Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/22 - The race for Europe

Missed this thread before starting one of my own but anyways…

Plenty of intrigue for this one; 

Is Stevie Hammell the ML1 Guardiola? Will we maintain our excellent home record against Livi, or will big Nouble simply ragdoll our dodgy defence and take the points back to West Lothian. 

It’s fair to say there’s a lot more positivity around Fir Park heading into this one, and we’ll hopefully have a couple of new signings to bolster the squad along with Ricky Lamie returning from suspension. Wouldn’t be upset if we took a point providing we see some further progress in terms of playing style and a continued move away from Alexander’s game plan.

2-2 thriller with Van Veen and Shields scoring for the good guys. Nouble and whoever takes penalties (Obileye?) for Livi.

7 minutes ago, dezz said:

Missed this thread before starting one of my own but anyways…

Plenty of intrigue for this one; 

Is Stevie Hammell the ML1 Guardiola? Will we maintain our excellent home record against Livi, or will big Nouble simply ragdoll our dodgy defence and take the points back to West Lothian. 

It’s fair to say there’s a lot more positivity around Fir Park heading into this one, and we’ll hopefully have a couple of new signings to bolster the squad along with Ricky Lamie returning from suspension. Wouldn’t be upset if we took a point providing we see some further progress in terms of playing style and a continued move away from Alexander’s game plan.

2-2 thriller with Van Veen and Shields scoring for the good guys. Nouble and whoever takes penalties (Obileye?) for Livi.

I think this is a dangerous game. Even allowing for the fact that Livi are the team that difficulty wise (for us) vary the most home vs away, I think expectations will be high after pittodrie and Livi have started the season well - so I can't see that we'll be strolling this and it will need a bit of (very rare) patience from our support.

My main concern (amongst many) with Alexander's approach was that although we were set up to stop "bigger" teams playing against us, we weren't so great at breaking down teams that would do the same to us - so my hope is that we've actually got a way of playing under Hammy that is suited to precisely this sort of game. 

I was assuming that we would add to the squad before Saturday but who knows - so my main concern is the defence and our propensity to give away shite goals (the 2nd on Saturday was yet another example, even if the first was just a good goal).

Oh - and if we don't start with the same midfield as Saturday, I'm on the Hammell Out bus :)

42 minutes ago, dezz said:

whoever takes penalties (Obileye?) for Livi.

Sean Kelly looks to have taken responsibility for penalties after Holt took over from Obileye.

We don't tend to do well at Fir Park but Nouble has made better defenders than Ricki Lamie look like wet paper bags so it could be interesting. Mugabe also looks liable to a headsgone at any moment so hopefully we can take advantage of that. Would take a point right now considering our previous struggles there. Would love Sean Kelly to smash a thunderb*****d passed his wee brother

This is the sort of game which screams disaster. Optimism of a new style, a good result last week, an overly expectant home support and an on-form opponent both difficult to play against while having a massive goal threat going forward? 

I wouldn't be unhappy with a point by any means either.

What alternate universe have we wandered into where Nouble is now predicted, even expected, to be scoring goals.🤣

Even before Motherwell got a great win i wouldn't have been over confident going into this game, if we manage to get all 3 pts here it would be a far bigger deal than beating Hibs with a latish winner. No disrespect to Hibs but we don't exactly find it difficult winning games against them. Motherwell are a tough nut to crack for us, would be massive getting a win here. My season expectations would be going through the roof.

Yeah we've been shocking at Fir Park. A win here, giving us 9 points out of 12 with the only loss being the narrow loss to Rangers, would put us in a stunning spot at this point in the season. Particularly when we haven't even played any of the 'weaker' teams yet.

Having said that, no way it's happening. Fir Park is a nightmare place for us. Fitz to get sent off after 10 minutes in what will turn out to be his final appearance with us and a 4-0 defeat.

43 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I know people are worried but my memories of playing Livi at home is they are generally pretty dreadful against us.

Pretty much this :D We always f**k it up - if we don't f**k it up this time then we're off to Europe probably ;) 

Was thinking about this 3-2 game - when we were last a vaguely entertaining football team - the bit with the 2 penalties was the best passage of play that season [emoji4]

Jeez...it wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things but it's frightening how different our team is now. I believe there's only Scott Pittman left from that squad....unless you count Gary Maley who didn't play and only registered as a player this season to sit on the bench in the game Stryjek was suspended for