippy things he's said - the main one that caught the attention of a few of us was when he predicted a raft of teams who he expected to finish in the Top 6.

Aye, that's weird. Motherwell not finishing top 6 is unusual and you'd think he'd know that.

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness, it's really just a bit. I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting he has a deep-seated hatred of Motherwell. 

Oh, sure, I know. Similarly, I'm not trying to white knight for him or anything. Just throwing in a wee shite take for interest's sake.